PDA

View Full Version : new camper on the cards

Pedro_The_Swift
9th July 2007, 11:53 AM
well, maybe not NEW,, but then again---

hmm, just a few quick questions,,

if I cant go independant--

why is a 7 leaf spring set necessary????

I understand some of the bigger ones require brakes (good) so weight may get up to, what?
750-900kgs loaded?

still not sure why the need for so many leafs?
and whats the deal with the length of the leafs?

I thought the LONGER the length the more supple and better ride the trailer would get?

(remembering one of our members telling us how he designed the rear leafs on a falcon ute to have 12 inches of travel)

any suggestions on draw bar lengths?, (tow hitch to trailer axle centre)

I'd like to run D2 rims if possible,, how much drama to retrofit hubs? hmm can they have discs on the trailer? electrics are normally drums huh,,
hmmm.

anybody done this recently?
didnt Phil much around with something like this?

so many questions,, :D

100I
9th July 2007, 01:08 PM
I can offer an opinion on the drawbar - you want it to be longer from the tralier axle to the rear axle of the car than what the car's wheelbase is, geddit? I extended my box trailer while I was doing some repairs to it & it was spot on behind the little suzuki, acceptable behind the disco, but find it is still near impossible to chase with my workute.

incisor
9th July 2007, 01:38 PM
a trailer over 750 needs to be braked to be towed behind a landrover i believe.

whether you use 5 or 7 leaf spring packs depends on the mass of the trailer itself.

not much use putting a 7 pack under something that doesnt have the mass to move them :P

i use a 5 leaf independant setup on my trailer and it is a much better tow than any of the solid axle trailers i have ever had to tow...

and it has copped a bloody hiding on some trips...

seqfisho
9th July 2007, 04:17 PM
Welcome to the dark side P.T.S.:p

You can get by without independant suspension if your leaves are correctly rated for the load they will carry, ie; dont use 2000kg springs to carry only 1000kg as it will shake the crap out of the trailer and its contents, also dont worry about the number of leaves as much as they will be varying to the load and manufacturers design, if you use leaves only make sure they are a rebound design as this assists with damping performance.

The Trackabout we took through outback QLD and 1500kms of rough corrugated outback tracks had 7 leaf Alko rebound springs and it travelled every bit as well as the disco so I had no hesitation in getting the same suspension setup on our Lifestyle and it works just as well.

As Inc has said anything over 750kg must have brakes, and even if it was under that weight I would still recommend them, the 10" electric drums from Alko seem to be the standard on most trailers and certainly work well and are easy to maintain and get spares for, there is also a 12" version but a bit of overkill for the weights involved, most disc systems are hydraulic override and a bit more complex and expensive without much benefit IMHO.

You can get D2 hubs but beware it will be a pain in the ass to do, ask Redback as he had a lot of fun doing it with his camper. D1, RRC, Defender hubs are std off the shelf items.

As for drawbar length, about 1.8 to 2mt seems to be the most popular length to allow easy reversing and clearance as well as space to mount storage boxes, spare wheels, stoneguards etc

Pedro_The_Swift
9th July 2007, 04:28 PM
Thanks everyone,,

but dont go anywhere:p

this thread
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/archive/index.php/t-20681.html
seems to have most of the D2 answers,,

and yes I would like electric brakes,,

it seems the hardest part is coming up with 3 D2 rims,, how difficult can it be to get 10 holes drilled in 2 blank hubs?

sooooo--- as long as the thing HAS brakes, it should be just a matter of swapping the hubs??

seqfisho
9th July 2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks everyone,,

but dont go anywhere:p

this thread
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/archive/index.php/t-20681.html
seems to have most of the D2 answers,,

and yes I would like electric brakes,,

it seems the hardest part is coming up with 3 D2 rims,, how difficult can it be to get 10 holes drilled in 2 blank hubs?

sooooo--- as long as the thing HAS brakes, it should be just a matter of swapping the hubs??

The off road magnet in the electric drum brakes is pretty basic and works well, and it is only a matter of changing the drum with the right stud pattern, but sourcing 3 x D2 rims could be an expensive exercise.

