PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Wheel Bearing Seals??

amshaw
26th September 2006, 03:30 PM
G'Day All,
Im putting LR hubs on our Dingo OffRoad camper. The bearings are in very good cond and will got into the new hub.

Ive never changed bearings before so I have a question.

The seal at the back of the hub....how do you get it out without stuffing it? Are they usally pressed in or sealed with locktite etc? Seems very tight in there.

Any ideas please?

p38arover
26th September 2006, 04:43 PM
Usually you stuff the seal getting it out. They are cheap so don't worry about that.

Just don't damage the number on the seal, you may need that to get new ones. In fact, get the new ones first.

Having a tool like the one with the red handle makes it much easier to remove the seal:

http://www.labsafety.com/store/assets/product_images_XL/LBM70598Z.JPG

Ron

amshaw
26th September 2006, 09:33 PM
Thanks or that...They are out.

All I did was turn the hub so the seal was facing down to workbench, put a brick either side and then got a larhe cold chsile and taped it out.

Come out with noo probs and no damage at all :)

But get this the org bearing are to small for the new hubs ! :twisted: I cleaned the bearing all up and repacked with new grease,put the rear bearing and seal on and I noticed the whole hub seemed to go back a far way by looking that the axle thread.

Put front bearing on and slowly eased in but there is about about a 3mm gap between the hub and the bearing and I put the nut on and did it up tight and have leaps of slop.....so I guess back to the trailer place to get bigger bearings after they told me they would fit ! :twisted:

langy
26th September 2006, 10:07 PM
Pardon me for asking - I know this is a really stupid question, but is the 2nd part of the bearing - the track it runs on, is it still in the hub? That may account for the slop, as LR bearings don't usually get mistaken for others

p38arover
26th September 2006, 11:18 PM
In trailer bearings, there appears to be two sizes - Holden and Falcon.

Which do you have?

Ron

amshaw
27th September 2006, 01:27 PM
Pardon me for asking - I know this is a really stupid question, but is the 2nd part of the bearing - the track it runs on, is it still in the hub? That may account for the slop, as LR bearings don't usually get mistaken for others

Yep got it in one....I still had the sim's in the hub :angel: :wasntme: Oh well Live and learn I guess.

amshaw
27th September 2006, 01:31 PM
In trailer bearings, there appears to be two sizes - Holden and Falcon.

Which do you have?

Ron

Im not really sure....the front is fairly small and the rear is much larger if that helps at all ?????? Im guessing Holden as I think Ford are bigger ?????

Reads90
27th September 2006, 01:45 PM
where did you get the hubs from
been tring to get some and having real probelm. and don't all say that alko or what ever they are. They are bloody useless and keep saying to me . Nah don't do anything for land rovers, can't help you good bye

p38arover
27th September 2006, 03:04 PM
been tring to get some and having real probelm. and don't all say that alko or what ever they are. They are bloody useless and keep saying to me . Nah don't do anything for land rovers, can't help you good bye

What happens when you:

(a) Go into ALKO with a printout of their page with the LR hubs listed?

Or

(b) You ring up and ask for a price on hub xyz (without mentioning Land Rover)?

Ron

amshaw
28th September 2006, 12:29 AM

Mate, I got them from our local Boat, trailer type place. He had to order them in.

But I was happy at $45 ea including gst, post and nuts.

Sorry I have no idea where he got them from....cant be that hard....If I can get them here in Hamiton they must be easy to get.

Reads90
28th September 2006, 05:57 AM
Mate, I got them from our local Boat, trailer type place. He had to order them in.

But I was happy at $45 ea including gst, post and nuts.

Sorry I have no idea where he got them from....cant be that hard....If I can get them here in Hamiton they must be easy to get.

phoned Alko still a pain in the ar*e but got a price. $77 + GST plus bearings (each). But they don't have any in stock and will order them and will take time, How long , they don' know.
Think the brissy one is ran by a load of toyota drivers with a chip on their shoulders:D

amshaw
28th September 2006, 09:19 AM
Maybe I can a pair for you and send up to ya ???

Just to confirm do you want hubs to suit Early Rangie and Series 1 Disco rims? Thats what I got.

I know the hubs to suit series 2 Disco & Rangie '95 on are harder to get or much dearer....cant rembmber which.:confused: