PDA

View Full Version : Favourite servo brand

Outlaw
24th November 2006, 02:59 PM
Okay everyone want to get an idea on peoples preference in servos... thinking may be able to try and work out some discount etc... but figured would really only work if i targeted one only ;)

p38arover
24th November 2006, 03:36 PM
No option for "none"

I buy on price and convenience to me, not on brand.

It so happens that Woolworths Caltex is the closest and is the cheapest even before taking into account any 4c discounts.

I rarely buy petrol, usually only LPG.

Late Edit: BTW, I didn't vote because I don't live up on the GC so a vote from me would skew the results.

Ron

drivesafe
24th November 2006, 03:36 PM
Hi Outlaw, altho I voted Shell, this is only one of three choices as I prefer Shell and BP, I will also use Mobil.

As I like my RR, I wouldn’t use Caltex, come Ampol, come Woolworths crap in my lawnmower let alone in my RR.

Cheers and nice idea.

rangieman
24th November 2006, 03:49 PM
I voted caltex as its the local where i fuel up plus the trucks fuel there so the turn over of fuel is fast so i dont get ****y fuel:D

Outlaw
24th November 2006, 03:55 PM
No option for "none"

I buy on price and convenience to me, not on brand.

It so happens that Woolworths Caltex is the closest and is the cheapest even before taking into account any 4c discounts.

I rarely buy petrol, usually only LPG.

Ron
Nope no option for none as it doesn't help my cause :p hard to work out a deal with none :D

p38arover
24th November 2006, 04:50 PM
Nope no option for none as it doesn't help my cause :p hard to work out a deal with none :D

But you'd see thatr some of us have no brand loyalty so they'd be happy to convert to whatever brand with which you struck deal.

By forcing them to choose a brand, they may just take the first one on the list and give a distorted result to the survey. Oh, that's how all surveys get the result they want. :D

Ron

x-box
24th November 2006, 04:57 PM
normally fill up at the BP in southport, on my way home and also cheap compared to other servos. Every time i fill up with another brand, the fender seems to be a tad more sluggish??

Outlaw
24th November 2006, 04:58 PM
Fine fine added :p

just figured people wouldn't vote if no preference ;)

drivesafe
24th November 2006, 05:10 PM
But you'd see thatr some of us have no brand loyalty Ron

My choice is not based on brand loyalty but on quality loyalty.

BP and Shell guaranty the quality of their fuel and genuine Mobil outlets do too and while the minimum quality standards for fuel in Oz are progressively being raised by the Federal government, full world parity is not mandatory until 2011 and as such Caltex, Ampol and Woolworths serve up the minimum quality that they can get away with.

This crap quality fuel is not good for European engines and the main reason we have been missing out on some of the new vehicles being released over there.

DRanged
24th November 2006, 05:12 PM
Outlaw. Talk to the people at IFS at Burliegh. They would more than likely do a deal??? I use the ethanol blend in the work ute no problems. And I use their diesel in the Rangie.

Justin

Outlaw
24th November 2006, 05:23 PM
could try IFS or neumanns etc as an additional but hoping to go to head office and get a coast wide (state wide) style discount... ;) one independant at burleigh won't help the majority if elsewhere :o

And then you'll get these snobs :p with the european style engines who won't/can't run straight filtered fish & chip oil through their tanks :twisted::twisted::twisted:

stevo68
24th November 2006, 05:52 PM
Looks like Im the only one who ticked no preference :o , generally though tend to go Shell at mudgee over Caltex cause I an use my Motorpass there and it is generally a couple of cents cheaper. In terms of quality etc wouldnt know all smells and feels the same to me, never noticed a difference.

Regards

Stevo

Captain_Rightfoot
24th November 2006, 05:58 PM
Ooops... I voted for BP. This is probably just open to GC members :D :wasntme:

stevo68
24th November 2006, 06:18 PM
Ooops... I voted for BP. This is probably just open to GC members Yeah, so bugger orf :D , oh and hope all is well mate :)

Regards

Stevo

harry
24th November 2006, 06:34 PM
british petroleum chaps, thats what land rovers run best on you know,
damm fine products.

but in reality i just fill it with premium anything, unless the woolies docket is usable without detouring.
after all, 0.04 cents off in a $100 is only $4.00, not really worth trawling for.

stikman
24th November 2006, 06:55 PM
Posted no preference for the interest of a discount but lately have been leaning towards the Shell. They have the 4c+2c off deal at the moment, and i buy the 98 to suit my cam and timing. For GAS, will use whoever is the cheapest when i need it.

dmdigital
24th November 2006, 08:01 PM
What a silly question. When there's only one fuel outlet within a full days drive you don't have a choice!

