PDA

View Full Version : d2 air box

pgf
25th December 2006, 10:15 PM
My d2 v8 auto been running like a pig. Poking around, found air box is crakced and wont seal. I expect that this could be an issue esp on LPG. Any one had similar? What are the best options for correct this? Ohh and how much oil residue at the bottom of the air box is acceptable?

Cheers
And seasons greetings

ladas
25th December 2006, 10:40 PM
Oil residue in the air box ?????

Please amplify

Slunnie
25th December 2006, 11:08 PM
Do you run a foam filter? I don't think there should be any oil in the bottom of the airbox. Water perhaps, but thats about it.

cal415
26th December 2006, 12:22 AM
Oil in the bottom of the airbox??!? doesnt sound good, but if you have oil in your airbox, then you likely have oil in your AFM which is probobly why your truck isnt running well... if this is the case you may have some success cleaning it, my truck had a bit of a muddy drink a while back when ALTO newcastle never put my airbox back together right, i wasnt able to save my AFM though unfortunatly.

byron
26th December 2006, 06:29 AM
My d2 v8 auto been running like a pig. Poking around, found ........ oil residue at the bottom of the air box is acceptable?

C

The oil in bottom of air box probably got there as blow-by from the crankcase;)

......does the "low(er) pressure" side of the PCV system vent into it?.......or does the PCV draw its filtered air from the air box?......SORRY I'M NOT UP TO SPEED WITH D2's!:(

.......Either way, too much blow-by for the PCV to handle normally may send oil into the air box either via normal directional flow of air+gases:( OR if there's a REALLY serious PCV (overflow) problem it may even reverse the normal directional flow and "pump" a mixture of OIL + GASES into your air box.:(

pgf
28th December 2006, 10:38 PM
Hi All, thanks for your input. I have trawled to workshop manual, which suggests that the PCV goes into the inlet manifold, although there is a hose on mine which enteres the box below the air filter element. I assumed that this was how crankcase emissions were recycled so to speak? The manual also suggetss that there is an inline oil separator from the crankcase end on the rhs only. I'll have to have a close look at one or two to get my head around it fully. Just looking at the baisc anatomy I can envisgae that a small amount of oil could condence in the box if a crankcase ventillates direct to it? Nevertheless my other issue of the drawing of excess unfiltered air would additionally upset the MAF and AAP sensors, but I'd hope that the oil vaour would stay on the outside of the filter. The cost of an air filter assembly well justifies a trips or three to the wreckers. I'll keep you posted on what I learn, am happy for any further input or advice.

Cheers

HNYear

justinc
28th December 2006, 10:46 PM
It is normal for the crankcase vents to be routed into the airbox with LPG installations. Something about reducing the incidence of crankcase explosions I think during a gas backfire, Some others with more LPG knowledge need to clarify this, and I suspect that the airbox is cracked due to a backfire at some stage.

JC

p38arover
28th December 2006, 11:03 PM
It is normal for the crankcase vents to be routed into the airbox with LPG installations. Something about reducing the incidence of crankcase explosions I think during a gas backfire, Some others with more LPG knowledge need to clarify this, and I suspect that the airbox is cracked due to a backfire at some stage.

JC

On mine (with LPG) the crankcase vent has been moved from the throttle body to downstream of the MAF.

Backfires can destroy plastic airboxes. My P38A has destroyed two of them - totally. I've fitted a cylindrical air filter from a early Disco - see http://rangerovers.net/rrupgrades/airbox/index.html

Ron

justinc
28th December 2006, 11:22 PM
Why aren't you tucked up in bed ? Look at the time!!!!!!!!!!!!:o :o :o

p38arover
28th December 2006, 11:24 PM
I'm at work. Finish at 7am :(

Ron

justinc
28th December 2006, 11:53 PM
I guess then the question then is why aren't I ASLEEP yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????:( :( :( :(

IT IS A GOOD QUESTION!

Goodnight all.....:spudniksnore: :spudniksnore: :spudniksnore:

JC

pgf
29th December 2006, 08:22 AM
On mine (with LPG) the crankcase vent has been moved from the throttle body to downstream of the MAF.

Backfires can destroy plastic airboxes. My P38A has destroyed two of them - totally. I've fitted a cylindrical air filter from a early Disco - see http://rangerovers.net/rrupgrades/airbox/index.html

Ron

It all becomes clear, with the help of the aulro brains trust. I think I'll investigate the cyindrical option v new bits approach. Thanks for your help everyone
HNY