PDA

View Full Version : mythbusters monday night

CHRIS aka GWH
2nd November 2006, 06:12 PM
did you see mythbusters monday night?

I didn't get to see the whole thing due to dad-taxi bookings and came in on the end of it. From what I gather they ran an old (looked 80's vintage) diesel merc on diesel & logged its fuel economy then swapped to straight, used fast food fryer oil. Ecoonomies were similar and no noticable performance change in the car (it is a merc though ;) ). I didn't notice if they tried a cold start though....

was interesting stuff, i wish i hadn't missed three quarters of it,

i remember in Landrover Owners Monthly (the UK rag) an article about a guy who used old vat oil and the government ended up making him log his travel so they could collect the tax they were missing in fuel revenue.

this may have been discussed already - i haven't checked and can be lazy at times :angel:

dobbo
2nd November 2006, 06:15 PM
There is a person around my area with a D2 TD5 chip machine, I wish them all the luck in the world but wouldn't be doing it myself

langy
3rd November 2006, 06:49 AM
I saw mythbusters monday - the bit on used veg oil went well. Very sketchy of course, and in all probability a nice warm day in San Francisco. Didn't show the exhaust fumes - and it seemed to be a hot start. A merc that age would be indirect injection, unlike Tdi's /Td5, which means (I believe) that the size of the merc injector nozzle holes are bigger - allowing use of less viscous fuel. Also different style of injector pump- inline rather that rotary. It would gunk up the engine a bit, but wouldn't kill it. Quoted 33 but I think they meant 23mpg doing laps around an old airfield. Presume nice steady driving - works out at 10L/100 k, which if they drove about 60km/h without stopping is OK. 33mpg works out at 7L/100k - a little too optomistic. You didn't miss much re the veg oil, they only showed getting it and straining it through lab paper - then the dino diesel run, then the veg run.

Norm Mueller
5th November 2006, 09:16 PM
My father got some cheap canola oil from ALDI (it was $1.40 a litre when diesel was $1.50 so he bought 100 litres!). When he runs it in his 80 Series crusher he gets better performance and economy, but he needs to start and stop on diesel (he has the twin tank setup on the standard 4.2 diesel).

isuzurover
6th November 2006, 05:20 PM
There are lots of people running on SVO or WVO (straight Veg oil / Waste Veg oil) - also called SCO/UCO (u=used c=cooking).

If you want to do it all year round you need a pre-heater to make sure the viscosity is never too high.

Check out this site for more info:
http://www.biofuelsforum.com