PDA

View Full Version : Swags Anyone

Tank
12th January 2007, 11:34 PM
Can anyone recommend a good quality swag at a reasonable price, $150 or less, any more than that and I might as well buy a tent, Regards Frank.

LRHybrid100
14th January 2007, 08:45 AM
I have a Oztrail Mitchell swag - dome type, cost on special about $180.

Larry borrowed it for the HC and bought one as soon as he returned!!!

HTH

LRH

Tank
14th January 2007, 04:00 PM
I have a Oztrail Mitchell swag - dome type, cost on special about $180.

Larry borrowed it for the HC and bought one as soon as he returned!!!

HTH

LRH
I must have good taste, that's the swag I've been most impressed with so far, thanks for your reply, Regards Frank.

Blknight.aus
14th January 2007, 04:40 PM
Mine cost $80 buts its a seriously minimalist swag tho it covers for what I need..it also rolls up smaller than some of the cheapy sleeping bags you get from places like target

The wifes cost $150 from super amart sports stores a couple of years ago during a sale and was an end of line ex demo. Hooped at both ends, mozzie netted and although marked as a single on the wrapper (she wanted it for timor) its bigger than some king singles Ive seen. Both me and the then 7 month pregnant SWMBO camped in it quite comfortabley....

While I suspect that was one of those rare moments murphy smiled on me and the sales guy put the wrong swag in the wrong wrapper or similar keep your eyes out for the end of line/end of stock sales. The local camping store has some nice singles for $170 for the same reason. While smaller they look the same as the wifes are a good 210 long and about 80-85 wide(guestimates).

Tank
14th January 2007, 06:02 PM
We have a large double swag..a Saul I think it is. Its great. never thought I'd like sleeping in a swag but after quite a few nights in it under the stars its not too bad. One thing I find tho is the colder the night temp is, the more condensation you get under the canvas. We have a sheet sewn into a bag, then use a couple of old sleeping bags for blankets as needed. The sleeping bag under the canvas can get quite wet sometimes. Not so bad if you are stopped in daylight to dry it out but I could see how it could be a problem.

I blame Numpty...he's a furnace on legs. I reckon he creates 10deg extra temp at night....

I like comfort too so we put the swag on an airbed...no problems sleeping then no matter what you are on!! :D
Numpy's Missus, the one problem I envisaged was Condensation, I figured Canvas would be better than nylon or synthetics, anyone else have problems with Condensation in a Canvas Swag, Regards Frank.

discowhite
14th January 2007, 08:25 PM
anyone else have problems with Condensation in a Canvas Swag,

not yet but my wife also has furnace legs! its incredibale! and she's the one thats always cold!!!!

i have an AOS tracker double swag, still breaking it in..
i was opting for a 75mm hi density mattress, but went for the 50mm. its a ripper. better than the air beads we used to sleep on! you know the ones that always got a leak at 2pm in the morning:mad:

cheers phil

MT
14th January 2007, 09:22 PM
A potential problem with swags if you are in / go to the Top End or the Kimberley is that you may get too hot. Even the ones with mossie netting inserts can be a bit too restrictive. IMHO the best thing to go for up North is a Mossie Dome with a stretcher inside it - plenty of air flow, you can still put a fly over it if it looks like rain. (also can pack up smaller and lighter than a swag,

Cheers

Mark

BMKal
12th March 2007, 02:35 AM
Probably a bit far out of the way for you - but they used to make good quality swags at the Kalgoorlie prison. Sold them for a very reasonable price through a couple of local businesses. I'm not sure if any other prisons do anything like this, but it might be worth asking. I bought one from the local prison years ago and it still gets regular use.

cipx2
14th March 2007, 11:18 PM
http://www.mrswagman.com.au/economy-cooper.shtml falls in the price range: $140.

nornalup
14th March 2007, 11:58 PM
I have the mr swagman budget double, I think its the oztrail mitchell double, dome type.

Really really happy with it as a tourer. very hot though, even with the canvas fully back and the back net.

I live in a cool climate, and yearly trips up north are when nights are cool. in tropics or far north aust i would think twice about a swag, as they really are a cold climate thing.

