PDA

View Full Version : 12v Computers

101RRS
14th August 2007, 06:21 PM
I have set up my GPS on my laptop and touchscreen etc. Works great - only takes about 10min to setup and connect everything:(.

So I wouldn't mind having a permanent setup - I can install a permanent laptop for about $500 but getting a 12v computer or building one is another option.

Where can I buy parts to build a small 12v computer in NSW/ACT.

Thanks

Garry

LR V8
14th August 2007, 06:27 PM
Gary,

Don't you just need a 12v to 240v power inverter thingie ?

I've seen them on one of the ford forums... in those bling bling cars that have PS2 or XBOX's fitted...

Cheers,

Pete

George130
14th August 2007, 08:43 PM
You can use a converter but then you are going from 12-240 back to 12 volts. I never managed to find anywhere in Canberra that sold them:(

Quiggers
14th August 2007, 08:53 PM
Some laptop devices, are not 12v,

the solo battery may be split and may supply (combinations of) 19v, 17v, 12v, 5v, depending on type...

taking the easy path, and i know it sounds like a ridiculous loop, if i had to run a laptop in a car, i'd get an inverter.

for less than $100 i'd have enough 240v's to power the laptops transformer - yes i know this sounds nuts, but its the easiest way to go...

unless the laptop has a dedicated 12v connection...
then its as simple as amperes:D:D:D

GQ

Graeme
14th August 2007, 09:00 PM
My laptop uses a 15v power pack on 240v but works fine from the car battery. Its an older Toshiba for which I also have a docking station. The docking station is permanently in the car with power, GPS, monitor and USB hub already plugged-in. Just insert he laptop and go!
But I understand that more modern laptops need a few more volts.

feral
14th August 2007, 09:01 PM
No need for a converter as you can now buy 12 volt input power supply and run normal, off the shelf computer parts.

So now you can buy any small desktop, change the power supply, hook it up to your touch screen and away you go. The hard drive may take a hammering but if you are prepared to sacrifice one every couple of years and their cheap enough you could do it. Just don't have anything valuable that you want to store.

The only problem you have is where to put it all :p

jsp
14th August 2007, 09:01 PM
better off going to tricky dickies or similar and buying a DCDC converter power supply for your laptop. Make sure you get a good wattage one, I had a 60watt unit and it wasn't strong enough to run and charge the laptop (old compaq armada E500) at the same time. Prefer at least 75 or 90.

Much more energy efficient than a 240v inverter and then back to what ever the laptop runs on.

Depends though if you want 240 in the car for other things.

be careful, you will probably have to shield the 240v inverter or DCDC power supply as they might cause interference with schmick stereo's n stuff in the car.

Then again if its simply about money a 240v inverter from Kmart for $50ish is better than a DCDC PS from tandy/DSE for $100ish.

Laptops are easier to startup/shutdown. You can make a simple circuit up to power them up on ignition and simply use windows power management to shut them down / suspend after a few minutes on battery (no ignition - no DCDC/240v inverter). If you go the "12 car pc" you need to get into proper controllers to do this, again they aren't too expensive but probably adds another $75 to the project, and I have seen a few go bad and flatten the car battery even though they are meant to have a cut out at certain voltages :eek:

101RRS
15th August 2007, 12:24 AM
Thanks guys for your comments - I already run a new toshiba laptop in the car from the cars 12v supply - all works well. I can simply get a another cheap laptop second hand and install it permanently in the car and it will run off 12 volts fine.

However I do know that you can buy dedicated 12v in car computers but not sure where or how much they are. They are bulit along the lines of desktop PCs in that they have plug in components and boards rather than like a laptop with fully integrated everything. They may be nothing more than minitowers with 12v power supply that has 5v takeoffs for those bits that run off 5volts. I have also heard of people building incar computers but I am not sure whether these were old laptop components or something else.

I am not a fan of using inverters in cars when being driven - I know of at least one case of a rescue worker being electrocuted by such a car after an acident - fortunately the person was not badly hurt.

Any other thougts would be appreciated - if nothing comes up I will just look at a cheap second hand laptop and mount it permanently.

Thanks

Garry

kaa45
15th August 2007, 06:11 AM
You mean something like this:
http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/sc.8/category.101/.f
or
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1858814,00.asp
or
http://www.mgram.com.au/index.php?cPath=28&osCsid=0501e65a66c2524cef78dd3e127b244c

cockie55
15th August 2007, 08:25 AM
I am nearly finished building my system for my D1 and will post a worklog pics and parts list soon. Components have been local, US and Belgium (AM tuner are rare).

It is based upon a DC powered mini ITX size motherboard (170mm X 170 mm) running Core 2 duo mobile. 2 1/2 inch SATA HD sitting in a 5mm extruded heatsink style case that only 2 inch deep.

