PDA

View Full Version : IE7 not working

landrovermick
25th February 2007, 07:24 PM
heres a curly one for ya - I recently upgraded to IE7 - only because microsoft told me to ( i know i should turn auto upgrades off)

for the last week of so when i open ie7 it just comes up with "Internet explorer cannot open page' no matter what page you open.

Now i have gone to MS site using mozilla - but beacuse im not there using IE it wont let me upgrade the program, .... insert never ending circle here

I have removed and re installed ie7 to no avail and when i took it off what was left - i had ie6 before ie 7 didnt work either.

what do i do

dmdigital
25th February 2007, 07:48 PM
Have a look in the Connections settings tab of the Internet options for IE. Make sure you don't have a proxy server enabled (unless you need to) and in the advanced tab check auto-detect settings.

May not work but only thing I can think of.

incisor
25th February 2007, 07:52 PM
sounds like a corrupted bho or lsp

spudboy
25th February 2007, 09:42 PM
Incisor - what is a bho and an lsp? :confused:

shorty943
25th February 2007, 11:10 PM
Just install Firefox 2.something. Oh, and switch MS updates to notify only, that way you can choose only the most important security updates, and NEVER let MS install the Genuine Advantage garbage on your machine.

You own it man, not MS, drive it your way.

Just for a fright, Google "zdnet.com" and register for their security bulletins, you might even want to try Linux, after reading some of the security problems IE7, Office 07, and yes, even Vista have. Linux user group meets at Crafers.

If you have a Cisco, Dlink, (and a couple of others where on the list) router for your broadband, change the admin password now, right now. In the last week they have been hacked via a slack password security regime.

bho is "browser helper object" for IE. Sometimes OK, sometimes bad. CoolWebSearch or CWS, is a bad example, a browser hijacker.

isp is your "internet service provider"?

Shorty.

incisor
25th February 2007, 11:37 PM
Just install Firefox 2.something. you may need to hold off on firefox for a week or two, there is "educated speculation" that there is a very nasty little naughty thing affecting this browser on ALL platforms.
going on past history it will be two to three weeks till the truth be known...

incisor
25th February 2007, 11:43 PM
Incisor - what is a bho and an lsp? :confused:

the bho is as shorty said...

the lsp is not an I it is an l... they attach themselves to the network protocol stack and are used for good and evil, there is a util called lspfix.exe out there that will fix any problems you may have in the area. NEVER use the advanced features of this util, let it do the talking....

incisor
25th February 2007, 11:45 PM
You own it man, not MS, drive it your way.need new glasses mate? i suggest you read the license again....

shorty943
26th February 2007, 01:10 AM
I meant the computer scisor. I know Bill own's the OS. And he kindly lets us "borrow" a copy under lawyers control. I've read the EULA as well. And I don't like the part that says MS refuses to guarantee the product will work for you. The Linux EULA reads similarly, I know, but at least it is freely available.
No, I simply meant the computer is ours, not the OS.
LSP. Not ISP. Got it, my mistake, sorry. I'll just clean my glasses,----

Is that any better?

Shorty.

Aussie
26th February 2007, 11:56 AM
and NEVER let MS install the Genuine Advantage garbage on your machine.

If you do not install this validation tool then you cannot receive any updates until such times as you install it

Rovernaut
26th February 2007, 05:29 PM
If you do not install this validation tool then you cannot receive any updates until such times as you install it
Ah not quite.
You can work around this by changing the settings on how updates are installed.
If download and let user choice when and if to install updates., then you can pick the updates that are to be installed, untick genuine advantage and select the others you want. Works on a lot but not all.:angel:

Rovernaut
26th February 2007, 05:31 PM
Ah not quite.
You can work around this by changing the settings on how updates are installed.
If download and let user choice when and if to install updates., then you can pick the updates that are to be installed, untick genuine advantage and select the others you want. Works on a lot but not all.:angel:
Ooops already mentioned in a prviouis post by someone else... sorry:wasntme:

Aussie
26th February 2007, 06:20 PM
I think you'll find this method will only work on non-critical updates, and some critical hotfixes. But having said that its still a good idea :D

shorty943
26th February 2007, 08:58 PM
I keep forgetting, I use a corporate version of XP. No activation, no ingenuine disadvantage, and yes sir you betcha I get every damned update, every single one of them and don't you doubt it sir. ;)
Sorry guys, using XP Home, you don't even get a full networking setup, can't cross domains, or is it log into or some thing, can't remember right now. I keep forgetting the step up my friend in IT gave my system, I am a networking research sub-department now. Or a hereditary pirate, one or the other.:angel:

And this all started with a call for help over IE7, can't we have fun on the sidetrack.

Shorty.

Aussie
27th February 2007, 08:48 AM
XP Home wont let you join a domain whereas Xp Pro will. Just one of the little differences

landrovermick
27th February 2007, 09:05 AM
And this all started with a call for help over IE7, can't we have fun on the sidetrack.

Shorty.

Thanks shorty. she still no work - i have just deleted IE7 again will see if i can get 6 to work again - i had no probelms with it

Mick

shorty943
27th February 2007, 12:35 PM
Just finished reading some of the Vista blogs from my ZDNet service. More tales of woe, than the wailing wall has to put up with.:( People trying to upgrade to Vista, from their liggit XP, but, their stock XP is underpinned by FAT32, Vista is stictly NTFS. Now, the average Joe or Joe-ette, who never had to understand file system formats or multi-partitioning, is getting lost in a useless loop.

Vista only upgrades from within XP, error - Vista will not install to FAT32, boot from Vista DVD and run fsconvert. Okay, force reboot from DVD, error - Vista will only install from within XP, please reboot.:eek:

I know there is a file system conversion utility in XP, all my XP based machines are NTFS. But, how many average users out in the world have looked deeper into the mechanics of the system? None. They just want it to work, not unlike the automatic motorcar, they don't want to have to learn some technical stuff, they just want what they want.

Snot, now I've got off track. IE7 idiot. IE7.

Still lots of bugs and security worries in that pile of code.( I'm still on IE6, and only then for the MS Update parts). And Office 07.

And now my preffered browser, Firefox, has a problem Mozilla are looking into.

Is it any wonder I like to use and test other OS's?

Que sera.

Shorty.

incisor
27th February 2007, 12:47 PM
it is the same with all new OS's .... ever play with yggdrasil ?

shorty943
27th February 2007, 01:03 PM
No, never heard of it. Good? Steep learning curve? Or L\nix with a twist?

Shorty.

incisor
27th February 2007, 01:15 PM
nah, long gone, one of the first attempts at a commercial distribution of linux... nearly drove me to utter distraction... had 3 days to get a major bulletin board back up and going and that was all that was around... just made it much to my surprise...

then were the days......

shorty943
27th February 2007, 01:25 PM
Okay, tx cisor. I enjoy playing with some of these headcase OS's. Retired now, the brain can do with the exercise that the body doesn't like anymore.
Still waiting on my Solaris disks to be delivered, I think it is coming via sea-snail mail.

Shorty.