PDA

View Full Version : Multi login on adsl.

loanrangie
2nd May 2007, 11:08 AM
I have 2 pc's setup at home, 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs, both with their own modems. When i login with 1 the other disconnects ? how do i enable them to login at the same time ? I have logged into the modems config browsers and used the same login/ password on each.

incisor
2nd May 2007, 11:22 AM
you cant do it that way....

only one digital device can be logged in at once on a single line as a general rule

you need a modem router or modem wireless router

jik22
2nd May 2007, 11:29 AM
I have 2 pc's setup at home, 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs, both with their own modems. When i login with 1 the other disconnects ? how do i enable them to login at the same time ? I have logged into the modems config browsers and used the same login/ password on each.

You can't have two ADSL modems sharing a single ADSL/telephone line (Which I presume is what you're describing?) as each would be trying to sync to the equipment back at the exchange. I'm kind of suprised they both even sit connected to the same line without the second one causing issues to the working one......never tried to do this though. :)

The usual way to do this is to use a modem/router to connect to the ADSL line and then connect the PC's to it by ethernet, USB or wireless depending on location and what equipment/cabling you have in place.

You could use one PC and it's modem to then re-share the connection to the other (Again depending on what kit you have available) but this is far less reliable IME, needs the first PC left on for the second to connect to the Internet, and you also need cabling between the PC's rather than to/from the router, which gives you more flexibility.

Captain_Rightfoot
2nd May 2007, 11:47 AM
Have a read of this :) I'm not even going to attempt to say it better than he does :)

http://www.ozcableguy.com/broadband.html#3.1

loanrangie
2nd May 2007, 12:03 PM
you cant do it that way....

only one digital device can be logged in at once on a single line as a general rule

you need a modem router or modem wireless router

I have a wireless router/ modem in one which is upstairs so i can use the laptop, so i need to run lan cable dowstairs to run the other one ? Damn thats a pain in the a.se, i have 3 spare adsl modems i cant use :mad:

incisor
2nd May 2007, 12:04 PM
I have a wireless router/ modem in one which is upstairs so i can use the laptop, so i need to run lan cable dowstairs to run the other one ? Damn thats a pain in the a.se, i have 3 spare adsl modems i cant use :mad:
buy a wireless lan card for the one downstairs... $40 odd bucks and your done

jik22
2nd May 2007, 12:08 PM

If you have a wireless modem/router, I'm guessing this is standalone? If so, you just need this plugged into a phone socket which is hopefully near at least one PC, and then use wireless for the other one? Unless your house is big, or has internal brick walls, you should get a wireless signal that far, but it may take some playing about with the position of the router...