PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Engel Fridge

Mudnut
15th January 2007, 01:01 PM
My Engel fridge (which is a replacement for one that was stolen) is much louder than the one I had. Both are/were less than 2 years old. When I took it back to the place I purchased it, I was told some are louder than others. My first one I had to check and see if it was turned on. This one I can hear it while driving my Defender. It is loud enogh to hear outside the car while camping. It cools properly, but is just noisy. Is this common? Is there something I should check?
I have the Engel repair agent for my area, and can drop it off as it is still under warranty, but wanted to get some feedback before I do this.

Thanks,

Ken

Captain_Rightfoot
15th January 2007, 01:12 PM
My Engel fridge (which is a replacement for one that was stolen) is much louder than the one I had. Both are/were less than 2 years old. When I took it back to the place I purchased it, I was told some are louder than others. My first one I had to check and see if it was turned on. This one I can hear it while driving my Defender. It is loud enogh to hear outside the car while camping. It cools properly, but is just noisy. Is this common? Is there something I should check?
I have the Engel repair agent for my area, and can drop it off as it is still under warranty, but wanted to get some feedback before I do this.

Thanks,

Ken
If you can hear it while driving your defender either the fridge or the car has serious problems! :D :D

We have a nearly 2 year old engle and you can hear it if you stop to listen to it... but only then. I would describe it as very quiet. :)

You'd have buckleys chance of hearing it while driving the car... even with the engine at idle. Our setup has it in the back seat, so the motor unit is only a few CM from my ear.

ladas
15th January 2007, 01:52 PM

Thanks,

Ken

If it's that noisy - the compressor is either faulty/unbalanced or is not mounted properly.

Depending on the model the compressor has either one or two mounting brackets, these should have insulation foam between the compressor and the bracket. Plus on some the mounts for the brackets have rubber feet.

If you can have a peek inside (I know on some it's hard) and just see if the compressor is bolted up properly.

Another thing - in the spec there should be a noise level spec (Dba or Dbb) - if you or someone you know has a sound meter - measure it @ 1 meter compair it with spec. If it's out - take it back.

Camo
15th January 2007, 01:54 PM
something isn't right for sure. mine is nearly 2 years old..60l fridge/freezer and can just hear the hum in my car when its off!

camo

Bushie
15th January 2007, 03:26 PM
Perfectly normal.

Must be, nothing ever goes wrong with an engel :o:o;)

You must have a very quiet defender though.

Martyn

Camo
15th January 2007, 03:27 PM
Perfectly normal.

Must be, nothing ever goes wrong with an engel

You must have a very quiet defender though.

Martyn

Normal? WTF? if he can hear while driving a fender there has to be something wrong. Engle will fix it for sure

incisor
15th January 2007, 03:32 PM
60litre engels are renown for getting a rattle.

i have a noisy one too, but it uses no extra power and gets just as cold.

i suspect the mounting ubbers on mine but it means a regas so i put up with it...

havent priced a new compressor but they want $300 odd to do the rubbers and regas it.... thats why it still rattles...

seqfisho
15th January 2007, 03:59 PM
My 40lt is coming up on 9yo and it's pretty quiet, certainly cant hear it while the car is going and I have a Disco, pretty much got to be standing beside it with the back door open to hear it running.

I'd be getting it looked at if it's under warranty before it runs out and YOU have to pay to fix it.

dmdigital
15th January 2007, 05:12 PM
Like's been said, if you can hear it over the Defender when driving there is definitely a problem.

My 40L Engel is 7 years old and 4 years ago went through a roll over and was running upside down for over 2 hours - Engel survived, Disco didn't. Still works, still very quiet, just battle scared.

MT
15th January 2007, 07:46 PM
Full agree about too much noise been 'wrong' , have had 40l engel for 7 years, it is so bloody quiet that I have to check that the light is on every now and then to see that it is still running / fuse hasn't blown. Reckon its made by the same blokes who designed stealth bombers.

Captain_Rightfoot
15th January 2007, 07:52 PM
Full agree about too much noise been 'wrong' , have had 40l engel for 7 years, it is so bloody quiet that I have to check that the light is on every now and then to see that it is still running / fuse hasn't blown. Reckon its made by the same blokes who designed stealth bombers.
You think the stealth bomber designers have a cold heart? :o :D

ladas
15th January 2007, 07:56 PM
60litre engels are renown for getting a rattle.

i have a noisy one too, but it uses no extra power and gets just as cold.

i suspect the mounting ubbers on mine but it means a regas so i put up with it...

havent priced a new compressor but they want $300 odd to do the rubbers and regas it.... thats why it still rattles...

Sorry can't see why replacement mounting rubbers need the system to e re-gassed ?

..........$300.00 to change the rubbers and re-gas is still bloody expensive.

robert42
2nd February 2007, 07:34 AM
Hi Mudnut your Engel needs to be looked at for sure.. They have two inner springs and should be a matched pair.. if one breaks or when fitted is not the right one ..it will be very noisy and will destroy its self in time ..I have a 1964 model still goes and has original motor and gas ..and is very quite..also have a few bits for engels if anyone needs something for the early models..made my own engel from a chestcold body.. fitted a 40lt.full size vap.with a 60lt motor..yes its a doosie. and runs quite..its a hobby of mine.. love engels..

whitepajeross
26th April 2011, 10:04 AM
We have just purchased a new Engel 40L. and have had it turned on in the house until we install it in the car. The hum when on is extremely loud - probably OK in car but we had planned on putting it on our small yacht - I think it would drive us crazy. Has anyone had this problem and if so can it be fixed?

Tank
26th April 2011, 12:32 PM
We have just purchased a new Engel 40L. and have had it turned on in the house until we install it in the car. The hum when on is extremely loud - probably OK in car but we had planned on putting it on our small yacht - I think it would drive us crazy. Has anyone had this problem and if so can it be fixed?
I have the new plastic body Engel and it is noisier than my full size fridge, when I have it running in the house it will wake me at night when it starts up.
Friend has the same problem with his and has been replaced 3 times and still no difference in noise, get in touch with Engel and complain, enough complaints and they might do something about it, Regards Frank.

101RRS
26th April 2011, 12:50 PM
My cheap $500 ebay fridge is nice and quiet:D - cold, economical on power and trouble free.

The fan on your engel by itself is probably more expensive than my whole fridge.

Garry

rar110
29th April 2011, 05:46 AM
Mine is the early turbo fan type about 13 years old. It has got noisy in the last few years. In the house you can feel the timber floor vibrate when it's nearby. Probably time to open it up for a look.