Features inc wireless broadband and network with exterior high gain antennas, 2 GPS mapping platforms, Analogue/digital TV, AM/FM radio, Dash mount DVD burner/multi card reader, 4 channel 360 W amp, engine management via ECU, external camera and more.

All controlled via 8 1/2 inch overhead VGA touch screen and voice recognition.

Yeah I know ....more $ in this than the D1 worth... :eek:...but worth it when you see looks of envy from >$100K RR and other owners

101RRS
15th August 2007, 12:03 PM
You mean something like this:
http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/sc.8/category.101/.f
or
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1858814,00.asp
or
http://www.mgram.com.au/index.php?cPath=28&osCsid=0501e65a66c2524cef78dd3e127b244c
Yeah - thats the sort of thing - but I am not real keen on those $$$ being asked on the .com.au site. Option b might be the goer but I will investigate further.

Thanks

101RRS
15th August 2007, 12:15 PM
I am nearly finished building my system for my D1 and will post a worklog pics and parts list soon. Components have been local, US and Belgium (AM tuner are rare).

It is based upon a DC powered mini ITX size motherboard (170mm X 170 mm) running Core 2 duo mobile. 2 1/2 inch SATA HD sitting in a 5mm extruded heatsink style case that only 2 inch deep.

Features inc wireless broadband and network with exterior high gain antennas, 2 GPS mapping platforms, Analogue/digital TV, AM/FM radio, Dash mount DVD burner/multi card reader, 4 channel 360 W amp, engine management via ECU, external camera and more.

All controlled via 8 1/2 inch overhead VGA touch screen and voice recognition.

Yeah I know ....more $ in this than the D1 worth... :eek:...but worth it when you see looks of envy from >$100K RR and other owners

Kewl - but not quite what I had in mind - but some good ideas for parts to build what I want.

Ben
15th August 2007, 12:57 PM
I am nearly finished building my system for my D1

What OS and apps are you running? Have you got a front-end controlling the apps?

cockie55
16th August 2007, 05:07 AM
What OS and apps are you running? Have you got a front-end controlling the apps?

XP and Centrafuse with front end. Centrafuse handy as it inc Destinator mapping. Second GPS application is Ozi Explorer when getting away from bitumen

incisor
16th August 2007, 06:44 AM
for what it is worth,

i can do these for $1425 inc
http://dealer.mgram.com.au/images/prodpics/1167.jpg

This 12v PC is suitable for use in cars, trucks, boats, trains, planes and many other mobile
applications that only have DC power. It is also perfect for office or home use in space critical
situations and can be powered with the included AC adapter.
The case itself measures a mere 48.5 x 234 x 175mm, due to its compact nature the case
only has room for a CF card or 2.5” IDE HD, and no CD/DVD (this can be added via USB ). A 40
pin IDE connector is included on the motherboard so a standard IDE optical drive can be used
for the initial installation.
The 12v PC packs all the features
of a standard computer into this tiny unit.
It includes onboard VGA, Sound, USB 2.0,
LAN, Serial and Parallel.
When used in conjunction with
MicroGrams 12v 8” Touch-screen LCD,
and mini keyboard, this PC can provide a
total solution for your mobile applications.
Features:
• 12v DC or 240v AC Operation
• Extremely Compact
• 1Ghz Processor
• 512Mb RAM
• 40Gb HD
• 3 x LAN 10/100 Ports
• Compact Flash, 40 pin IDE, 44 pin IDE, & SATA Onboard.
• 3 x USB 2.0 Ports (Supports boot from USB-HD & USB-CD)
• Onboard Video & Sound
• Windows XP Professional
• Mini PCI for Expansion

Specifications:
• CPU type: VIA Eden (V4)/ C7 nano BGA2 400 pin, L1/L2 128K on die
• Front Side Bus: 400/533 MHz
• MB Chipset: VIA CN700 + VIA VT8237R Plus
• Graphics: Integrated with VIA CN700 Shared system memory up to 64MB MPEGhardware
VLD Resolution up to 1600 x 1200
• Memory: 1 x DDR II SDRAM 533/400 (max. 1G )
• IDE: Ultra DMA-133/100/66 transfer protocols
• 1 x 40 pin 2.54mm, 1 x 44 pin 2.0mm
• Support Compact Flash card type II for ATA interface
• Audio: AC-Link for Audio CODEC, AC’97 2.1
• LAN: 3 x Realtek 10/100 Mbps
• IO function:
o 2 x RS232 Serial Ports
o Supports Hardware Monitor Controller
o Supports Infrared SIR and FIR
o Supports one printer port
• USB: 6 x USB 2.0
• SATA: One channel connector, SATA drive transfer rate is capable of up to 150MB/s
• Expansion interface: 1 x Mini PCI for only PCI rev: 2.2 interface
• Power: On board DC +12V convert to +3.3V/+12V/+5V for system
• Dimension: 200 x 150 mm
• Operation Temperature: 0 ~ 60°C
• Operation Humidity: 5~95% @ 60°C, non-condensing

