PDA

View Full Version : Time to upgrade the Garmin gps 76 to a map source model

Gidget
2nd October 2006, 06:11 PM
I have a Garmin gps 76 & am going to upgrade to a unit with a map base.

I use it in the 4by in conjunction with laptop & oziexplorer. The same gps also has to be strapped to the bike, hence the need for a map base. The only other thing this superman of gps's has to do is be of use in the boat.

Not to much to ask is it.

Garmin have the gps76map cx is which is a good unit (with 20 channel sattalite & mini sd card slot) & an external arial jack.
This means I can use my old arial & mounts, but they don't have a topo map base to purchase & you can't enter any other source of maps in to the unit.

Miggellan have their range either the explorer 600 or the xl model, they only have a 12 channel sattilite, but still have a sd card slot.
They do have their topo map base to use, great,,,,,, not really because they don't have a external arial jack for when in use in the 4by,,,,,,,damn.

Any input appreciated.

Phoenix
3rd October 2006, 07:00 AM
You can't put tracks4australia on it through the USB cable?

gruntfuttock
3rd October 2006, 07:09 AM
I have the Magellen 600 and it does come with a USB connection. It is incorperated in the external power leed.

I am bbut a novice in the GPS game so but if you can geta fix with 12 satelites what is the difference if you geta fix with 20? They all have inbuilt errors so they are not as accurate as they could be. I am quite happy with my 600. They also have their own mapping software, "mapsend" which you can download for free. Just how it compares with Ozzie Explorer I do not know. I have tried Ozzie Explorer and I find the hassle of loading the ajasent maps a pain in the çüäöâ. But then again it was onlythe trial version and I might not have been doing things correctly

slipedisk
3rd October 2006, 09:18 AM
I have a GPS for sale with all the gear on another sight, price is now ONO.

Cheers.
http://www.fishsa.com/cgi-bin/forum/forum.pl?num=1159399289

Gidget
3rd October 2006, 12:15 PM
weiry unless I join I can't veiw that link, so if you want to post some info up, or put it in the markets section on here, so I & others can view it.

Bush65
3rd October 2006, 05:57 PM
You can't put tracks4australia on it through the USB cable?
GPSOz supplies the gps76map cx with tracks4australia pre-loaded on the SD card. Speed cameras, red light cameras and school zones are pre-loaded on request.

Bush65
3rd October 2006, 06:07 PM
...Miggellan have their range either the explorer 600 or the xl model, they only have a 12 channel sattilite, but still have a sd card slot.
They do have their topo map base to use, great,,,,,, not really because they don't have a external arial jack for when in use in the 4by,,,,,,,damn...
You can use a re-radiating antenna with the explorist units. More expensive than a normal antenna unfortunately.

Bush65
3rd October 2006, 06:12 PM
...I have tried Ozzie Explorer and I find the hassle of loading the ajasent maps a pain in the çüäöâ...
Oziexplorer changes maps automatically in moving map mode.

gruntfuttock
3rd October 2006, 07:48 PM
Like I said, it was only a trial version and I most likely was not using it properly