PDA

View Full Version : Heated Fuel Filter

B92 8NW
14th December 2006, 05:30 PM
Land Rover list two fuel filters for the TDI

AEU2147L - (Unheated)
RTC5938 - (heated)

Whats a heated fuel filter? How does it connect? I am converting to biodiesel and it might be of use.

Thanks in Advance:)

langy
14th December 2006, 06:25 PM
Not quite - First, if you look at the aluminium filter head you'll see that there is an unused port at the front of the unit. This is where the optional heater plug outlet sits when it's fitted in cold climate areas. It operates similar to glow plugs. Second, for biodiesel in Australia ( except for the snowfields I suppose) you do not need to heat the fuel - it's already been converted. If you were going to run pure vegetable oil (which you can) then I'd suggest having a bigger heater. A heat exchanger using engine coolant - about the same size and setup as a LPG converter - is required.

B92 8NW
14th December 2006, 06:40 PM
Not quite - First, if you look at the aluminium filter head you'll see that there is an unused port at the front of the unit. This is where the optional heater plug outlet sits when it's fitted in cold climate areas. It operates similar to glow plugs. Second, for biodiesel in Australia ( except for the snowfields I suppose) you do not need to heat the fuel - it's already been converted. If you were going to run pure vegetable oil (which you can) then I'd suggest having a bigger heater. A heat exchanger using engine coolant - about the same size and setup as a LPG converter - is required.

Thanks Langy

I'll be using Bio-D from a Servo. I suppose there is no point fitting it for the off chance of going to the snow when you can fill with the alpine diesel anyway

JDNSW
14th December 2006, 07:30 PM
Land Rover list two fuel filters for the TDI

AEU2147L - (Unheated)
RTC5938 - (heated)

Whats a heated fuel filter? How does it connect? I am converting to biodiesel and it might be of use.

Thanks in Advance:)

I'd tend to agree with the others - even with biodiesel I doubt there is anywhere in Australia that really needs a heated filter - although there have been problems with summer grade diesel being used in winter, even with dinodiesel.

John