PDA

View Full Version : Broadband keeps shutting us down

NOZ
18th June 2007, 07:51 PM
Hi all, We are not much with pc's but here is our problem

We have been with Optus dial up for years with out to many hassles and recently change to Telstra broadband.

Now when ever I log on to say, Carsales .com the pc shuts down:eek:.

Any thoughts or questions would be appreciated

ladas
18th June 2007, 08:00 PM
Hi all, We are not much with pc's but here is our problem

We have been with Optus dial up for years with out to many hassles and recently change to Telstra broadband.

Now when ever I log on to say, Carsales .com the pc shuts down:eek:.

Any thoughts or questions would be appreciated

Is it just Carsales.com ? There maybe pop-ups that are 'crowding' you PC

Can't see broadband being the cause,

Have you run an anti virus recently ?

NOZ
18th June 2007, 08:02 PM
Not just car sales, there is no consistency. I can be on this site with out any problems but say youtube or if I try to run a video boom we are gone.

Yes we have run anti virus since the problem started

ladas
18th June 2007, 08:10 PM
Not just car sales, there is no consistency. I can be on this site with out any problems but say youtube or if I try to run a video boom we are gone.

Yes we have run anti virus since the problem started

Okay looks like it could be a graphics thingy.

How much memory do you have\
What type of video card

Have you tried reducing the resolution on you display settings.

It may be with broadband that it is 'throwing' too much information for your graphics card or memory to cope with

dmdigital
18th June 2007, 08:17 PM
What equipment are you using?
ADSL Modem + what else?
Are you using Wireless/Wireless Router?

First off if you're on a wired ADSL modem check the connectivity light doesn't change/go out. Read the modem manual and it will probably say which status light shows the DSL link up or link status. If it keeps dropping out then its either the phone line or a modem issue.

Secondly if you are using Wireless internet or even Wireless back to the modem/router check for any interference - cordless phone, mobile phone, other power supplies etc and move them away from the wireless modem and/or your PC.

Thirdly (again for wireless modem/router) is it secure? Can someone nearby see you wireless router? Again check the manual and the router's configuration.

NOZ
18th June 2007, 08:17 PM
Geez I think it a GForce2 or some thing like that, I will have a look in daylight unless there is another way of checking:angel:

NOZ
18th June 2007, 08:19 PM
Light stays on and not on wireless

dmdigital
18th June 2007, 08:21 PM
DOH just re-read first post PC shuts down

OK, could be graphis card, could be network driver, could be lots of things. Sounds more likely to be software.

What OS? Check for updates to graphics drivers and to network drivers.

Also clean out cookies, internet history and temporary files if using IE.

NOZ
18th June 2007, 08:24 PM
OS ? what is that?

NOZ
18th June 2007, 08:25 PM
Done the clean up, even change to firefox2 from IE

ladas
18th June 2007, 08:26 PM
OS ? what is that?

Operating System

NOZ
18th June 2007, 08:29 PM
Ah , as I said earlier we are not very pc friendly

dmdigital
18th June 2007, 08:30 PM
Operating System...

So is it Windows 98, XP, Vista... and IE 5, 6 or 7

OK Firefox should have same problems as IE if the issue is hardware (or hardware driver) related. My bet is its software or hardware driver (still software) related and possibly requires a patch.

NOZ
18th June 2007, 08:32 PM
Windows XP

NOZ
18th June 2007, 08:33 PM
Starting to sound like a trip to the shop

ladas
18th June 2007, 08:34 PM
Operating System...

So is it Windows 98, XP, Vista... and IE 5, 6 or 7

OK Firefox should have same problems as IE if the issue is hardware (or hardware driver) related. My bet is its software or hardware driver (still software) related and possibly requires a patch.

Yes looks that way doesn't it.

When you find out the make / model of your VGA card.......go the the manufacturers site and there should be an updated driver/patch for the card.

NOZ
18th June 2007, 08:36 PM
thanks for the help, will try this in the morning

dmdigital
18th June 2007, 08:42 PM
OK. Let's start with XP. Has it had the service packs applied? To check this right click "My computer" and select properties, under general it will tell you the exact version of XP. Need to see the letters SP2 after it.

If its not SP2 you can update it from the Microsoft site (big download and must have legit version of Windows) http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx?wt_svl=20399a&mg_id=20399b

If you already have SP2 installed then I suggest checking the Windows Updates site.