By the way I saw on ebay a mr swagman selling a fully decked out defender, anyone know the guy??

waynep
19th March 2007, 12:50 PM
Can anyone recommend a good quality swag at a reasonable price, $150 or less, any more than that and I might as well buy a tent, Regards Frank.

IMHO you buy a swag for a different reason than you buy a tent.
$150 will get you a Chinese made one - or a budget Australian made one using foreign canvas
$300 will get you a good design Australian made one - good quality canvas and stitching.

I have a Burke and Wills swag ( talked about on another thread ) - fully happy with it.

JamesH
21st March 2007, 11:17 AM
I agree with WayneP. The reason I got a swag was not because it was cheaper than a tent (they aren't) it was because I love them. They are literally your own bed and feel just that way. They roll out in 10 seconds and roll up in one minute.

noddy
21st March 2007, 01:29 PM
For one or two people, for a weekend, I don't really think here is anything better than a swag and an awning (just for when it decides to absolutely bucket down or you need some shade out of the sun)

You buy a tent for other reasons....

Disco300Tdi
24th March 2007, 04:50 PM
Does anyone have one of these swags, either single or double ????

http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/sales/20_easter.html

Debacle
24th March 2007, 06:30 PM
IMHO you buy a swag for a different reason than you buy a tent.
$150 will get you a Chinese made one - or a budget Australian made one using foreign canvas
$300 will get you a good design Australian made one - good quality canvas and stitching.

I have a Burke and Wills swag ( talked about on another thread ) - fully happy with it.

Very true, I have a Sar Major, cost $270 over 10 years ago and have slept through thunderstorms in it. It is something that should last a lifetime just about so get a good one.

hiline
24th March 2007, 08:43 PM

no but i might have soon though :D :D

Debacle
24th March 2007, 08:49 PM

Thats not a swag, its a mini tent, doesnt count.

hiline
25th March 2007, 01:53 PM

no but i might have soon though :D :D

very soon indeed ;) went and got one today :D

bring on the hut trips i say :banana: :banana:

Pedro_The_Swift
27th March 2007, 06:50 PM
did you buy the double?
:whistling::angel::p

hiline
27th March 2007, 09:56 PM
did you buy the double?
:whistling::angel::p

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i didn't :p :p

they are 900 wide :D

Disco300Tdi
28th March 2007, 12:20 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i didn't :p :p

they are 900 wide :D

I (under pressure) purchased the double..

They only sent out 6 of each to each store and sold out in hours.....Good thing they have a raincheck policy

hiline
28th March 2007, 03:08 PM

They only sent out 6 of each to each store and sold out in hours.....Good thing they have a raincheck policy

you big soft girl :p :p

i pick mine up next week hopefully :D

Pedro_The_Swift
28th March 2007, 05:13 PM

hmm,
hydraulic pressure?
atmospheric pressure?

SWMBO pressure????

:p:D

Bushie
28th March 2007, 08:51 PM
Just taken delivery (last week) of a new Saul double swag. It will be a couple of weeks before I get to try it and find out if the wife takes to it :eek:.

Martyn

hiline
28th March 2007, 10:01 PM
Just taken delivery (last week) of a new Saul double swag. It will be a couple of weeks before I get to try it and find out if the wife takes to it :eek:.

Martyn

how much you pay for it ??

and if the wife dont approve how much will it be then :D ;)

numpty
29th March 2007, 07:38 AM

Martyn

That's the same as ours Mar Tyn. We are looking at making some modifications to it. Will be interested to hear your opinion on it once tried.

DiscoMick
29th March 2007, 08:04 PM
We have two single Sauls, basic but good quality. Excellent mattresses. Waterproof, pretty much. Kids have camped on the beach lots of times on surfing trips in them. We've used them in the rain. Hot weather is a problem if there are mossies as its too hot inside so you throw it off and then get bitten. A mossie dome would be a good addition for those times, with the swags inside.

Disco300Tdi
31st March 2007, 12:28 PM
hmm,
hydraulic pressure?
atmospheric pressure?

SWMBO pressure????

