PDA

View Full Version : Video Editing Help

Phil633
1st September 2007, 01:35 PM
Ok my problem is when trying to create a DVD any video that involves panning or use of the zoom becomes jerky.

I record onto mini DV tapes, and if I play back from the camara to the TV it is perfect. The video is also good once captured onto the PC. The problem arises after editing when I am about to create a DVD.

I am using Ulead Video Studio 10 Plus and believe I have all the settings correct ie MPEG 25fps Pal.

Is there anything obvious I am missing?

My PC has the following specs.

AMD 3200 64 2000Mhz
2Gb Ram
Radeon 9600 256Mb Graphics

DiscoCam
1st September 2007, 09:03 PM
Hi Phil I had a similiar problem with the output of edited video that was related to using one program to capture the video and another to edit. Finally realised the program for capture had a native codec that wasn't supported by the editor. Are you using Ulead to capture as well as edit?

Phil633
1st September 2007, 10:38 PM
Are you using Ulead to capture as well as edit?

Originally I wasn't but I have tried it also by capturing with Ulead with the same result:(

walker
1st September 2007, 11:30 PM
Have you looked to see if there is a forum or help site for the product. I use Pinnacle Studio and it has its own forum which is very helpful.

The only time I have had a similar problem to yours is after I first bought my 3CCD camera. I was getting ver jerky movements after editing and it ended up my computer was not fast enough. Apparently the 3CCD causes a lot more data to be processed (or some crap like that) and the AMD processor could not cope. I installed a new motherboard with Intel processor and it all worked fine. Unfortunatley it took me ages and a lot of frustration to work out the problem.

Rovernaut
2nd September 2007, 08:20 AM
and the AMD processor could not cope. I installed a new motherboard with Intel processor and it all worked fine. Unfortunatley it took me ages and a lot of frustration to work out the problem.

I was looking at latest Adobe Premier and it wouldn't install on my AMD sys, it required
Intel® Pentium® 4 (2GHz processor for DV; 3.4GHz processor for HDV), Intel Centrino®, Intel Xeon® (dual 2.8GHz processors for HD), or Intel Core™ Duo (or compatible) processor; SSE2-enabled processor required for AMD systems.

* is the jerkiness only when you are viewing the capture on Ulead software or when you have burnt the final copy?
I found that I got some jerky spots on preview, but the finished product was spot on.

walker
2nd September 2007, 09:17 AM
Yes, when I was looking through a foeum on video editing I noticed that a lot of people where having problems with their AMD processors.

awabbit6
2nd September 2007, 10:11 AM
Ok my problem is when trying to create a DVD any video that involves panning or use of the zoom becomes jerky.

I record onto mini DV tapes, and if I play back from the camara to the TV it is perfect. The video is also good once captured onto the PC. The problem arises after editing when I am about to create a DVD.

AMD 3200 64 2000Mhz
2Gb Ram
Radeon 9600 256Mb Graphics

Your system should be fine. I edit videos on my AMD XP3200+ system using Premiere Pro. I usually export as an AVI and then use Sonic DVDit6 to do the menus and burn to DVD. My DVDs never have any jerky motion.

Have you tried playing the DVD in a different player? Perhaps it is the player rather than the DVD. I find mine play better in our DVD player than they do on my computer.

Phil633
2nd September 2007, 10:52 AM
I love this forum:D

Ok DiscoCam was right I think. I have unistalled Ulead and deleted all video captured on my pc. I then installed Pinnacle studio 10 and used that to capture the video.

and

IT WORKS :banana:

Thanks everybody:)

Phil633
2nd September 2007, 10:55 AM
* is the jerkiness only when you are viewing the capture on Ulead software or when you have burnt the final copy?
I found that I got some jerky spots on preview, but the finished product was spot on.

That was both. I have toasted a few DVD's in sorting this out:(

But it is all good now:D

Quiggers
3rd September 2007, 08:24 AM
You need more RAM, and maybe a faster proc.

The problem is also due to compression issues - which is a compromise.

GQ

cmurray
3rd September 2007, 11:08 AM
If it's the DVD that you've made that is jerky then the bit rate is not high enough. This is a transcoding/encoding setting, and the higher the bit rate the better! A friend of mine that is right into video says you want to aim for a bit rate of at least 5000.

dullbird
3rd September 2007, 05:27 PM
You need more RAM, and maybe a faster proc.

The problem is also due to compression issues - which is a compromise.

GQ

mmmm maybe maybe not more ram is obvisously better but i up until about 3 days ago have been doing video editing on a comp that had only 512 ram and it had been doing it fine mind you that was studio 9 when i went to studio 10 which is much more power hungry and started to do much bigger files then it started to struggle......but would still do it ocasionally it would jerk on watching the un rendered footage but once rendered it was fine

DiscoCam
3rd September 2007, 08:51 PM
Glad you got it sorted Phil. I've edited video using Premier & Sony Vegas on an AMD 2100 with 512mb RAM and whilst the newer programs are definately more resource hungry, it is possible to get good results on older systems. Just means you hit the render button before going to bed and hope that it is done by the time you wake up again. Cheers Cameron