PDA

View Full Version : real Hi Fi

jase
8th January 2007, 03:20 PM
anyone on here with contacts (as in works for an importer ect so can get good discounts) on Hi Fi gear
(and i'm talking real Hi Fi not the harvey norman stuff)
I'm looking at updateing a few pieces and am not brand loyal (just know what I think sounds nice) so a good bargain can always sway me
thanks
Jase

EchiDna
8th January 2007, 03:45 PM
get out the soldering iron Jase...

www.aksaonline.com (http://www.aksaonline.com)

beats anything that costs 5 times as much (even with discounts) and it's an aussie product. Hugh the owner/designer is a fantastic guy to deal with. I own and built a power amp and a tube hybrid preamp of his - both absolutely outstanding.

dobbo
8th January 2007, 03:47 PM
There are a lot of variables to make the HiFi sound nice. Size of area flooring in the room, shape of the room, I have heard a $1000 dollar stereo sound better than a $15000.00 stereo basically because it, and the room was set up correctly. Do you want it just for music or home theatre or both. In my opinion the worst thing to happen for HiFi was the introduction of surround sound, prologic and that sort of stuff. I doubt most of the people who work in the department stores would know what a valve amplifier is, let alone sell one.

If just for music
Hit the net onto the audiophile sites, do your homework, get a huge budget well as big as you can get, go for a designated amplifier not one of those 7.1 you beaut gismo's that do everything. Oh and don't be cheap on the speakers. Having the worlds best amp is useless unless you have the boxes and drivers top back them up.

Try the smaller named shops in the major cities, north shore of sydney have a few.

jase
9th January 2007, 02:52 PM
I know what you mean dobbo
This system would just be for stereo (music)
I've had home surround sound stuff for the last 15 yrs and still prefer the sound my old hifi stereo (now living in the shed) I bought it in 86 for about $6 grand and on apprentice wages at the time that was heaps

all the home theatre stuff is great for loud surround sound and watching movies by not for stereo hi fi
I already have 2 home theatre setups (1 (yamaha) in family room and a better (rotel) in lounge room) but I'm longing for something more (& shock the wife actually sugested it when I mentioned wanting better sound)
Note the HiFi addiction could be worse then the landrover addiction (and I have 4 of those)
I haven't set a budget yet or even really looked at what's out there apart from a few hrs on the web and 2 quick drop in's into shops on the weekend (was out with the wife)
Room accoustics in the lounge are pretty good now just have to work out what I want get some bucks and cough them up (the bucks part may take some time)

oh and Glen (echidna) I'm not afraid of the soldering iron, I was an electronics tech in a past life and don't mind playing
I had a look on thier site and must say hmmm interesteing?
what models did you get and what did you compare it to?
& what speakers are you using

thanks
Jase

Quiggers
9th January 2007, 04:02 PM
You're right there, Jase.

I once had a boss who was an audiophile. He had TWO Thorens turntables at $15,000 a pop, and that was about 20 years ago............

Sitting off the wall in the office are two lovely old Leak Sandwich speakers from about 1960 something, they still sound sooo neat....

GQ

EchiDna
12th January 2007, 04:41 AM
... oh and Glen (echidna) I'm not afraid of the soldering iron, I was an electronics tech in a past life and don't mind playing
I had a look on thier site and must say hmmm interesteing?
what models did you get and what did you compare it to?
& what speakers are you using

thanks
Jase

I compared the AKSA 100n to lots of different amps costing up to $20k (I'd never spend that!) and without sounding too anal, the neutrality of the sound is what gets me - it's not analytical or warm, but very very noice for the $$$ :) ... I'm a mod on another forum dedicated to DIY hifi, so I've got a vested interest in suggesting you make your own!
www.audiocircle.com (http://www.audiocircle.com)

the preamp I have is the GK1-r - a tube hybrid in full dual mono configuration :)

as a former electronics tech, surely you would rather make your own?
anyway, it's all up to you, but I gained a real lot is DIY'ing - renewing skills, getting great bang for buck etc....

my speakers are DIY too - based on the sigfried linkwitz 'orion' - they are about $5k in parts...imagine what it would cost in 'retail' form, easily $12k I think...