I am sticking with 15 x 7 steel rims with 6 stud toyota hubs and 31.10R15 rubber as they are available everywhere, where as my 245/75 R16 and 16" disco rims are a lot harder to come by let alone more expensive.

seqfisho
9th July 2007, 04:57 PM
Spill the beans Pedro

what are you looking at

or do you have a short list

getting the camper was one of our best decissions

Pedro_The_Swift
9th July 2007, 05:21 PM
I'd really like a hard floor,,;)

but,,,

have around 9000 to play with,,

have looked at several hundred on the net since yesterday,, all in QLD:D:D

for one reason or another not keen on a camper that requires an extension ladder to get into bed,,

your lifestyles look OK,, there is a 2nd hand one for sale,, $15,000:eek:

Freedom are made just down the road at Tiaro,,
they look ok on the website, but again the new hardfloors are too exxy:mad:

Bytemrk
9th July 2007, 08:06 PM
A hardfloor for $9,000:angel:... you might looking at the second hand market...

I ended up buying one of these a few years back..

http://www.tambocampers.com.au/Cooper.html

Bloody awsome... a bit basic for some - but it's had it's fair share of punishment (including outback SA, Vic high country and your backdoor..Fraser) and I can't fault it. The quality of the build far excedes any other I found in that price range.

The family that own the business are great to deal with - and I'm pretty sure his up market model is made in Qld.... so he may well have an agent up there...not sure..

Cheers, Mark

awabbit6
9th July 2007, 08:37 PM
for one reason or another not keen on a camper that requires an extension ladder to get into bed,,

If that is the one on ebay, it has sold at the buy-it-now price of $15k:eek::eek:

It wasn't far from us and I had intended to go and have a look at it (not to buy at that price)

We are looking at buying a camper trailer too and are also interested in the Lifestyle ones. The build quality is excellent. We went and spoke to them last week and got them to quote on what we were looking at. Came in at just under $12k (hence the amazment at the price of the 2nd hand one). They will negotiate if you start with the base model and start adding to make it very close to the Explorer 360. What we wanted came in at $13,500 and they knocked it down to $12k without us even asking.

Give them a call - you might be surprised what you can get for $9k.

Grab their spec sheet with price list for the Explorer (http://www.lifestylecampertrailers.com.au/index.php?page=models-may-2007) and start playing with the options. I have done up a spreadsheet to make it quick if you want a copy.

Glen, you sound happy with yours. Any advice before we hand over our money??

seqfisho
10th July 2007, 09:18 AM
Give them a call - you might be surprised what you can get for $9k.

I have to agree, we priced up what we wanted and it came to $16K +, told them we had a limit of $13500 and negotiated it back to that and then changed from the 9ft tent to the 12ft and settled on $14K. Then we got some extras thrown in such as full annex floor, checkerplate battery tray etc

Glen, you sound happy with yours. Any advice before we hand over our money??

Just make sure that any provisions for future canvas work is done up front as it is next to impossible and expensive to change/modify the main tent section once it is all completed.

We had an extra door and zip added to the drawbar side of the main tent for a future drawbar side awning/ensuite area. This will allow us to have access strait from the bedroom area to a covered toilet/shower area and an extra 8 ft of covered shade area on that side of the main tent for long term camps, all we will need to do is take one half of the zip to them to attach the roof panel to and its done as the zip is already in place on the main roof and the door is already done on that side wall.

Oh and one other thing that you wont see on their website is that they have started doing an indapendant suspension system on their trailers, I think John said it was about a $1200 option when I spoke to him at the Brissy caravan show last month.

Larry
10th July 2007, 04:24 PM
I'd really like a hard floor,,;)

but,,,

have around 9000 to play with,,

have looked at several hundred on the net since yesterday,, all in QLD:D:D

Freedom are made just down the road at Tiaro,,
they look ok on the website, but again the new hardfloors are too exxy:mad:

We picked up an 2nd hand off road Ausieswag hard floor camper (Cub copy) with all the bells & wistles on ebay last November for $6500.:eek:
They are around, you might just have to keep looking.:(

Larry.

