PDA

View Full Version : D3 Non-Air Suspension Upgrades

heycharger
23rd August 2007, 04:45 PM
Hi All,

Having recently fitted an ARB winch bar (no winch yet) to my TDV6 S, it has assumed a definate nose down attitude, and the handling over even minor obsticles like speed humps, has suffered as a result.

At this stage ARB who seem to deal only in OME suspension kits, don't appear to have anything available. Therefore, my question is twofold:

1. Does anyone know of any aftermarket suspension upgrades for a D3 S with conventional suspension?

2. If yes, what setup would you recommend for a vehicle that is currently used predominatly on road with a reasonable load of gear, or off-road on mild terrain with a 4X4 camper?

Thanks in advance.

WhiteD3
23rd August 2007, 05:02 PM
HeyCharger,

How's your budget? LR's list price for the air/TR option is $3450. I know its big bucks but you get the TR as well.

Cheers.

walker
23rd August 2007, 05:07 PM
If there are no off the shelf springs available then I woudl recommend calling in at Brown Springs in Thomastown. They will custom make a set of spring for you. I have all my spring made by them and they are usually a lot cheaper than other store. You pay about $250-300 for a set of 4 springs.

BigJon
24th August 2007, 08:04 AM
One of our customers has Peddars springs in his D3, quite happy with the results.

heycharger
24th August 2007, 08:21 AM
Thanks Lads,

I might skip the LR air option, but I will definately follow up the Thommo and Pedders options and let you know how I go.

Cheers

Scouse
24th August 2007, 09:05 AM
HeyCharger,

How's your budget? LR's list price for the air/TR option is $3450. I know its big bucks but you get the TR as well.

Cheers.That's an option on the assembly line. It would be a hell of a lot more than that once the car has been made.

PCH
24th August 2007, 09:47 AM
Here's a link to the subject on the UK forum.

Pedders and King Springs have options for you.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic6922.html?highlight=king+springs

Chris

heycharger
24th August 2007, 10:53 AM
Thanks Guys,

Have contacted Pedders and it's booked in......$800 for springs, fitting and alignment which sounds ok to me given my level of mechanical ineptitude.

Aparrantly there are no shocks on the market at all for D3's as yet, so I'll persist with the factory items for now. Pedders estimated that the ride hight will only increase around 30mm from factory and suggested that this would not compromise the shocks.

I'll let you know how it turns out in a couple of weeks.

Cheers

heycharger
14th September 2007, 10:50 AM
Ok.....springs are on and I couldn't be happier (although I'm yet to go off road).

There are no more nose stands every time you pull up, there is way less body roll during both low and high speed cornering, and it feels very progressive (rather than harsh over the small stuff).

So if anyone else has an TDV6 S, I would highly recommend the Pedders springs.

Cheers,

Jeff

surfsup
21st October 2007, 12:10 PM
cheers for the info, i have just purchased a tdv6 s and keen to maybe lift it for some off road use aswell.
please keep us informed on how she andles off road ;)

DI5CO
1st February 2008, 09:43 PM
Hi all,
I know its been a while since people have been in this thread.
I am considering a 05 D3 S with coils (due to reliability & cost for repairs :eek: )or an SE with terrain response. Would probably get an extended warranty anyway! but would like to keep it long term.
Few things, how have people gone with their coil upgrades?
I am coming from a 96 D1 with OME 2" spring lift & BFG All Terrains. Would the D3 be better than the D1 off road? Departure angles, rampover etc.(hope this is not a too stupid question !!:wacko:)
How have people found the terrain resp.? any reliability issues yet?
One last question, can the V6 run on ULP or does it need PULP?

Thanks Heaps,
Dave.

WhiteD3
2nd February 2008, 07:52 AM
Hi all,
I know its been a while since people have been in this thread.
I am considering a 05 D3 S with coils (due to reliability & cost for repairs :eek: )or an SE with terrain response. Would probably get an extended warranty anyway! but would like to keep it long term.
Few things, how have people gone with their coil upgrades?
I am coming from a 96 D1 with OME 2" spring lift & BFG All Terrains. Would the D3 be better than the D1 off road? Departure angles, rampover etc.(hope this is not a too stupid question !!:wacko:)
How have people found the terrain resp.? any reliability issues yet?
One last question, can the V6 run on ULP or does it need PULP?

Thanks Heaps,
Dave.

Hi Dave.
No idea on the coil upgrades as I've got air/TR.

No offense to other model owners but in my short experience the D3 with Air/TR will leave everything else behind on any terrain. Its not just the air suspension that does the trick, its the cross linking of the suspension, traction control and the changing throttle response.

On this last point; we were out last weekend at Mt Mee and a mate of mine came along and drove while I navigated. He was very impressed with the throttle response in various TR modes as compared to his Pajaro, which he said porpoised around all over the place in low range.

The only terrain my D3 has struggled with is muddy slopes due to the standard tyres its equipped with. Otherwise, rocks, ruts, ascent/descent, gravel, sand....its awesome.

No reliability issues as yet. I've done 21k to date from new.

The V6SE runs on PULP and mine's returning 16l/100k combined cycle. It'll run on 95 octane if PULP's not available, which I've had to do a couple of times on trips.

Cheers.