PDA

View Full Version : tomtom South Africa

bensdive
11th July 2007, 08:24 AM
Hi we are going to South Africa in Oct and would like to know has anyone one used the tomtom maps for South Africa And how they went.
All the best Ben

loanrangie
11th July 2007, 12:42 PM
Not sue if you'll get anyone here who has, where will you be travelling in SA ?

leeds
26th September 2007, 02:57 AM
Hi Ben,
May I suggest you contact Brian on www.landroveraddict.com/smf am sure that he will only be too happy to help as he lives out in SA

Personally my experience and feedback in the UK is that TOMTOM are not reliable. Am going to get 3rd charger for TT910> Am fed up with having to reset it. On last trip it took me 36 hours to reset it!

Regards

Brendan

Grizzly_Adams
26th September 2007, 05:24 AM
Hi Ben,
May I suggest you contact Brian on www.landroveraddict.com/smf (http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf) am sure that he will only be too happy to help as he lives out in SA

Personally my experience and feedback in the UK is that TOMTOM are not reliable. Am going to get 3rd charger for TT910> Am fed up with having to reset it. On last trip it took me 36 hours to reset it!

Regards

Brendan
Just goes to show people's varying experience. I have had a TomTom Go for the psat 4 years - ever since they were first released. I've used it in most of Europe (including the Isles) and brought it back home to Australia. I love it, it's been great.

Unfortunately I have not been to Africa to be able to tell you what it's like over there :angel:

leeds
26th September 2007, 07:07 AM
Just goes to show people's varying experience. I have had a TomTom Go for the psat 4 years - ever since they were first released. I've used it in most of Europe (including the Isles) and brought it back home to Australia. I love it, it's been great.

Unfortunately I have not been to Africa to be able to tell you what it's like over there :angel:

I have used garmins and TomToms in UK, mainland Euroe and eastern Europe. They both have their strong and weak points, the weak points of the TomTom are their reliability. My personal experience is that TomToms are unreliable. Our local car spares shop who also sells sat/navs agree that Tomtoms are notorious for their unreliability.

Once I went in to get a replacment TomTom charger. Customer in front of me was having a Tom Tom sent back. Customer behind me had a faulty Tom Tom.

When it comes to navigation in SA the above is the reason wh I suggested contacting someone in SA to find out what they use

I strongly believe that GPS is for the guidance of the wise and not for the obedience of fools. Sat/navs are NOT a replacement for paper maps

Regards

Leeds

bensdive
16th November 2007, 05:30 PM
Hi
The tomtom Work Well in South Africa. It made the trip easy And stop let us get lost more than once.A 3000km trip what a great trip and great place
All the best
Ben