PDA

View Full Version : Vista re-activation

WhiteD3
5th September 2007, 08:11 PM
Hiya,

In a previous thread I was setting up a PC for my folks. So I thought I'd install Vista on my PC so we'd be on the same page if they had a problem.

I already had a copy of Vista which I'd purchased and installed on my HTPC, didn't like it and went back to XP MCE.

Now I can't activate Vista on this PC as MS says the key's already used (no doubt from me activating the HTPC).

Surely there's a way round this and I shouldn't have to buy an additional copy. I am only using it on one PC.

Ideas, guidance and profound insights all welcome.

Cheers,

Mark

djam1
5th September 2007, 08:15 PM
Ring Microsoft and go through the activation process
they can be suprisingly cooperative if you give them the information needed.
They will get uppity if you tell them that you have it on 2 machines or it was an OEM version etc.
But then of course you dont so just answer them honestly

MarknDeb
5th September 2007, 08:16 PM
If its anything like XP home edition you will have to ring MS for a code to be able to reactivate, MS such a wonderfull thing:wasntme:

WhiteD3
5th September 2007, 08:20 PM
Ring Microsoft and go through the activation process
they can be suprisingly cooperative if you give them the information needed.
They will get uppity if you tell them that you have it on 2 machines or it was an OEM version etc.
But then of course you dont so just answer them honestly

Well, it is the OEM version, which I did actually buy and not just acquire! :cool:
I've only got it on one machine.

Installed on the HTPC, had huge dramas, reformatted and reinstalled XP.
Then installed Vista on this PC.
So 3 PCs in the house, two on XP and one on Vista. All legal.

timaus13
5th September 2007, 08:40 PM
Call MSoft Windozzzzz on there 1800 no and get a new activation code.
Let them know u had a virus and fornatted ure hard drive.
:DI work in the industry and have to do this for corporate and sml bussiness's nearly every other month or so, some clients get this service evry 6 months as a routine re-install.':eek:
;)They are actually quite good to deal with.:D

WhiteD3
5th September 2007, 08:42 PM
Call MSoft Windozzzzz on there 1800 no and get a new activation code.
Let them know u had a virus and fornatted ure hard drive.
:DI work in the industry and have to do this for corporate and sml bussiness's nearly every other month or so, some clients get this service evry 6 months as a routine re-install.':eek:
;)They are actually quite good to deal with.:D

Thanks for that. I'll give it a go. Did a search on the subject and it looks to be a regular occurrence.

shorty943
5th September 2007, 09:34 PM
Thanks for that. I'll give it a go. Did a search on the subject and it looks to be a regular occurrence.

:D:p:twisted: You don't say.:angel:
It's well documented that Microsoft WGA actually breaks Vista activation some how, but they don't seem to be able to fix it.
And I don't think the imminent release of Vista SP1 will improve things much.

If you don't play computer games, learn to like the penguin. Linux.

MarknDeb
5th September 2007, 09:39 PM
:D:p:twisted: You don't say.:angel:
It's well documented that Microsoft WGA actually breaks Vista activation some how, but they don't seem to be able to fix it.
And I don't think the imminent release of Vista SP1 will improve things much.

Oh no not the penguin, Do you get the "POW" "BANG" "kick" "PUNCH" ballons on the screen when Batman and Robin visit :D:wasntme:

incisor
5th September 2007, 09:41 PM
to the letter of the law an OEM license is tied to the hardware it was originally sold with.

that said you can ring microsoft and activate on other hardware if you have had a hardware failure eg need new motherboard...

you ring the 1800 number displayed in the activation window when you select your region, dial, select option 2, input your code, when it fails you select option 1 then option one and they dish out another...

takes less than 2 minutes of your time...

incisor
5th September 2007, 09:47 PM
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=1646&d=1171237018

yep learn to like the penquin....

shorty943
5th September 2007, 09:57 PM
:D:D:D
BSD freak?

WhiteD3
12th September 2007, 07:37 AM
Rang them, after an hour on hold and speaking to 3 people I got reactivated.:)