With XP go into IE and select (from memory) Tools > Windows Update.

Or from the start menu > Programs > Windows Update

This will take you to the Windows XP updates site

jik22
18th June 2007, 10:45 PM
Few things to look at:

Does it initiate a shutdown, or is it more of a crash which causes a reboot?

Did the old dial-up provider have any software on the machine for something like a modem you no longer have attached?

Is your new broadband using a USB modem (And hence have driver software loaded) or are you using a router attached by an Ethernet connection?

In case it's just a coincidence with the broadband change, have you run Microsoft update (Or does it automatically run) recently?

You can certainly go to control panel, add/remove programs and get rid of anythgin Optus branded, whcih is good practise anyway assuming you aren't keeing the dial-up as a backup.

jik22
18th June 2007, 10:50 PM

Not always - IE uses a completely different subsystem, more closely ties to Windows (HTML rendering engine for starters), and has all the ActiveX applet crap which it loads. I've seen many 3rd party IE add-ons kill it, but only rarely seen them kill the machine....but they can do this if they interact poorly with things like the GDI, or DirectX subsystems....so this always makes things like graphics and printer drivers a good port of call if there are no obvious other changes, especially if the problem doesn't show with another browser.

Stewie
18th June 2007, 11:00 PM
Might sound a bit of a coincidence but check to make sure the PC is not getting too hot. Check the cooling fan on the processor for dust and fluff and also power supply. If the processor is getting to hot then the PC will shut down periodically when it gets too hot. A bit of a fail safe to stop you cooking your PC! I've seen it happen a few times to PC's and once I've cleaned the processor fan it's all OK again.

p38arover
18th June 2007, 11:05 PM
OS ? what is that?

Operating System, e.g., MS-DOS, PC-DOS, TRSDOS, NewDOS, Windows 3.1, 95, 98, 98SE, XP, 2000, ME, Linux, Mac OS X?

I have GeForce 4 video card and it seems OK.

Ron

ladas
18th June 2007, 11:26 PM
Might sound a bit of a coincidence but check to make sure the PC is not getting too hot. Check the cooling fan on the processor for dust and fluff and also power supply. If the processor is getting to hot then the PC will shut down periodically when it gets too hot. A bit of a fail safe to stop you cooking your PC! I've seen it happen a few times to PC's and once I've cleaned the processor fan it's all OK again.

That's a valid point. and if you remove the heatsink clean of the faces of the heat sink and the CPU (very carefully) and put some more/new heat transfer paste on it.

Make sure the heat sink and the fan are nice and clean before re-fitting.

incisor
19th June 2007, 06:28 AM
how is the adsl modem connected to the pc? usb ?

check the power supply... sounds like a power thing to me ....

stevo
19th June 2007, 09:35 AM
the power causes our modem to drop out, anything under 200 volts and ours will drop out,the power here goes from 186 volts to as high as 168 volts had to buy a voltage inverter for the home theatre system to keep it at 240 volts

shinz
19th June 2007, 12:21 PM
Sounds a bit like what we had after joining up to Telstraclear's broadband service. In NZ they gave us a free modem which was a USB modem, was OK for a bit then it started dropping out our connection, generally when trying to open a new site, OK if I just stayed browsing the one site. Turned out it was something that TC new about, & they eventually gave us a new Ethernet modem router, "'cause we'd been with them for a long time....!" Since I've installed that we've had no hassles at all. I had problems both with IE & then Firefox after I changed to that to try & solve it, but to no avail until we changed modems. Hope this helps.
Steve.

djam1
19th June 2007, 01:19 PM
Right mouse click on My Computer on the desktop click Properties tab click on Advanced click on startup and recovery untick automatically restart in system failure area.
I understand that the pc is rebooting if you do this the next times the OS fails you will hopefully get a Blue Screen with white writing.
Post the results particularly the error in file name here.
This should enable us to give you clearer guidance.

loanrangie
19th June 2007, 08:12 PM
how is the adsl modem connected to the pc? usb ?

check the power supply... sounds like a power thing to me ....

Or an over loaded power board, mine tripped after the missus plugged the vac in :o

abaddonxi
19th June 2007, 09:38 PM
I'm coming in a little late in the piece, but the first thing I'd do is back up all of your critical data. Pictures, documents, mp3s, whatever.

Lots of things can turn a computer off, but not many of them are good and the first thing you want to do is back up.

Cheers
Simon