PDA

View Full Version : Sandfly netting and repellent.

crump
5th April 2007, 04:45 PM
just had 3 days up at Agnes and the Sandflys/Biting Midges were unbelievable, I usually take a mossie net to string up over my swag but this time it was useless as the little beestards just crawled thru and gave me hell all night, I look like a giant Elmo.I know you can get Midge mesh, anyone know of a supplier in Brissy that could make me up a net or is their an off the shelf product??
While where on the topic what repellent works, I had Tropical strength Aeroguard and they just bit thru it immediately after applying it??

incisor
5th April 2007, 04:51 PM
bushmans or rid mate... aeroguard in useless...

the mortein outdoor lamps where you burn a candle under a card are absolutely fantasmagorical .. even make bribie bearable...

dmdigital
5th April 2007, 06:28 PM
Tropical strength (DEET) Ridd is OK but the Bushman's (maximum strength one) is unbeatable - and probably carcinogenic - just DON"T put it on anything plastic, painted etc.

I heard of a guy in Darwin who melted his hearing aids with the stuff and I know of several people who have damaged their sunglasses... but it stops insects bitting!

ladas
5th April 2007, 06:38 PM
I use alhoe vera (hello Vera) - never dare bite my bits - or the kids for that matter, cheap and cheerful as well

ladas
5th April 2007, 07:41 PM
do you have a plant? or do you buy some propriety variety of hello vera?

We have a few plants in the garden, and I mix the sap with some basic glycerine to make it more spreadable.

...........however when I lived in asia - we use to buy the bottled stuff ...that worked as well

p38arover
5th April 2007, 07:51 PM
do you have a plant? or do you buy some propriety variety of hello vera?

No, he uses it with impropriety. :D

Ron

ladas
5th April 2007, 07:59 PM
No, he uses it with impropriety. :D

Ron

Pilchard :D

RobHay
5th April 2007, 08:36 PM
bushmans or rid mate... aeroguard in useless...

the mortein outdoor lamps where you burn a candle under a card are absolutely fantasmagorical .. even make bribie bearable...

Recently completed research at UQ states that aeroguard is to midges what a bitch on heat in my back yard is to the 250 male dogs who live in my neighborhood :mad: :eek:

Ken
6th April 2007, 03:16 PM
I used to live in Darwin and the one thing that worked no questions was Rid Marvelous stuff

MT
6th April 2007, 09:03 PM
I used to live in Darwin and the one thing that worked no questions was Rid Marvelous stuff

When I lived in Darwin I found that Bundy worked - have a few and you did not feel the little buggers biting;)

Disco300Tdi
8th April 2007, 02:20 PM
When I lived in Darwin I found that Bundy worked - have a few and you did not feel the little buggers biting;)

Wonderful stuff that,, cures most things but its one side effect is that it has known to cause pregnancy.........

Disco300Tdi
8th April 2007, 02:24 PM
Christine makes up a potion of equal parts of..

Dettol
Eucalyptus Oil
Calamine Lotion
Baby Oil

Mix it together, put it in a cheap spray bottle, works fine

Disco300Tdi
9th April 2007, 03:40 PM
Seeing as it has Calamine in it, does it leave a powdery residue on your skin?

No NM, residue free, it also takes the inflamation out after a bite

landrovermick
9th April 2007, 04:29 PM
before i found out i was diabetic nothing bit me - now its under control and blood sugar is "normal" everything bites the heck out of me.....

DEFENDERZOOK
11th April 2007, 01:50 AM
i recently heard that tiger balm takes the sting out of mossie bites........

havent tested it yet.......i think prevention is better........

Chenz
11th April 2007, 10:16 PM
We have a few plants in the garden, and I mix the sap with some basic glycerine to make it more spreadable.

...........however when I lived in asia - we use to buy the bottled stuff ...that worked as well

I do a lot of luderick (******) fishing from the banks of various creeks and rivers up and down the coast which entails standing in water ranging from ankle deep to knee deep. All of the aforementioned repellents work until they wash off.

Does your aloe vera stay on when it gets wet? I just came back from the south coast for Easter and my legs look like a Chokito bar.

1103.9TDI
9th May 2007, 05:21 PM
Rid for campfire stuff, for more extreme fun Bushmans Tropical is the go, but not 24/7, wouldn't be surprised if it causes birth defects. Those Mortein candles with the cards do work well.......I'd also be interested in a Midge/sandfly filter that allows you to breathe, somewhere mum can escape to so she'll be keen to go bush more often.......:D

disco_thrasher
24th May 2007, 12:06 PM
I use 1part baby oil 1part dettol 1/2 part metho
works a treat even them fighter pilots on fraser stayed away
you can lesser the metho to your liking but i find it waters the oils down a bit so you dont become a sand stik:D

Outlaw
24th May 2007, 01:50 PM
I use 1part baby oil 1part dettol 1/2 part metho
works a treat even them fighter pilots on fraser stayed away
you can lesser the metho to your liking but i find it waters the oils down a bit so you dont become a sand stik:D
Man i bet the ladies love you with that fragrance :D

chunk
24th May 2007, 07:26 PM
just had 3 days up at Agnes and the Sandflys/Biting Midges were unbelievable, I usually take a mossie net to string up over my swag but this time it was useless as the little beestards just crawled thru and gave me hell all night, I look like a giant Elmo.I know you can get Midge mesh, anyone know of a supplier in Brissy that could make me up a net or is their an off the shelf product??
While where on the topic what repellent works, I had Tropical strength Aeroguard and they just bit thru it immediately after applying it??

Well mossies don't bother me but sand flies do, I got badly bitten at Noosa a few years ago. I broke out in blisters from head to toe and had to go see a doctor.

Anyway he prescribed:
Bushman's or Rid to repel the little biters.
Tea Tree oil for the infection
And vitamin B tablets to be taken for 2 weeks before you go away, and continue taking them until you get home. Vitamin B apparently oozes out of your pores in you skin and acts as a repellent.
Works well for me.

olmate
19th June 2007, 07:41 PM
Have had limted success with Rid or Bushmans. The only thing that works well up here and for a long time is a 50/50 mix (tea tree oil or eucalyptus oil) and baby oil. Messy stuff but keeps those bugs away. Get a srpay pack and cover yourself in it.;)

akelly
21st June 2007, 07:50 PM
A variation on some others that have been posted:

equal parts detol, baby oil, citronella oil.

Works a treat. DEET products are also good

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsheets/chemicals/deet.htm

not so good for fishes though, if that's your thing read this

http://www.leaflady.org/environmental_health.htm

Blknight.aus
21st June 2007, 08:01 PM
I use the Army stuff, comes in a green tube (funny that) and if you get it on your sunnies or your watch it eats them...

just a smear on the cuffs, tail and lapel of your shirt and the belt loops and ankles of your pants keeps everything away and you dont usually get any on yourself...