Martin
12th January 2007, 09:09 AM
And before you put your soldering iron away, check out www.vaf.com.au (http://www.vaf.com.au). I know the owner Philip, and I can tell you that these speakers are truly magnificent. But beware - they are so revealing, that you will divide you music collection into those that are well recorded and those that are not. It's too painful to listen to some CDs, as it reveals poor recording. On compiliation albums, its easy to pick out tracks recroded at studios with good equipoment and those with crap equipment - something I could not do before getting the DCXs. To be neutral, some say Crix are as good, but personally I dont find this. I was a top end B&W fan until I found Vaf....

And rotel is a great setup - do you have the home theater RSX 1057? I personally thought this unit was great as the pure stereo performace was exceptional, so is a good balance of a home theatre amp used for stero listening too.

p38arover
12th January 2007, 05:04 PM
My hi-fi hardly ever gets used.

My Thorens TD125 turntable, SME arm with Shure V15 cartridge are in the garage and haven't been used in about 15 years.

My garage stereo is a Harmon Kardon stereo receiver with KEF speakers in the garage section and JBL in the electronics workshop. The Harmon Kardon cassette deck hasn't been turned on in years.

The lounge room has a Pioneer amp (can't remember the specs) with Wharfedale speakers. It hardly ever gets turned on. The TV is not connected to the stereo system.

Ron (ex-electronics tech)

alfam
14th November 2008, 02:56 PM
G'day. I might be interested in your Wharfedales if your interested in parting with them? Thanks. David:)

Siska
14th November 2008, 06:19 PM
Although not the cheapest around, HiFi, Home Cinema & Home Entertainment Systems - AudioTrends Ringwood, Melbourne (http://www.audiotrends.com.au) are really quite good for the mid to higher end of the market. I used to live with a couple of the guys that work there and the system we had at home was amazing. We had a party one night and the sound could be clearly heard 2 blocks away. When the Police turned up to ask us to turn it down they asked to come inside and look at the setup.

They will do better deals for cash, as will most stores. They are now located of Heatherdale Rd in Ringwood.

EchiDna
14th November 2008, 07:21 PM
holy thread retrieval batman!

how did this one get dug up??

Siska
14th November 2008, 07:33 PM
holy thread retrieval batman!

how did this one get dug up??

Opps:whistling:

Offender90
14th November 2008, 07:44 PM
And before you put your soldering iron away, check out www.vaf.com.au (http://www.vaf.com.au). I know the owner Philip, and I can tell you that these speakers are truly magnificent. But beware - they are so revealing, that you will divide you music collection into those that are well recorded and those that are not. It's too painful to listen to some CDs, as it reveals poor recording. On compiliation albums, its easy to pick out tracks recroded at studios with good equipoment and those with crap equipment - something I could not do before getting the DCXs. To be neutral, some say Crix are as good, but personally I dont find this. I was a top end B&W fan until I found Vaf....

And rotel is a great setup - do you have the home theater RSX 1057? I personally thought this unit was great as the pure stereo performace was exceptional, so is a good balance of a home theatre amp used for stero listening too.

hahaha.. was just gonna add my 2 cents worth on VAF/ Crix (being an Adelaide local and an acoustic engineer with an interest in loudspeaker design) before I realised the thread was very old.

For anyone looking at high end audio, I'd highly recommend giving VAF a serious look. They were (dare I say are still??) all available as a DIY kit, and great value for money.

Krix on the other hand are predominantly a commercial cinema loudspeaker supplier, where they dominate the market. Haven't seen any of their home range, but if they're anything like their commercial siblings, they can't be far behind.

Offender90
14th November 2008, 07:52 PM
hahaha.. was just gonna add my 2 cents worth on VAF/ Crix (being an Adelaide local and an acoustic engineer with an interest in loudspeaker design) before I realised the thread was very old.

For anyone looking at high end audio, I'd highly recommend giving VAF a serious look. They were (dare I say are still??) all available as a DIY kit, and great value for money.

Krix on the other hand are predominantly a commercial cinema loudspeaker supplier, where they dominate the market. Haven't seen any of their home range, but if they're anything like their commercial siblings, they can't be far behind.

