PDA

View Full Version : Buying my first UHF ????

Fusion
7th September 2007, 07:14 PM
Ok this has probably come up alot .But I know every nut and bolt in my landy but when it comes to UHF's i have no clue at all . So what is a good unit to get and what sort of cash would i be looking at ? and so i can talk to someone what sort of aerial whould be a good buy ? Thanks

incisor
7th September 2007, 07:27 PM
prestige communications are a good place to get a new nicely balanced kit at a reasonable price.

if you can afford it, an icom 400 based package is a good thing...

i dont use one much so i went for a base model gme and it has served me well. it seems to get out there well.

Fusion
11th September 2007, 04:38 PM
So is the UHF an easy thing to install . Or am I better off getting the shop to fit it ? Cheers

dmdigital
11th September 2007, 05:33 PM
Installation is easy. Simplest thing is to wire it directly back to the battery. What Landy is it for? If its a Disco I'd suggest one of the GME TX3400 series with the remote head unit or with it all built in to the mic - takes up less room. For the Defender etc check out the GME TX4600 as it's IP55 rated so dust/moisture is less of an issue.

Pay a bit extra for a decent aerial.

Disco Steve
11th September 2007, 05:37 PM
I just fitted one of the Uniden duel band ones. works great and really easy to install.
cost $400 and $29 for both arials from jaycar.

kaa45
11th September 2007, 05:47 PM
I got the Uniden GPS105 UHF/GPS Combo. Very pleased with it. Although I wouldn't buy a combo again, I was trying to save money.
Better to get a UHF and leave the GPS till you can do it properly.
I now use a Laptop and GPS mouse with OziExplorer so I've got moving maps ;)
Touch screen next, then proper car puter. After I rebuild the County :o

jik22
11th September 2007, 05:55 PM
So is the UHF an easy thing to install . Or am I better off getting the shop to fit it ? Cheers

The unit itself is easier than a car stereo, as there are less wires....but, the aerial must be installed properly and in the right location for the type of aerial. However, if you buy from someone like Prestige, they will advise on what to buy based on fitting locations...

Blknight.aus
11th September 2007, 06:05 PM
FFS when you hook it up Make sure all you earth connections are 100% then spray them with a protectant ESP the antenna ones... IF you do a bullbar mount or a remote mount (one that clamps on) take the 10 minutes and run a braided earth strap or lead back to a good body earth if that means drilling a hole then giving it a scratch back to get the thing to get good contact then so be it.

I install the antenna and the cables for it first, once thats done make sure that you havent accidnetally short the active to the sheild/earth/nuetral whatever you want to call it. Check the lead with a good meter for conductivity and resistance before you install the UHF unit itself.

Fusion
11th September 2007, 07:57 PM
Ok cool , Thanks for all the info :thumbsup: