PDA

View Full Version : LED Maglite

Captain_Rightfoot
12th March 2007, 08:57 PM
I bought a LED maglite today. Absolutely stunned me with it's brightness. I was expecting a bright torch with longer than usual battery life. What I got was a spotlight with amazing battery life :eek: :eek:

LED MAGLITE (http://www.maglite.com/D_Cell_LED.asp)

I got it new off ebay and it was $30 cheaper than in the shops. :)

I've bought about 4 $20 spotlights from supercheap that last for about 1 camping trip, so this is much better value. :)

rangieman
12th March 2007, 09:04 PM
moose a forum member has one its a fantastic light:D

JDNSW
13th March 2007, 06:11 AM
When I was in the US eighteen months ago I got an LED conversion kit for my Maglite pen torch. Very pleased with the amount of light - and it still has the same batteries I put in then!

John

JohnE
13th March 2007, 02:50 PM
Hey those led lights aren;'t bad, I got a freebie,streamlight head set 3 position led light from a gunrunner, about 3 years ago, runs on 3 aaa batteries, is still on the batteries it came with, and i use it all the time around here, a good white light.
LED is the way to go.
are those maglight conversions available here,would be better than the little bulbs
no sign on the site that the magcharger will take the led light kit.

john

Reads90
13th March 2007, 02:58 PM
I have one of these, they are by land rover and are lED and really bright. Use it all the time for fixing the car and other stuff. Love it so much i have 2 now.:D

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/

cartm58
13th March 2007, 03:43 PM
you can buy LED light replacements on EBAY various prices ranging from $5 to $20

landrovermick
13th March 2007, 03:45 PM
we have the stream light led - intrinsically safe for work- in short they are hopeless, nice white light, but terrible for video recording stuff at night.

garryc
4th June 2007, 02:18 PM
I have one of these, they are by land rover and are lED and really bright. Use it all the time for fixing the car and other stuff. Love it so much i have 2 now.:D

http://www.lancenich.co.uk/images/products/Landy%20torch_WEB.jpg

I bought a bunch of these while in Hong Kong last year, AU$3.50 each. Also put the ultra bright leds into my large yellow rechargable torch and it runs for 40 hours before recharge. The original bulb would last 30 minutes. Also put the leds in my LR interior lights.:)

dmdigital
4th June 2007, 03:42 PM
I just converted my 3D Cell Maglite over to LED - bloody brilliant, and the batteries last a lot longer.

jik22
4th June 2007, 04:58 PM
I just converted my 3D Cell Maglite over to LED - bloody brilliant, and the batteries last a lot longer.

I was going to buy that conversion...but was waiting until I saw a review! Any ideas if you can use them with rechargeables?

dmdigital
4th June 2007, 05:07 PM
Are you talking rechargeables as in the Maglites that are rechargeable or a MagLite with rechargeable batteries in it???

The one I bought (King of Knives had them on special the other week) was for a 3 C or D Cell MagLite. There was ones for other size Maglites too. I didn't see ones for the rechargeable MagLite, and from memory it has a different bulb in it.

JamesH
4th June 2007, 06:05 PM
I've got an old 3D I wouldn't mind converting. What sort of price are we talking?

dmdigital
4th June 2007, 06:09 PM
I think the standard price was about $40 - got mine for less as it was on special:)

jik22
4th June 2007, 06:37 PM
Are you talking rechargeables as in the Maglites that are rechargeable or a MagLite with rechargeable batteries in it???

The one I bought (King of Knives had them on special the other week) was for a 3 C or D Cell MagLite. There was ones for other size Maglites too. I didn't see ones for the rechargeable MagLite, and from memory it has a different bulb in it.

Yeah, I meant for my 3D cell one, which I run on 4000mAh rechargeables.

I also have the rechargeable Maglite, which is wired into the cubby box on the Defender so it's always to hand - and you're right, this uses a Halogen bulb as opposed to the normal Xenon or Krypton lamps in the torches, and I don't think there is an LED kit for that, not that you'd need it.

jik22
4th June 2007, 06:43 PM
I think the standard price was about $40 - got mine for less as it was on special:)

Will ask the wife to collect tomorrow now I know they're OK - bet they're not on special any more though. Too dangerous for me to go into that shop - I always buy another Global knife whilst there. :(

Brett67
4th June 2007, 08:48 PM
Jaycar has a mini maglite LED conversion kit for $15.00

longreach
5th June 2007, 03:52 PM
:wasntme:Just sent away for a meg torch, and a head fitting torch......both for $50 dollars....the meg light takes 3 d batteries....the head torch takes 2 AAA batteries...from www.ledshoponline.com...........hope (http://www.ledshoponline.com...........hope) to get them to morrows post...........keith:cool:

incisor
5th June 2007, 03:57 PM
love my 6D mag-lite... one of those excellent things

make great pacifiers as well.

Captain_Rightfoot
5th June 2007, 04:45 PM
love my 6D mag-lite... one of those excellent things

make great pacifiers as well.

Great for cunning stunts :D:D

Relay
5th June 2007, 04:47 PM
Heh, my work torch is an LED, super bright, compact alloy casing and I've run over it a few times and it still works. I payed $80 for mine, but it is a rather special one. I've also payed $120 for a snapon equivalent for the other half, which ironically is not as bright.

I carry mine in my pocket pretty much anywhere I go...not only are they very useful, in some circumstances they double as a safety device. Some nasty critter comes up to mug you, whip the torch out, blind the idiot with it, then smack him in the side of the head and run. It's the perfect excuse to get one for the missus too...that you can borrow when yours goes astray!

dmdigital
5th June 2007, 04:49 PM
Will ask the wife to collect tomorrow now I know they're OK - bet they're not on special any more though. Too dangerous for me to go into that shop - I always buy another Global knife whilst there. :(

Mate you're looking at the wrong knives... have a look at the Kyocera cermics and the Shun. I think I should stay away from there too.

nornalup
5th June 2007, 06:43 PM
Once you have completed your collection of Global knives, you will discover Wusthof and realise 4 knives from them is all you need in life:p

jik22
5th June 2007, 06:49 PM
Mate you're looking at the wrong knives... have a look at the Kyocera cermics and the Shun. I think I should stay away from there too.

Globals were the best compromise between the wife agreeing we needed decent kitchen knives and the fact that anything dearer would have had her thinking how she could better spend the money on more furniture or another painting! ;)

That said, the ceramics seem far cheaper now than when we bought a couple of years ago. :mad:

DRS
5th June 2007, 07:41 PM
Found LED kit at the kitbag reasonable price
http://www.kitbag.com.au/prod971.htm

and check our Furi knives. Good quality Australian brand. Really hold there edge. Favourite is the east west.

weeds
6th June 2007, 05:44 PM
i now have a 4D LED maglight as of today, had fun with the bat that fly low over the house.............well not that much fun as it didn't really bother them ........it was cool watching two little red dots cruise through the air

jik22
7th June 2007, 10:01 PM
Hmm...that was expensive!

Went to King of Knives tonight, and not only did they have both 3 and 4 cell LED bulbs, they still had them in the sale with 40% off - which made an extortionate 2 x $70 quite a bit cheaper.

Unfortunately, they also had some Gerber and Columbia River knives at 50% off, so I now have two more I didn't really need, but very much wanted. :D

Never go into King of Knives with more than the exact amount of cash you need when they have a sale on......... :angel:

Quite impressed with the lamps though - just put one into my 4C-cell Mag and the amount of light is really quite impressive for the amount of battery life I should get.