PDA

View Full Version : Hubs for c/t

Discoduck
8th November 2006, 07:30 PM
I have a Disco 2.
Our c/t has Toyota huds with 15'rims that matched my last truck.No it wasnot a tojo.It was a Isusu Mu.
My question is how difficult and $$$$ is it to change hubs over?

MIke

Blknight.aus
8th November 2006, 07:57 PM
Providing the bearing races are the same distance apart, its a doddle,

Grab a set of rover hubs and the half shafts take them to a bearing shop and say "hi, bearings to make that, (hand them the rover hub) run on that (hand them the half shaft) Thank you."

they will do some measuring and searching, possabley use a computer, and then say "certainly, you need these bearings" and then will usually put a couple of boxes on the counter and say "that will be $X" give them that amount of money and take the boxes.

I could easily be co-erced into giving you a set of hubs from the front end of bug 2.0 for nada....

Blknight.aus
8th November 2006, 08:05 PM
I'll even throw in the old bearings, seals and grease...

you pay postage or come pick em up.

incisor
8th November 2006, 08:06 PM
depends on a couple of factors...

what brand is your current hub assembly? and is it braked? and if so is it disc or hub ?

from my investigations for a disc based replacement on what they term a "ford" bearing hub can be about $600 for the hubs alone....

Discoduck
8th November 2006, 09:15 PM
I am not sure what brand the hub assembly is .It is not braked but I would be having the new setup with electric brakes as i already have the controller fitted in the Disco.I have been told of atrailer place in Beenleigh [Qld]that could do the job,but Ihave yet to contact them.

Mike

Redback
9th November 2006, 09:23 AM
OK here's what i've found knowone will do a Disco 2 hub for a trailer with the 14mm Disco stud, one mob would do the disc hub with 9/16th stud which is close and AL-KO will do a drum hub with 9/16 studs but no disc hub.

The Holden HQ and Commodore has the same PCD/stud pattern of 120mm so what you do is go to any trailer place buy HQ disc hubs take them to an engineering shop or anyone that will do it and knock the Holden 12mm studs out, buy some 14mm Landrover Discovery 2 studs and have the disc hum drilled to suit the studs.

Trust me when i say you can't get D2 hubs made unless it's done when the trailer is made and this is only from some campertrailer manufacturers.

I spent 6mths trying with only one company in Melbourne that would do what i wanted which they stuffed up and i had to get them to make a second set, when i asked them again just recently they said NO we can't do it, no reason just won't do it.

So there you go, if anyone can get this done please let me know cause i want disc brakes on my camper.

Disco 1 and defender hubs are off the shelf items:twisted: :twisted:

Baz.

BigJon
9th November 2006, 09:34 AM
The Holden HQ and Commodore has the same PCD/stud pattern of 120mm

Just being pedantic, but Commodores have a metric PCD, HQs have an imperial one. Very close, but NOT the same.

discowhite
9th November 2006, 03:33 PM
Just being pedantic, but Commodores have a metric PCD, HQs have an imperial one. Very close, but NOT the same.

correct. bloody close though, but 4 out of 5 studs aint enough:o

cheers phil

Discoduck
12th November 2006, 03:43 PM
Thanks Baz for your post.I will try this place in Beenleigh .I will let you know how it pans out.

Mike

Redback
12th November 2006, 09:44 PM

OK then why do trailer places quote that the HQ & Commodore are the same PCD, according to the ones that i have talked to the 120mm PCD is from HQ on.

I'm only going on what i've been told.

Commodore
441213...1450 kg...LM / Slimline...150mm...60.9mm...5 x 120mm PCD

HQ
441212...1450 kg LM / Slimline.....150mm...60.9mm ..5 x 4.75" PCD

100I
13th November 2006, 09:52 PM
OK then why do trailer places quote that the HQ & Commodore are the same PCD, according to the ones that i have talked to the 120mm PCD is from HQ on.

I'm only going on what i've been told.

