PDA

View Full Version : laptop ac power adapter

GRUNTOSAURUS
19th March 2007, 11:17 AM
i am new here and i am not really into computers but i bought my daughter a laptop a little while ago. she needs it for UNI. it was 2nd hand off ebay and it didnt come with an ac power adapter although it was supposed to. no probs cos i got on the email thingy and sent the man i got it off saying there was no power adapter thingy. he said yeah now worries and they sent it out really quick but the bloody thing has buggered up now, after about 3-4 weeks! it started to melt the wires and make a bit of smoke near the laptop end so i quickly unplugged it before i burnt down my house! :(
any way i was wondering if any of you know where to get a laptop ac power adapter thingy from? maybe point me in the right direction! PLEASE ! :)

or some good laptop places websites or shops etc?

Dante
19th March 2007, 11:20 AM
i am new here and i am not really into computers but i bought my daughter a laptop a little while ago 2nd hand off ebay and it didnt come with an ac power adapter although it was supposed to. no probs cos i got on the email thingy and sent the man i got it off saying there was no power adapter thingy and he said yeah now worries an they sent it out really quick but the bloody thing has buggered up now after about 3-4 weeks! it started to melt the wires and make a bit of smoke near the laptop end so i quickly unplugged it before i burnt down my house! :(
any way i was wondering if any of you know where to get a laptop ac power adapter thingy from? maybe point me in the right direction! PLEASE ! :)

Make sure you buy a combined 12V DC and 240VC adapter.
You can go to Harris Technology or Office Works or similar or WC Penfold or Harvey Norman or Dick Smith Powerhouse. They have brands like Targus or Kensigton.

The important thing is to know the exact model and brand.

You can buy online at
http://www.expressonline.com.au/
http://www.streetwise.com.au/
http://www.tryandbyte.com.au/

I am sure there are others ... and keep in mind ... no matter how cheap you buy ... you will find one cheaper AFTER you bought yours

Reads90
19th March 2007, 11:57 AM
i am new here and i am not really into computers but i bought my daughter a laptop a little while ago. she needs it for UNI. it was 2nd hand off ebay and it didnt come with an ac power adapter although it was supposed to. no probs cos i got on the email thingy and sent the man i got it off saying there was no power adapter thingy. he said yeah now worries and they sent it out really quick but the bloody thing has buggered up now, after about 3-4 weeks! it started to melt the wires and make a bit of smoke near the laptop end so i quickly unplugged it before i burnt down my house! :(

i got mine from Ebay and have had no worries with it

GRUNTOSAURUS
19th March 2007, 06:49 PM
ta guys, i will go check them out! :)

abaddonxi
19th March 2007, 08:58 PM
Lots of places will sell you a fit-most-anything adapter. Officeworks, Jaycar, Tandy, Dick Smith, Harvey Norman, etc. They will cost about $100. Some of them only specific voltages. Check the bottom of your old adapter, or if you suspect you have been sent the wrong one check out websites for details.

If you don't want to spend that much you can probably get a replacement off ebay, either here or US site. Generally they are pretty good.

The other possibility is that you have one of those laptop power supplies that were faulty and recalled by manufacturer. Apple laptops have had this happen, as have other brands.

In some cases a manufacturer will use one voltage and plug type for all if its computers in which case they adapters should be interchangeable.

What model m/f laptop?

Cheers
Simon.

GRUNTOSAURUS
19th March 2007, 10:07 PM
it is a Mitac 8000DX !

on the bottom of the laptop it says input 19V 4.74A

it also says in smaller print for use with power supply model ADP-90SB DD or API3AD05

on the bottom of the ac power adapter = 19V 3.2A [maybe its the wrong one?]

abaddonxi
19th March 2007, 11:57 PM
I've found that Amps in laptop adapters don't make a great deal of difference unless there is a huge difference between the amp values. I'm sure someone else will have a much better explanation.

Have a look here:
http://search-desc.ebay.com.au/19v_W0QQcatrefZC5QQfbdZ1QQfclZ3QQflocZ1QQfposZ2040 QQfromZR6QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQfssZ0QQftrtZ1Q QftrvZ1QQftsZ2QQga10244Z10425QQnojsprZyQQpfidZ0QQs aaffZafdefaultQQsacatZQ2d1QQsacqyopZgeQQsacurZ0QQs adisZ200QQsargnZQ2d1QQsaslcZ0QQsaslopZ1QQsofocusZb sQQsspagenameZhQ3ahQ3aadvsearchQ3aAU

Hordes of cheap 19v adapters. Only problem is the plug on the end. Since you have the old plug already it should be dead easy. Just make sure you get positive and negative the right way round.

Or something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Universal-AC-DC-Power-Adapter-Supply-Notebook-Laptop_W0QQitemZ230105825857QQcategoryZ118156QQrdZ 1QQcmdZViewItem

That's about as cheap as you're going to get and it comes with pretty much every plug you can think of. As I said, if your laptop has a weird plug you can always cut it off and join wires together. if you want to be flashy you could solder the wires together, and slide a bit of heat shrink tape over the join, hit it with a lighter and you'll barely tell that it's been joined.

Cheers
Simon

p38arover
20th March 2007, 12:01 AM
I recently picked up an HP 19v power adaptor at a computer market for $10. Now, at home, I can leave it plugged into my $1 docking station from the same markets, complete with mouse and printer cables and just drop the laptop on and I'm ready to run.

I can leave the original PS and mouse in my computer bag ready for use at work.

Ron

moose
20th March 2007, 08:32 AM
Who needs ebay when you can get stuff that cheap eh?:D

GRUNTOSAURUS
21st March 2007, 09:50 AM
i rang a few places close to home and yes one off the above posts said that they will want around $100 and that is dead right! that is for a universal one. :(

i will have to look else where!

pretender
21st March 2007, 02:05 PM
Where are you located? I may have a suitable power supply but I cannot guarantee it. I have about 30 in my shed and around the house.
I know I have some 19V adaptors but I cannot remember one with AMPS that high but I'll have a good look.

I will have a look in my shed tomorrow and if I do have one suitable you can have it for the price of postage, if it's high, or I'll just send it to through Aus Post at the regular rate which I couldn't see costing more than say $4.00, I'm happy to wear that and all I ask is that you "pay it forward". That is do a favour for someone else next time the opportunity arises.
No I'm not a tree hugging Hippy:D

pretender
23rd March 2007, 01:39 AM
Sorry could not find one that was anywhere near the correct Amps.

The part numbers you listed are Acer/Benq part numbers so the one at the link below would be the one to get.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Laptop-Acer-AC-Adapter-19V-4-74A_W0QQitemZ140050917716QQcategoryZ118156QQrdZ1QQ ssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

This link shows what other laptops use the same adapter which may help if searching for a secondhand unit:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Acer-HP-Compaq-Toshiba-19v-4-74a-Laptop-Adapter-Charger_W0QQitemZ120100595596QQcategoryZ96908QQrdZ 1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

GRUNTOSAURUS
23rd March 2007, 07:50 AM
thanks defender for your efforts! :)

and also the link!

waynep
23rd March 2007, 08:53 AM
There was an article in the Melbourne age Green Guide on this this week - Charles Wright's Bleeding Edge.