:p:D

Yes Pedro,,,the worst pressure when it comes to buying gear for the RR or camping ;) ;)

hiline
1st April 2007, 01:38 PM
got mine this morning :D :D

not bad for $150 i say ;)

Disco300Tdi
1st April 2007, 05:29 PM
got mine this morning :D :D

not bad for $150 i say ;)

Would you of paid the RRP of $300 ?

hiline
1st April 2007, 05:59 PM
Would you of paid the RRP of $300 ?

not a chance mate

but then again i wouldn't pay that for any swag ;)

RoverOne
23rd May 2007, 11:56 PM
I used to sell wholesale many types of swags to the camping industry & have owned a number of different brands.

My personal choice is a Saul Swag from Tawonga in Victoria. You can't buy them retail they only retail at camping/4wd shows etc but I believe they will mail order. They give a life time guarantee, with free repair service to Swag anytime. The other good reason for this brand is the generous 1.03 metre width (41") 2.15 metre long (7') & awsome 1.4 metre (54") headcover, in total 9 1/2 square yards of canvas (8m2). When you see this swag there is no other to compare for quality. Malcom Douglas uses these exlusively for many years in the territory. In bed in 60 seconds.

I know in LROC Sydney at least 6 or 7 guys with them & they are sworn by as the best & thats my opinion of them.

Another realy good manufacturer is Bushwakka (B & J Canvas) www.bushwakkaswag.com (http://www.bushwakkaswag.com)

For a cheaper variety I would suggest Simon Heard Canvas www.simonheardcanvas.com.au (http://www.simonheardcanvas.com.au) their single basic is very well priced.

RoverOne
24th May 2007, 12:04 AM
Numpy's Missus, the one problem I envisaged was Condensation, I figured Canvas would be better than nylon or synthetics, anyone else have problems with Condensation in a Canvas Swag, Regards Frank.

Never had the pleasure, even when raining & tucked under neath.

matbor
25th May 2007, 07:58 PM
http://www.saulswags.com.au/index.htm

Slunnie
25th May 2007, 08:43 PM
You'll get condensation if you fully zip the swag. If you leave the head open etc so it can breath, then it wont be a problem.

RobHay
26th May 2007, 06:24 AM
Probably a bit far out of the way for you - but they used to make good quality swags at the Kalgoorlie prison. Sold them for a very reasonable price through a couple of local businesses. I'm not sure if any other prisons do anything like this, but it might be worth asking. I bought one from the local prison years ago and it still gets regular use.

I have a really great one.........Product of Woodford Correctional Centre.....and I even got to supervise the construction of it :), now hows that for service.:nazilock:

sclarke
26th May 2007, 10:59 AM
Mine is a Jolly Swagman Drover Xtra

http://www.jollyswags.swag.com.au/images/categories/Drover_1.jpg

http://www.jollyswags.swag.com.au/cgi-bin/products.cgi?id=23749203271541481180144491#Drover

Cost me about $230 from Rays

ScrubPleb
14th July 2007, 12:59 PM
If you get one with a built-in net, make sure there is plenty of clearance above you. Don't get one that slopes down towards your feet. On those hot summer nights when you sleep on top of your bedding the mozzies will feast wherever the net drapes on you.
A built-in net does have the advantage of keeping things that slither and crawl around the bush out of your swag.

DirtyDawg
15th July 2007, 05:52 AM
;)Goretex Bivvie bag dont get wet in or out......then a regular size run of the mill swag for space saving....and a USMC folding stretcher..a must....

incisor
15th July 2007, 08:03 AM
Can you tell that to our swag please ;):D

am leaving this one alone.........

Bushwanderer
25th August 2007, 12:55 PM
You'll get condensation if you fully zip the swag. If you leave the head open etc so it can breath, then it wont be a problem.

Hi Slunnie,
I agree with Numpty's Missus.

We don't only pass moisture with our breath, but through the pores of our skin.

Extreme eg.: Those doing overnight bushwalks often fit a packliner that in an emergency can be used as an emergency shelter. It is like a large garbage bag, but thicker & tougher.

One night I decided to test this. We slept under a rock shelter & I still used my sleeping bag.

In the morning, even though I had slept with my upper body outside the "shelter", my down sleeping bag was saturated. :o

As we were "walking out" that day it wasn't necessary to try to dry the bag. Otherwise hypothermia could have become an issue.

Bushwanderer