Pedro_The_Swift
10th July 2007, 04:44 PM
this is just down the road,,
so to speak,,
http://www.autotrader.com.au/iteminfo/adnumber_WB2363024370_off_68_sect_Automotive_sort_ otRZSQ0BJDZfdRZSQSellingPrice_sqt_2_srch_off+road+ camper+trailer_state_4_stpg_1_subs_Caravans%2c+Mob ile+Homes+%26+Trailers_
Its a "Freedom" and has "Cruisemaster" leaf/trailing arm suspension.

went out to the factory today and the offroad softtops were $19K. :eek:

Pedro_The_Swift
10th July 2007, 04:53 PM
They are around, you might just have to keep looking.:(

Larry.

I'm getting quite good at looking:D

its patience I'm not too flash at:angel:

incisor
10th July 2007, 06:10 PM
i can vouch for the cruisemaster... better than ANY form of solid axle i have ever experienced....

incisor
10th July 2007, 06:14 PM
thats a good price for that unit by the looks of it....

seqfisho
11th July 2007, 12:58 PM
this is just down the road,,
so to speak,,
http://www.autotrader.com.au/iteminfo/adnumber_WB2363024370_off_68_sect_Automotive_sort_ otRZSQ0BJDZfdRZSQSellingPrice_sqt_2_srch_off+road+ camper+trailer_state_4_stpg_1_subs_Caravans%2c+Mob ile+Homes+%26+Trailers_

went out to the factory today and the offroad softtops were $19K. :eek:

Looks pretty good for the price if the condition is ok and it's not too old, although it doesn't mention anything about brakes, I would be checking the weight.

Dont know why you would ever need so many 240V outlets though, I dont even have that many in my house:p

Would make a great base on the island for when the tailor are running;)

Pedro_The_Swift
11th July 2007, 01:12 PM
*sighs
I was THIS close--:(

now Mrs Pedro WANTS a hard floor.

when I mentioned the $ increase all I got was a big smile.

:eek::confused:

women!

Mick-Kelly
11th July 2007, 01:20 PM
Ohhh that is a nice looking rig, I dont understand the fuss about hard floors i actually prefer the soft floor variety. Maybe I'm a masochist :p I do still drive a disco :D

DiscoTDI
13th July 2007, 08:18 PM
Pedro,

If you decide against a hard floor, check these out

www.camelgroup.com.au (http://www.camelgroup.com.au)

I have the beachcomber which I bought in 2003. It does not have brakes and it does my family fine. You can speck up a new one for the money you are looking at.

Main question is what do you want to use it for and that will decide how much money you want to spend.

btw you dont even know they are behind the disco;)

Pedro_The_Swift
14th July 2007, 07:09 AM
its amazing how many companies there are in QLD,,,

I know of at least two in Bundy,, might go for a drive----:D

Pedro_The_Swift
14th July 2007, 08:31 AM
Does it strike anyone else as ridiculous how ALL the hard floors and All new softfloors are basically identical? operate the same, same annexes,
:o

DiscoTDI
15th July 2007, 07:03 AM
Does it strike anyone else as ridiculous how ALL the hard floors and All new softfloors are basically identical? operate the same, same annexes,
:o

More room in a soft floor;)

Pedro_The_Swift
15th July 2007, 07:05 AM
yes, yes there is.

also a 4 foot drop to the hard/soft floor;)

DiscoTDI
15th July 2007, 07:06 AM
yes, yes there is.

also a 4 foot drop to the hard/soft floor;)

Thats even better for us, we dont put in the step and the kids cant get up:D

incisor
15th July 2007, 08:00 AM
the 4 foot step you make maybe 1 or 2 times a day?

its all relative.. we have a aluminum step ladder, very light and very thin, very handy for many things apart from the climb into the tower of power.

you need to toss up between storage and useability. if storage isnt a hassle and your stopovers are fairly short or overnight a hard floor is better than a softfloor most of the time...

if you want room, and storage space softfloor kills them everytime.

my soft floor is up and ready to sleep in in under five minutes and that includes digging the ladder out of the tub.. and i have a bucket load of space to live in.

if i am staying more than overnight i put the annexes up and i have a 4.5m x 5m fully enclosed living space plus onsuite up in an hour.

you need to determine what you are going to use it for and how you are going to use it before you determine what you will buy IMHO.

feel free to come and borrow mine for a weekend camp out at bribie... that will allow you to see in real life if it is a pain or a pleasure. :P

incisor
15th July 2007, 08:12 AM
i might add that a hard floor is better if you are staying at a lot of caravan parks... some hate soft floors because of their size and also because they send their grass yellow if there for a few days....

