PDA

View Full Version : 1954 Steering slop

ellard
17th August 2007, 07:31 PM
Hi there all

Well I hope some-one may be able to give some pointers.

I have a 1954 (86) SWB Series I - and when at speed (well if you could call it that) it has alot of slop and tends to wander.

Before I start - is there any pointers/ideas

All the best

Wayne

JDNSW
17th August 2007, 07:57 PM
As with any Series Landrover, the most likely source of the problem is free play somewhere in the steering, and it is simply a matter of finding and rectifying these - there are so many places free play can develop that it may be the sum of a lot of small amounts of play.

in very approximate order of likeliehood :-
1. Tie rod ends - there are six of these. Replace as necessary. Same until late Series 3.

2. Swivel bearings. Series 1 had the roller bearing at the bottom and a spring loaded conical friction bearing at the top. Late Series 1 these can be replaced by Railko bushes which remained the same to the end of S3, early ones, not sure you can easily find parts.

3. Wheel bearings - adjust or replace, same until late S3, readily available.

4. Steering relay loose. Possibly broken brackets on the top of the chassis or a worn locating ring on the bottom. Relay may need replacing or repairing (refer to manual before attempting disassembly - dangerous!). Same throughout Series production with minor changes.

5. Steering arms loose on swivel housings, relay or steering box. On the swivel housings, these are located by fitted studs and the arm and/or studs may need replacing or building up. Where it is a steering arm on a spline as on the relay (see caution above) or steering box, tightening the clamp bolt may work, but ideally both the parts should be replaced. Arms (slightly different on later models but interchangeable) are readily available, even if second hand, and relay units also, as are parts for the later steering box but the early box is likely to be a problem - although a later one can be fitted (see below) .

6. Steering relay worn. Repair or replace. Caution! see manual before attempting to disassemble this as there is a high danger of serious personal injury.

6. Steering box loose. Tighten the fastenings, but note that the early ones rely on the bulkhead and this may be cracked, loose or rusted.

7. Steering box. Early steering boxes are worm and nut. Wear in these cannot be adjusted and parts or replacement boxes almost non-existent. The earliest alloy boxes are prone to cracking the housing. A later box can be fitted at the expense of authenticity. The recirculating ball box is adjustable for end play on the pitman shaft and most wearing parts are available. The same box continued to about 1967.

8. Loose U-bolts (front or rear) - tighten or replace.

9. Worn or loose shackle bushes - front or rear. Tighten or replace as indicated.

10. Broken spring leaves. Replace.

11. Chassis cracked allowing movement of spring anchorages. repair.

Hope this helps - I've probably missed something!

John

ellard
18th August 2007, 08:04 AM
Mnay thanks

Wayne

DiscoDave
18th August 2007, 09:44 AM
Wayne - sounds like you need to update your signature?
:)
I can't help with the steering issue. Fortunately mine steers very well, it's light and reasonably precise, even though the steering box leaks like a collander (as do a lot of other parts of it)!