PDA

View Full Version : Laptop GPS

LandyAndy
5th January 2007, 07:11 PM
Hi Guys
My boy bought himself a new laptop the other day.The fat dude with the red threads got him an inverter which is now installed for his use in the Disco,I used anderson plugs so we can plug it into other vehicles.
Taz called in for a brief visit on his way down to Albany,I asked about his map setup,he told me I only need a GPS mouse antenna to run ozi explorer maps.Lucky me has a mate in China for Xmas/New Year so Ive asked him to grab a GPS mouse antenna.
So am I all set to run these GPS mapping systems???? With Lindsay navigating in the back I can be the one saying"ARE WE THERE YET???"
Anything else I need to know????
Andrew

feral
5th January 2007, 07:26 PM
First question: No.
Second question: Yes
Third question: Lots.

What you need now is maping software like Oziexplorer and maps that are compatable with the software and your GPS.

After you have all these then you will know exactly where you are :eek:

feral
6th January 2007, 09:17 AM
:oops2:....it appears that I goofed.

If you have all the software, yes all you need is the gps and away you go. I have the same setup and it is cumbersome with laptop, leads and where it sits getting in the way of things. The laptop tends to move around if traversing decent 4wd tracks but sits perfectly on the console if cruising highways. I am looking at getting a 10 inch touch screen to run as a monitor and mount that somewhere. The laptop will be under the passenger seat.

I would be hesitant to run 240v in the car but the reality is that the voltage steps down to approx. 19v so it should be safe enough. I power my laptop through a Kerio.

The whole setup is great.

Cheers.

George130
6th January 2007, 10:46 AM
The back up paper is a good idea.

Utemad
6th January 2007, 11:01 AM
I love my digi maps and have a **** load of them but always take paper maps. When I was touring Tassie and I was using an inverter to power my laptop, the inverter crapped itself. A loose screw shorted out something inside the inverter. The laptop battery wasn't very good so a full charge only last about 60mins so we only powered it up to download camera pics.
So it was back to paper maps and arguments :D

I use a PDA now too. Just make sure you either have a cheap one or secure it really well. Mine spends more time crashing to the floor or bouncing around the glovebox than where it should be. Consequently it has quite a few scars on the casing and screen.

numpty
6th January 2007, 03:06 PM
I love my digi maps and have a **** load of them but always take paper maps. When I was touring Tassie and I was using an inverter to power my laptop, the inverter crapped itself. A loose screw shorted out something inside the inverter. The laptop battery wasn't very good so a full charge only last about 60mins so we only powered it up to download camera pics.
So it was back to paper maps and arguments :D

I use a PDA now too. Just make sure you either have a cheap one or secure it really well. Mine spends more time crashing to the floor or bouncing around the glovebox than where it should be. Consequently it has quite a few scars on the casing and screen.

We decided against an inverter, mainly because of bulk. To power our laptop we've gone the same way as Feral___a Kerio adaptor. Works a treat. Missus downloads photos and adds to trip report each evening straight from cig adaptor.

Utemad
6th January 2007, 03:14 PM
We decided against an inverter, mainly because of bulk. To power our laptop we've gone the same way as Feral___a Kerio adaptor. Works a treat. Missus downloads photos and adds to trip report each evening straight from cig adaptor.

After the death of my inverter I borrowed one from work (sometimes it gets used for work honest) but it wouldn't power my HP laptop. Even though it was higher rated than the old one. So I used the work inverter for other stuff and bought a Jaycar 12v laptop power supply like yours. Worked great until I got rid of my HP laptop. However the 12v power supply doesn't have a plug to suit my new Dell. Haven't tried the Dell on the inverter yet. Haven't had the need so far since I use the PDA for mapping and the Dell laptop has quite a good battery life.

CraigE
6th January 2007, 03:33 PM
Andy,
I have put in an 8" lcd hooked up to laptop with Trackranger, Natmaps, UBD maps and a gps mouse. Seems to be working ok now after some teething problems (maybe software conflict or dodgy Toshiba craptop). Still working out how to use it properly. Trackranger (Advancetech) will do a package deal on all the software and mouse if you need it.
Cheers
Craig

Blknight.aus
6th January 2007, 03:52 PM
wish youd posted this earlier the fat man in red bought me the premium edition of the natmap raster maps for aus...

IVe already burnt of 3 copies itd've been a no brainer to burn of and post another set..

While oziexplorer is a great bit of kit, I found other than converting the maps and setting them up I do everything else in oxiexploerce on my pda...

EchiDna
6th January 2007, 06:00 PM
ozi map grabber :)

can't recommend it enough...once you work out how to use it!

harryw
8th January 2007, 09:54 AM
Hi Andy

Just backtracking on the inverter I bought a 12v power source for my Laptop when I used to do the Broome - Perth drive.

A lot more convenient than an inverter as it plugged straight into the ciggy lighter.

No much use as you have the inverter but just a thought.

Bush65
8th January 2007, 07:48 PM
I use a touchscreen laptop with gps mouse connected to a usb port (usb provides enough power for gps) and oziexplorer software.

The laptop gets power from a Lind DC-DC adaptor plugged into the cig lighter socket.

LandyAndy
12th January 2007, 03:58 PM
Hi Harry and others
The inverter was very easy to wire,I already had 35amp power for my UHF(large philips fm900series) under the drivers seat.I just taped into this exsisting power source.Lindsay also has several R/C items,some can be charged via 12V but it does the batteries no good,he can plug his 240 trickle charger in.It will also come in handy for camera batteries and cordless drills etc.
Andrew