and the 8" touch screens for $526.00 inc
http://dealer.mgram.com.au/images/prodpics/1173.jpg
Features:
• USB Connector
• 4:3 Wide Screen
• OSD Function Control
• IR Remote Control
• NTSC/PAL Auto Switching
• Dual Video Inputs
• One VGA Input
Specification:
• Display 8.0in TFT LCD
• Number Of Pixels 800 (V) x 600 (H) + 480,000 pixels
• Back Light Built in CCFT
• Drive System Active Matrix
• Resolution: 640 x 480 – 800 x 600 – 1024 x 768 for VGA
• Brightness Rating 350cd/m2
• Contrast Ratio 150
• Viewing Angle L/R: 55 T: 15 B: 35
• Power Source DC12V +/-10%
• Operation Temperature 0 to +50 degree C
• Dimensions: (L)*(H)*(D) 229x161x20mm deep (at narrowest) x 35mm deep (at widest)

kaa45
16th August 2007, 07:46 AM
Yeah Inc., but for that sort of money why wouldn't you go Laptop? Can you get your hands on 12V input ATX Power Supplies?

incisor
16th August 2007, 08:13 AM
12v input ATX PC Power Supply 300W
$289.00 inc GST

http://dealer.mgram.com.au/images/prodpics/8551.jpg

Allows a standard PC to be converted to run where there is no 240V power available. ie vehicles, boats and remote sites. Simply replace the ATX power supply in the PC with this unit and connect 12V DC from a suitable source and the PC runs as normal.

Features:
Fits standard ATX case.
W150 x D140 x H86 mm.
Input and output isolation.
Soft start function, low inrush current.
Input over voltage and under voltage protection.
Input polarity reverse protection.
Over load, over voltage, short circuit protection.
High current for main output.
FR4 glass epoxy double side circuit board, can work in an environment with high vibration.
Built-in long life ball bearing FAN.
160 Watts continous load.

kaa45
16th August 2007, 08:18 AM
Stock or special order? and postage to 3222? ;)

EchiDna
16th August 2007, 01:47 PM
inc, the only issue with that type of PS is that it doesn't have a startup/shutdown controller does it? this is important for use in a vehicle...

OPUS solutions (among others) make 320w units with controllers for about US$200 (retail) - very expensive, but also very good in that you can just turn the key when you get into or out of the car and the PS looks after the bootup process and the shut down process respectively.

cockie55
16th August 2007, 09:09 PM
Minimising power consumption and user friendly start / shut down are a must for a vehicle system.

A industrial build Motherboard with on board DC like this mini ITX from Commell is therefore a must in my mind. http://www.commell.com.tw/Product/SBC/LV-677.HTM

This multiple voltage DC DC Regulator from Carnetix is probably best on world market at the moment every concievable power issue covered inc anti thump amp start up.

http://www.carnetix.com/P2140/CNXP2140.htm

HangOver
17th August 2007, 09:06 PM
inc, the only issue with that type of PS is that it doesn't have a startup/shutdown controller does it? this is important for use in a vehicle...

cant u just turn the pc on/off manually after and start the engine and turn it off before you turn it off again?

EchiDna
18th August 2007, 12:04 AM
cant u just turn the pc on/off manually after and start the engine and turn it off before you turn it off again?

would you do that to your home PC? really not good for the system stability and hardware life...

or have you got 2 minutes to wait for the boot sequence to complete before starting to drive? and the same again to shut down when you stop?

what if you go into a shop for 5 minutes? just leave the car running with the keys in it while you duck inside??

a startup/shutdown controller takes all these problems out of the equation - just turn the key and go, then turn off the key when you stop and let the controller do it's thing

HangOver
18th August 2007, 12:34 AM
yep I suppose it would be good if your landy is your daily driver.
Mine is for weekends only I have a little PDA thats good for gazzetted roads. I dont think turning it on/off would be much of a hasle if it's for off road only.
I guess that's just my opinion and personal choice.

matbor
18th August 2007, 07:32 AM
Have seen one that if ignition is off for more than 5-10mins it will hibernate, (running off a second battery). And then one the ignition is on again it will resume.

incisor
18th August 2007, 10:15 AM
i personally would be running it directly from a feed from a battery, preferably the second one.

bad juju running it thru the ignition switch IMHO.

Nathan
18th August 2007, 11:56 AM
You can get a PC 12V power supply and mini pc components so you can leave it in your car permanantly. Check out www.MP3car.com.

Nathan