Actually, just had a look at the VAF website and prices seemed to have jumped significanytly (from ~10 years ago :angel:). For those prices, I'd also recommend looking at the Sonus Faber range (concerto's for bookshelves or the grand pianos - they look great and sound wawesome).

Taz
14th November 2008, 07:54 PM
Luv my VAF

jerryd
15th November 2008, 12:16 AM
I wondered if there were any hi fi enthusiasts on here :) I got all excited when I started reading this until I saw the date :eek: I was going to ask jase if he wanted to buy some Linn equipment (check it out - Linn - hi-fi, home theatre and multi-room systems (http://www.linn.co.uk))
I have an active system which I brought over with me from the uk when I emigrated, also a passive system. I may have 3 power amps and a pair of speakers up for grabs.

big guy
15th November 2008, 07:54 AM
Hmm Linn, now you are talking quality.
VAF is a good speaker but definately not Hi-Fi.
Its more or less a copy of the Soniques in many ways and they in turn have ex Duntech people running the show.
Duntech won many awards for worlds truest speakers etc.

For Hi-fi shops, try audio connection on Parramatta rd Sydnet.
Do a google serch and check out their website.
Speakers up to $250,000. Its the biggest Hi-Fi shop in the southern hemisphere.
I bought my Stello Oracle Amp and CD player plus a set of balanced interlinks from them.
Here in SA I bought some Dynaudio speakers.
I like it very much but like everything, we all hear things differently and love things for different reasons.

So each to their own but lets not label everything High Fidelity that just isn't.
My best mates reckons his yamaha set up is as good as it gets. Well, let him be.

Give audio connection a look, you will be amazed.

abaddonxi
15th November 2008, 08:14 AM
Hmm Linn, now you are talking quality.
VAF is a good speaker but definately not Hi-Fi.
Its more or less a copy of the Soniques in many ways and they in turn have ex Duntech people running the show.
Duntech won many awards for worlds truest speakers etc.

For Hi-fi shops, try audio connection on Parramatta rd Sydnet.
Do a google serch and check out their website.
Speakers up to $250,000. Its the biggest Hi-Fi shop in the southern hemisphere.
I bought my Stello Oracle Amp and CD player plus a set of balanced interlinks from them.
Here in SA I bought some Dynaudio speakers.
I like it very much but like everything, we all hear things differently and love things for different reasons.

So each to their own but lets not label everything High Fidelity that just isn't.
My best mates reckons his yamaha set up is as good as it gets. Well, let him be.

Give audio connection a look, you will be amazed.

And come visit me, I live next door to them.

Cheers
Simon

big guy
15th November 2008, 12:35 PM
Are you serious???

What do you think of the place apart from being totally unorganised, there is some amazing stuff.

Next time i will drop you a line.I just can't afford to go in there.
Spend $1400 on pair of cables last time.
Oh well.

abaddonxi
15th November 2008, 10:06 PM
Are you serious???

What do you think of the place apart from being totally unorganised, there is some amazing stuff.

Next time i will drop you a line.I just can't afford to go in there.
Spend $1400 on pair of cables last time.
Oh well.

I've literally only ever been in there once, in the first few months they were open and didn't like the hard sell. I've heard good things about them since. My father spent hordes of money there last year redoing everything in his house.

Cheers
Simon

jerryd
16th November 2008, 12:10 AM
I wonder if Hi Fi is more addictive than Landrovers ?? :D Maybe we should have a poll !!
I recently went to a Linn Demo night and was completey blown away by their top speakers, I've promised myself a pair if and when I'm allowed to sell the house, only $68k a pair :eek:
The thing I like about Linn equipment is that you can upgrade existing components by adding what they call sneaky modules, so you don't always have to sell to improve your system.

mekon76
26th January 2016, 10:09 AM
Bumping this thread. So what's everyone rocking hi-fi or stereo wise. I sold all my gear when I moved from WA to Victoria recently, sold my RP3 and missions. Kept my 304 NAD as I like the sound from it. Looking at an OPPO unit for CD etc. Currently also use Cambridge audio DAC with Mac mini for digital playback and CDs.

