PDA

View Full Version : Rangie Chassis as trailer

vogue
3rd December 2006, 05:42 PM
I was wondering if anyone has made a trailer out of a Rangie chassis, using all the Rangie suspension etc?
I've been looking at off road trailers and the varoius susspensions and thought, why not use the best suspension there is, A Rangie!
Thought i could keep all the suspension arms, coils, shocks etc, either on the standard Rangie diff (minus the centre) or on a trailer axle. Then weld a front cross member which to attach the draw bar etc. I would then get a trailer place to build the body and mount it on the Rangie body mounts.

So is this a crazy idea???
I want a tough off road trailer and i don't have much money.

Blknight.aus
3rd December 2006, 05:59 PM
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/showthread.php?t=31251

cast ye eyes here, admitedly its a SWB SIII but same concept

must get motivated for it again.

loanrangie
4th December 2006, 08:23 PM
If you go to the trouble of using a rangie chassis then you may as well use a 2dr shell for the body, just lop it off at the B pillars and sheet it.

incisor
4th December 2006, 08:25 PM
:eek:

there is one up the road from me minus a donk and the front wheels...

p38arover
4th December 2006, 08:44 PM
I've heard the Authorities don't like you using a rear axle/diff housing as a trailer axle. Why not? It's already set up for disc brakes and it would be a good place to carry a spare diff.

Ron

vogue
4th December 2006, 09:04 PM
Using the rear diff set up seemed very simple and strong to me, i'll have to lok into the legalities.

I did consider using a two door and sheeting up the inside etc, but since i'll have to get a friend to help with the welding i wanted to keep it as simple as possible. Although do you think it would be hard to cut off a two door and cap the top and make a front etc?
Remember i want it cheap and strong.
Also thought about a flat wide tray mounted above the height of the tyres???

Blknight.aus
4th December 2006, 09:34 PM
I thinkl they are mainly upset about the spinning of the pinion, so pull the axles.
or fit freewheelers so you have somewhere to keep spare axles.

Michael2
5th December 2006, 10:26 AM
You can't push the trailer in a straight line by hand if you have a diff and axles fitted. The diff makes it want to turn. Removing the axles is fine though.

I think the RR chassis idea is great. I'd go for a simple custom made top rather than the 2 door body, less body cavities for mud to accumulate it, easier to design it with jerrycan holders, tool boxes, water tanks, spare wheel mounts, lashing rails, tie down points etc. Also easir to later make a canopy or fit a camper to it. And much easier to sell too.

incisor
5th December 2006, 10:30 AM
look great behind a series tho :P

justinc
6th January 2007, 08:24 PM
I've been involved with the build of one, I didn't fit the flat ally tray to it, but I did the shocks and springs, and brake fitting etc. It is a good idea, but, I feel that it has too much weight up too high, and If I did it again I would fit the lowest profile body and some lower, stiffer springs. The articulation can be handled by the treg or all terrain coupling, so excessive height etc isn't necessary I believe. I would also go for a longer drawbar than what was fitted,(I can't remember the exact measurements now) and would definately leave the rangie fuel tank in or fit a water tank there. I thought of making one myself after this, but have no time, so I'm looking at a Cape York instead.

Go for it, but think carefully about its towing behaviour when selecting springs etc.

JC