PDA

View Full Version : Cooling flush

George130
23rd December 2006, 07:32 AM
OK. Daft one. Finally realised yesterday that the reason I'm not getting the crap out of my cooling system is that by taping into the heater box means that the temp drops to quickly so most of the system gets bypassed.
What is the best way to flush any gunk in the system on the TD5?

byron
23rd December 2006, 07:36 AM
OK. Daft one. Finally realised yesterday that the reason I'm not getting the crap out of my cooling system is that by taping into the heater box means that the temp drops to quickly so most of the system gets bypassed.

What do you mean by this?......I don't quite get it.:o

George130
23rd December 2006, 07:45 AM
Still getting oil residue from when the oil cooler failed. I have dumped the entire system twice. 3 times I have warmed the rig up removed the return pipe from the heater box and stuck the hose down there and that her run till clear water is flowing back out again. Problem is after the next trip the cap is covered in the oil gunk again. It's getting annoying.

byron
23rd December 2006, 08:08 AM
Still getting oil residue from when the oil cooler failed. I have dumped the entire system twice. 3 times I have warmed the rig up removed the return pipe from the heater box and stuck the hose down there and that her run till clear water is flowing back out again. Problem is after the next trip the cap is covered in the oil gunk again. It's getting annoying.

Have you tried something that will emulsify the oil in the system?......Try one of the cooling system cleaners.....

...... or try Sodium Hydroxide..... put that in and run the engine at different speeds with heater on.....make sure thermostat gets to open fully for at least 10 minutes ......don't leave it in any longer than that though - it'll rip through the alloy and softer metals in the engine........then flush it out throughly a few times.;)

George130
23rd December 2006, 09:15 AM
OK. All I have used so far is water and metho.

byron
23rd December 2006, 09:45 AM
OK. All I have used so far is water and metho.

Hmmmmm......that mixture will do 7/8ths of f***k all for oil in the cooling system!:cool:

justinc
23rd December 2006, 12:17 PM
Hi Edd,

Last ones I've done I've used a little PRE DISSOLVED clothes washing detergent, or some liquid Drive in the system, front loader machine powder like OMO Matic works well too, and 2 to 3 flushes will get rid of it all. This stuff is ok on washing machine rubber gearbox seals etc, so won't harm the system. Make sure it is totally removed after though, as it will react with the allly radiator over time.

JC

Blknight.aus
23rd December 2006, 10:08 PM
remove the thermostat refit the housing and seal it up...

some orange degreaser (its ally friendly) into water and run it...

drain

water to flush, water fill, run it and drain it

check the quality and repeat all above till you get clean water out..

use a OAT friendly flush for a final run to remove any leftover goop and then refil with the appropriate coolant.

Metho is best for loosening rust scale in iron blocks you dont want to be acid nasty with.

LandyAndy
23rd December 2006, 10:16 PM
Hi Edd
I would run it on fresh water for a month or 3 dropping the water regularly when you are happy add the coolant.
Andrew

byron
23rd December 2006, 10:55 PM
Hi Edd
I would run it on fresh water for a month or 3 dropping the water regularly when you are happy add the coolant.
Andrew

A VERY BAD idea!:mad: :mad:

Td5's don't like being run or more correctly MUSN'T be run without correct type [OAT , "red"] and % amount of coolant in them!;) ;)

......running it for a month or three with plain water is just asking for trouble!;)

George130
24th December 2006, 08:04 AM
Cool. I like the washing liquid ideas. Seeing I still have my thermostat housing without the actual thermostat I will swap them over and give it a go! It's looking more and more like I will be keeping the beast to.