PDA

View Full Version : Help - Codan X-2 with TWO antenna jacks?

Davo
25th June 2007, 07:11 PM
I'm just setting up this thing and slowly - oh, so slowly - getting my head around HF radio. This particular model of radio has two antenna connections on the back. As the instructions say: "Warning: Where two antennas are used, ensure they are connected to the correct antenna sockets for the frequency in use." Huh?

There's only the ten channels in these radios. So maybe one antenna would be for channels 1-5, and the second antenna for 6-10, but I don't really know and I don't want to ruin any delicate, annoying electronics.

Any ideas would really be appreciated!

jik22
25th June 2007, 08:08 PM
I'm not into HF here (yet!), and not familiar with Codan's, but transceivers which can operate on multiple frequency bands (Not necessarily related to how many channels they have) can have multiple sockets for aerials.

Have you got the instructions, or are the sockets marked at all? I had a quick Google for the X2, but couldn't find a picture of the back, or an instruction book.

p38arover
25th June 2007, 08:13 PM
Which model Codan?

Ron

Davo
25th June 2007, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the responses. The Codan is an X-2, though on the back it says the model is 9105.

The two jacks are simply next to each other and marked "1" and "2". (Ooh! So helpful!) I've got all the instructions and, typicallly, they only say what I quoted in my first post.

When these radios were made, there were antennas from Codan that came with their own instructions, which I don't have. So maybe that's where the secret was. ;)

p38arover
26th June 2007, 12:05 AM
Ahh, Sorry, I thought the X-2 in the subject line related to the aerial sockets! :confused:

Ron

langy
26th June 2007, 01:10 AM
It has to do with the programming of the unit. My understanding of the 9105 is that it is programmed via a lead and pc like normal commerical sets - so when you assign different functions and frequencies to each channel, you can also select which antenna to use (That is of course if you have two antennas to use ).

Davo
26th June 2007, 11:01 AM
Yes, apparently you can programme them from a computer - if you have the software! Which I haven't tracked down yet. I did buy a $50 chip from a guy on Ebay and put that in. That gave me all the VKS-737 and some RFDS channels. I'm just waiting for the proper antenna.

Then I'd have two antennas. But I can't figure out how to use both! :bangin:

langy
26th June 2007, 07:37 PM
It will become clearer when/if you grab a programming lead and software - a rough comparison is selecting which printer to use when you have two hooked up to your pc.

If you get (have) and aerial that does VKS and RFDS - you should be able to wing it with what you have without the need to play with the eprom ( that thing you bought on ebay). You may never need a 2nd aerial.

Bushie
26th June 2007, 08:22 PM
You could try asking on this yahoo group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/codan_outback_radio/

seem pretty knowledgeable (to me at least)

Martyn

Davo
26th June 2007, 11:18 PM
You see, this is why satphones are so popular! (I don't like them, but then I have the character quirk that also makes me like Land-Rovers.)

It makes sense about programming to suit different antennas. (Of course, Codan realised that two anntennas would look much cooler than just the one that everyone else would have. That must be the reason.) I guess I'll look for some software!?

I'll have a look at what that Yahoo group has to say.

Thanks very much to everyone for your help. :)