Just sourced a pair of Tannoy Berkeleys and had the caps replaced, bands replaced and covers redone by Speakerbits. Whilst there I picked up a restored Thorens TD160 MKII for vinyl play back.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2016/01/170.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2016/01/171.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2016/01/172.jpg

HAd Linn Sondek LP12 in the past, this is a nostalgia buy as I grew up listening to Dad's record collection on one coupled with Tannoy Ardens. Same drivers.

Slunnie
26th January 2016, 11:01 AM
I thought I was the last standing person rocking a HiFi! Still in daily use too!

The AV system is:

Samsung LCD TV
Buffalo HD
Yamaha Amp/Receiver
Yamaha DVD/CD
Yamaha Cassette deck - I assume it still works
HP Pavilion Computer with NBN
LG Monitor
Acoustic Research front speakers
Solid rear speakers
Richter Centre speaker

trog
26th January 2016, 12:11 PM
I thought I was the last standing person rocking a HiFi! Still in daily use too!

The AV system is:

Samsung LCD TV
Buffalo HD
Yamaha Amp/Receiver
Yamaha DVD/CD
Yamaha Cassette deck - I assume it still works
HP Pavilion Computer with NBN
LG Monitor
Acoustic Research front speakers
Solid rear speakers
Richter Centre speaker

Not the only one out there. The system I have isnt the greatest ever , Yamaha amp/tuner and speakers with a Project turntable and analogue to digital seperate output , it does me just fine. It has really brought me back to music and vinyl again. With the nature of us moving every couple years and the ringing in my ears , anything top shelf would be wasted on me :D
Now for the most part the cars are now the ones collecting dust.

Dark61
26th January 2016, 12:42 PM
Citronic PD25 Turntable - plays 33's 45's and 78's (change the stylus)
Technics A700mk3 amp
Philips CDR760 CD recorder (days before computers)
Cambridge Azur 640c CD player
Denon Tuner TU260L II
Sony TC-WE805S Dual Cassette Player
Wharfdale Emerald floor standing speakers

and a small collection of valve/solid state boxes .

I like to be able to hear a small bit of background noise on the quiet passages.
cheers,
D

trog
26th January 2016, 02:08 PM
Got to love the resurgence of the independant record stores. Makes spending the hard earned very easy :D

p38arover
26th January 2016, 02:43 PM
My hi-fi hardly ever gets used.

My Thorens TD125 turntable, SME arm with Shure V15 cartridge are in the garage and haven't been used in about 15 years.

My garage stereo is a Harmon Kardon stereo receiver with KEF speakers in the garage section and JBL in the electronics workshop. The Harmon Kardon cassette deck hasn't been turned on in years.

The lounge room has a Pioneer amp (can't remember the specs) with Wharfedale speakers. It hardly ever gets turned on. The TV is not connected to the stereo system.

Ron (ex-electronics tech)

Update: The workshop speakers are Acoustic Research, not JBL.
The Wharfedale bookshelf speakers are connected to the Pioneer audio system. The Wharfedale column speakers are on the TV 7.1 sound system (Sony amp and sub-woofer).

mekon76
8th August 2020, 12:12 PM
Bumping, Almost ready to pack up to move out and knock this house down and build our new home. Currently running a Yamaha A-S1100, still using the Thorens TD160mkII and my Tannoy Berkeleys. Plus an extra set of speakers B&W 601 series III and Sangean DAB with OPPO UDP-203 for Blu-Ray, CD, SACD and as DAC for FLAC stored on external drive. I'll keep this but in process of getting a Cocktail Audio X35 to rip, store and stream and run Roon, Tidal etc, pack my CDs away and also rip vinyl as well. In the new build I'm doing a sea container man cave out the back and will move the 601s and my old NAD 302 and AMC power amp out there for listening.

TasD90
8th August 2020, 07:50 PM
A bit old school! Still listening to hifi I purchased in late seventies.

Sonab P4000 amp, Polk Audio Speakers, Dual turntable, was reasonable gear in its day and still sounds great. Added piezo tweeters for

higher sibilance stuff.

Running computer, for iTunes and you tube , through NAD 3020amp and a very nice, though older, pair of Mordaunt Short speakers.

Out of interest still own and use a 1966 Vox AC 30 Top Boost guitar amplifier for band work, just like the Beatles! Sensational sound.

Peter.