DRanged
24th November 2006, 08:28 PM
could try IFS or neumanns etc as an additional but hoping to go to head office and get a coast wide (state wide) style discount... ;) one independant at burleigh won't help the majority if elsewhere :o

And then you'll get these snobs :p with the european style engines who won't/can't run straight filtered fish & chip oil through their tanks :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Dont mean to spoil your idea, but getting a discount out of the major suppliers, You'll have more chance of a free RR Sport from Lyntons:D

A good freind in sydney has a transport business and averages 5-6k per week in fuel and he gets SQUAT.

Good luck

Justin

weeds
24th November 2006, 08:29 PM
Hi Outlaw, altho I voted Shell, this is only one of three choices as I prefer Shell and BP, I will also use Mobil.

As I like my RR, I wouldn’t use Caltex, come Ampol, come Woolworths crap in my lawnmower let alone in my RR.

Cheers and nice idea.

in queensland shell fuel and bp fuel are the same, both made at he bp refinery in brisbane

drivesafe
24th November 2006, 09:08 PM
Hi weeds, yep, you find this in a lot of places, but even if Shell and BP were being supplied by a Caltex wholesaler, the fuel has to meet BP and Shell’s standards not Caltex’s.

This why I post genuine Mobil servos because Mobil also supplies other companies that use the Mobil logo but don’t have to meet their standards.

Cheers

dungarover
25th November 2006, 01:35 PM
I don't give a ****, I fill the tank when it's empty with anything that is resemblance to unleaded fuel :twisted: :twisted:

Espeiclly with my crap fuel consumption. Discount vouchers are a farce and lucky to save a whole $2 by using one so I don't bother. Nor do I spend 1/2 hour looking for the cheapest fuel, this is pointless as you use all the extra fuel in looking for the cheapest in reality you're not getting much of a saving. I know people who do this :eek:

Trav

Bigbjorn
25th November 2006, 02:12 PM
Hi weeds, yep, you find this in a lot of places, but even if Shell and BP were being supplied by a Caltex wholesaler, the fuel has to meet BP and Shell’s standards not Caltex’s.

This why I post genuine Mobil servos because Mobil also supplies other companies that use the Mobil logo but don’t have to meet their standards.

Cheers

In my days supplying tanker prime movers to the fuel coys. in Brisbane, I found they quite happily and regularly swapped volumes of product around amongst each other, so who knows what fuel from what source ends up in the servo's tanks.

As far as ethics and quality control go, try this one.
One of the major Brisbane oil depots at Eagle Farm/ Pinkenba had a stuff up pumping product around the tank farm, and ended up with two tanks of motor spirit/distillate shandy. The solution was to provoke a strike so the servo operators would be desperate anything to top up their tanks before & immediately after the strike. "Well, mate, all we've got is some shandy, do you want it, your responsibility. Don't blame us if there is any comeback?"

GuyG
25th November 2006, 02:12 PM
Only ever use BP Ultimate, try and fill up when the price is lower but don't go chasing around looking for a cheaper price - can't be bothered

p38arover
25th November 2006, 02:29 PM
Dont mean to spoil your idea, but getting a discount out of the major suppliers, You'll have more chance of a free RR Sport from Lyntons:D

You might get it from a distributor who has pumps. I used to get discount fuel that way.

Ron

p38arover
25th November 2006, 02:37 PM
Discount vouchers are a farce and lucky to save a whole $2 by using one so I don't bother. Nor do I spend 1/2 hour looking for the cheapest fuel, this is pointless as you use all the extra fuel in looking for the cheapest in reality you're not getting much of a saving. I know people who do this :eek:

True - most of the time. I bought $30 worth of wine a couple of weeks ago and got the 20 cent/litre voucher for Coles Express. So I fuelled up with 150 litres of petrol and LPG. Saving $30 - the cost of the 6 bottles of wine. The difference being that I drive past thios servo every day on my way to work so it's not out the way.

Re Woolies discounts, on LPG the local Woolies is often 10 cents/litre cheaper than the other brands. Add the discount and 14 cents/litre isn't bad.

Ron

CraigE
26th November 2006, 09:52 AM
Whoops, maybe I shoud not have voted either. I avoid BP here in WA although they are the major supplier. The diesel I have gotten form Kalgoorlie, Kambalda, Esperance seems to burn faster than Woolworths/Caltex. Go figure and the last batch I had on a long trip seemed to make it very sluggish as well. Took a tank and a half to get it back to normal. Maybe BP are putting something in at their servos, who knows?:mad:
I have found Woolworths fuel here to be Ok and they are the only ones who will put a sign up guaranteeing no ethanol. Most of the fuel stations here are on our way in or out of town so not a long distance or aout of the way for any of them. The dockets are a trap, but hey a tank of fuel and an iced coffee cost the same as a tank of fuel at some. There is a local scheme with a card that as you make purchases a certain amount gets added to the card and keeps adding up for the month with no limit, so if you are buying anyway can be a a huge saving. The shell/coles wine offer looks good.