Pedro_The_Swift
15th July 2007, 09:02 PM
the 4 foot step you make maybe 1 or 2 times a day?

its all relative.. we have a aluminum step ladder, very light and very thin, very handy for many things apart from the climb into the tower of power.

you need to toss up between storage and useability. if storage isnt a hassle and your stopovers are fairly short or overnight a hard floor is better than a softfloor most of the time...

if you want room, and storage space softfloor kills them everytime.

my soft floor is up and ready to sleep in in under five minutes and that includes digging the ladder out of the tub.. and i have a bucket load of space to live in.

if i am staying more than overnight i put the annexes up and i have a 4.5m x 5m fully enclosed living space plus onsuite up in an hour.

you need to determine what you are going to use it for and how you are going to use it before you determine what you will buy IMHO.

feel free to come and borrow mine for a weekend camp out at bribie... that will allow you to see in real life if it is a pain or a pleasure. :P

Thanks Inc,,:D

but,,

its gotta be a hard floor.
so get over it.

so I s'pose all the Landrovers I wave at now will have an extra excuse,, They dont like hard floor campers---
:angel:

Utemad
15th July 2007, 09:32 PM
There is a camper place in Tairo on the northern side of town on the RHS when heading south. Never looked at them but might be worth a look for you since they are kind of near you.

Utemad
15th July 2007, 09:38 PM
now Mrs Pedro WANTS a hard floor.

when I mentioned the $ increase all I got was a big smile.

My wife wanted a Kimberley Kamper but she didn't get it ;)

Pedro_The_Swift
16th July 2007, 05:24 AM
There is a camper place in Tairo on the northern side of town on the RHS when heading south. Never looked at them but might be worth a look for you since they are kind of near you.

yea, FREEDOM campers,,

The softfloor model is nearly 20 grand----:eek:

Grizzly_Adams
16th July 2007, 08:29 AM
so I s'pose all the Landrovers I wave at now will have an extra excuse,, They dont like hard floor campers---
:angel:

Oh I dunno, I quite like our hard floor camper...

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2007/07/300.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2007/07/301.jpg

Pedro_The_Swift
16th July 2007, 10:10 AM
whats not to like:eek:

nice combo there

incisor
16th July 2007, 11:08 AM
whats not to like:eek:
the price tag :P

they are nice it has to be said.... if i had the money i would go an ultimate but these run a very very close second....

Utemad
16th July 2007, 05:32 PM
yea, FREEDOM campers,,

The softfloor model is nearly 20 grand----:eek:

:eek::eek:

Their workshop rent must be a killer in Tairo :D

awabbit6
16th July 2007, 06:09 PM
if i had the money i would go an ultimate

Noticed someone down the road from me has bought an Ultimate camper. Looked great behind his Disco II (Pedro ....) ;);)

Must stop one day and have a chat to him.

Damn!! I just had a look at the price of an Ultimate. :eek::eek: Not cheap!

Pedro_The_Swift
16th October 2007, 09:00 AM
just to update this thread,,,

like this???

http://www.aulro.com/app/data/500/medium/aussie_swag.JPG

Redback
16th October 2007, 09:05 AM
Is it yours:confused:

Pedro_The_Swift
16th October 2007, 09:23 AM
was for the weekend;)

was an excellent test though,,,

right weight, right size, right setup,

towed it from the back of Samford, through the Gap,
along coopers camp rd, boundary and frederick then
west,,, up the Toowoomba range, then a fierce headwind all the way to Goodiwindi,,

pretty much a worse case trip,,

ended up getting 17l per hundred,,

more than happy,
the '03 manual diesel Patrol I followed out had a large car trailer and got about the same. (at one set of lights it had to sneak low range to move off,,,)

EXCELLENT camper,,, Aussie Swag.

Redback
16th October 2007, 10:36 AM
Here ya go Pete, something to consider
http://www.campertrailers.org/camper_trader121.htm

Baz.