Commodore
441213...1450 kg...LM / Slimline...150mm...60.9mm...5 x 120mm PCD

HQ
441212...1450 kg LM / Slimline.....150mm...60.9mm ..5 x 4.75" PCD

2 different part numbers would say they are different.
I've got a jazzy little convertor that says;
120mm = 4.724395"
4.75" = 120.65mm
0.65mm would be basically trying the 'bend' the studs, plenty enough to shear them.

Dan

BigJon
14th November 2006, 08:52 AM

Because they don't really know what they are talking about...:o :D .
Incidentally, the rims on Commodores are a very different offset to the rims on a Kingswood (not that it matters much for trailers).

Redback
14th November 2006, 09:40 AM
Because they don't really know what they are talking about...:o :D .
Incidentally, the rims on Commodores are a very different offset to the rims on a Kingswood (not that it matters much for trailers).

I found that the Disco 2 alloy offset perfect on my trailer, i changed from Ford 15" rims to the Range Rover P38a 16"x8" rims Disco 2 is 16"x7", it so good that the trailer has the same track as the Disco now, a fluke more than a planed move i think.

Baz.

Bigbjorn
14th November 2006, 10:03 AM
2 different part numbers would say they are different.
I've got a jazzy little convertor that says;
120mm = 4.724395"
4.75" = 120.65mm
0.65mm would be basically trying the 'bend' the studs, plenty enough to shear them.

Dan

From the look of that I would say that GM simply converted the inch measure to metric without changing anything. ).65mm = 0.026". Now 26 thou. is only a medium spark plug gap. Most stud to wheel fit-ups have more space than that around them. The differing part nos. most likely indicate the different offsets.

Redback
15th November 2006, 07:50 AM
From the look of that I would say that GM simply converted the inch measure to metric without changing anything. ).65mm = 0.026". Now 26 thou. is only a medium spark plug gap. Most stud to wheel fit-ups have more space than that around them. The differing part nos. most likely indicate the different offsets.

Probably why the trailer places are saying that the HQ and Commodore are the same PCD.

I know the Commodore is excactly the same, as i put a Commodore rim onto my drum hub the other day and it fitted excactly, the 14mm LR stud size was the only thing stopping the rim from going on.

BigJon
15th November 2006, 03:08 PM

I don't know about the different offsets / part numbers, but your comment about the space between the studs and the rims requires further thought:angel: . While there is clearance, the hole in the rim is centralised around the stud by the taper on the nut. My personal preference is to not flex my wheel studs if I can possibly avoid it:cool: .

LandyAndy
18th November 2006, 03:01 PM
Hi Guys
I talked to Martins Trailer Parts in Perth 08 92795777, www.trailerparts.net.au (http://www.trailerparts.net.au)
They told me Disco2 hubs was no problems at all,he said BEWARE on retro fitting the hubs to already built trailers as the offset of the D2 rims would cause the wheels to rub on the chassis,this doesnt concern me as I will be doing a ground up build.
The total price was $1525.76,for the following
Tregg Hitch
Axle 2025mm 50mmSQ,1.5t rating
Hubs CPTE 1.5tpr rating,landrover
Brakes,mech disc,
Springs 1.5t rating,9 leaf,60x6.5mm,greasable shackles
U bolt set
Brake kit single axle mechanical.
The price may seem a little steep,but the axle,hubs and springs are all uprated over their standard off-road parts.The bearings are heavy duty,not ford/holden.
They said all I needed to drop a spare wheel/tyre off when ordering and they would measure the track of the Disco,axle/hubs will be made to suit.Around 3 days turn around.
Andrew

Discoduck
18th November 2006, 03:33 PM
I have read all the posts on this subject.My c/t was set up to match my previous vehicle,Isusu Mu.We did the cape and the High Country before getting the Disco.I am planning a 10 week trip to the cape again for next May.So I would like to have the c/t wheels the same as the Disco's so I don't have to carry 2 sets of spare tyres.
I will just have to chase up the trailer places here in Qld to see if they cando something for me.

Mike

incisor
18th December 2006, 03:53 PM
I got onto ALKO in brissy and they do blank ford bearing land cruiser disc brake hubs, custom drilled to disco 1 stud pattern for $93.50 a pop...

suits mine to a tee.... now to ask santa :P