PDA

View Full Version : Installing a Icom 400 Pro

cal415
10th October 2006, 11:10 PM
Hi All,
I am installing a Icom 400 pro in my D2, just wanted to ask if anyone else has one of these setup in the D2 and where you have mounted it. I also want to know if i really need to wire the unit directly to the battery or if i can draw power from somewhere else in the cab.

Thanks,

Mick.

DEFENDERZOOK
10th October 2006, 11:15 PM
dunno about location of the unit.....
but if you plan to run it at 25 watts or more......i would run it to the battery.....
if you will run it only at 5 watts......via the accessories switch should be fine.....
you could take a feed off the cigarrette lighter socket........

Wortho
11th October 2006, 12:36 AM
Hi Mick, i'd run it to the battery it's not that much more work really and your inverter plugs into your ciggie lighter from memory(well it was when you plugged into mine to charge the radios) so you don't want to overload that,it's only light wiring there remember.

altech
11th October 2006, 04:45 PM
Hi , location I put mine in the overhead console and cut out some roof lining ,just the size of radio so the heat can escape and that will just sit in there, no mounting screws needed , power I got from the sunroof switch which has it's own fuse and anntena I mounted on the driver side where the gutter ends at the front screen , so there little coax cable needed,
cheers4now alex:)

JES
12th October 2006, 09:32 AM
I would spend the time running it to the battery, cause the Icom 400 will power down every time the ignition is turned off if it's running to the cig lighter requiring you to turn it on each time you start, and they have that wonderful piercing note every time you turn it on :twisted:

DEFENDERZOOK
12th October 2006, 11:26 PM
heres a question for you....are you running dual batteries....?

if you are....it should be hooked up to the auxillary battery......

Bush65
13th October 2006, 08:36 PM
I have a 621 in the disco. Similar width and height to the 400 but a little deeper, and does not have the speaker at the front.

I mounted it underneath the overhead console, with the power lead and coax run above the console to the A-pillar.

I would connect the power and earth to the battery terminals.

BTW, if you want to program the 400, I have the software and cable and I don't think you are too far away from me.

DEFENDERZOOK
13th October 2006, 08:46 PM
BTW, if you want to program the 400, I have the software and cable and I don't think you are too far away from me.

accept this offer.......:D :D :D

fernockulated
14th October 2006, 08:01 PM
i also know someone with the software and cabling but not sure on the programming side of it,am thinking of getting one of these units b4 xmas:cool:

incisor
20th October 2006, 02:21 PM
i thought about getting the icom, but i only have basic needs so got a gme 3200 from prestige... what can you use the other channels for once programmed in ? (legally)

waynep
20th October 2006, 02:31 PM
Another vote for wiring straight to the battery ...and yes to the second battery if you have one. so if you foget ot turn it off it won't flatten your starting battery.

Put a fuse or circuit breaker in line close to the battery ( one of those waterproof ones ). Use a fairly thick cable to minimise voltage drop.

Bush65
21st October 2006, 07:41 AM
i thought about getting the icom, but i only have basic needs so got a gme 3200 from prestige... what can you use the other channels for once programmed in ? (legally)
The only thing that you can legally use the other channels for is recieve only. In which case you can scan some police etc. frequencies, but many of these are changing to digital/trunking.

The extra channels should not be considered the only extra feature of the Icom. Compared to other cb uhf radios, the icom is better made.

It is a 25W commercial radio adapted to cb by programming the allocated cb frequencies and restricting them to 5W. The others are just cheap, low powered, cb uhf radios - unsuitable for commercial use.

Re-programming is needed to increase the power and to recieve/transmit on other frequencies. The factory squelch setting should be adjusted to recieve weaker signals.

fernockulated
16th December 2006, 09:45 PM
Got my icom 400 this week ,was having trouble trying to find a mount point that was suitable,went with the passenger side of the console with dash mount for mic,direct wired to second battery,and yes ,i can vouch for that piercing squeel on startup:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

and i thought that all the Richard Craniums got left behind on the old 27 Mhz band,have had to listen to all sorts of c-rap this week ,seems the "f" word is OK up on uhf,as is every second word on ch 7,as well as some brain dead moron who likes to bait every other user with button pushing,radio playing and invites for all and sundery to come and beat up on him,and when he has had enough of their playing ,he will kick their ass:eek:

someone suggested reducing the squelch settings,did that and put them rite back up again,so as not to have to listen to all the rubbish from Brisvegas:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

sclarke
17th December 2006, 08:43 AM
I'm cheezed off as i have a Philips PRM8030, its a great rig. But now the plods have moved to digital i cant receive it.
so my 25W UHF CB is now just that....