PDA

View Full Version : Oz-Tent

p38arover
17th September 2007, 08:55 PM
My wife had a look at the Oz-Tent at the Penrith 4WD & camping show on the weekend.

She thinks I should buy one for myself (she doesn't go camping). :eek:

Ron

rangieman
17th September 2007, 09:00 PM
My wife had a look at the Oz-Tent at the Penrith 4WD & camping show on the weekend.

Ron
And how long would it last for you ron before something went adrift:cool:

jik22
17th September 2007, 09:08 PM

Ron

Careful - that may be a cunning plan to dump you out in the garden next time you upset her. ;)

Disco Steve
17th September 2007, 09:33 PM
Dont fall for it Ron, she will want something for it.:wasntme:

p38arover
17th September 2007, 09:43 PM
Cynics!

Youse are all cynics! :mad:

But right, as usual! :(

:D

Ron

Captain_Rightfoot
17th September 2007, 10:44 PM
Only thing is the vids are all good showing them going up quickly. They don't show them being pegged out which you have to do. But the time you do that they aren't much if any quicker than a touring tent and they have lots of things to go wrong.

Plus, they have to be stored on a roof as they are long folded.

Still good stuff though.

p38arover
17th September 2007, 11:00 PM
We were looking at the short one that's 1.6 metres long when folded.

Ron

abaddonxi
17th September 2007, 11:17 PM
We were looking at the short one that's 1.6 metres long when folded.

Ron

That sounds like a huge tent, how many guest are you camping with?

Cheers
Simon

dungarover
23rd September 2007, 07:25 AM
I was looking at one of these down at the local BCF, good bit of kit. Just bloody expensive (the Rv3 was about $900) but at least it's proper camvas and not cheap ****.

The Touer tents are good, just don't have a verandah at the front like the Oz (plus cheaper).

Trav

p38arover
23rd September 2007, 07:59 AM
They look alright. The one we were looking at is the RV1. It really needs the side panels.

I see it could be used as a rooftop tent.

Who makes the Touer tents (or is that Tourer?) - there seems to be many brands using the Tourer Tent name? Are the ones you are talking of a similar concept to the OZTent?

Ron

p38arover
23rd September 2007, 08:00 AM
That sounds like a huge tent, how many guest are you camping with?

None - unfortunately! :(

sclarke
23rd September 2007, 10:43 AM
i looked at one, but the negative was the size folded.
They still take 5 mins to setup after you unpack it and then unfold it and then peg it down and set the poles up.

I bought a nice 3 man tent in 12oz canvas and it is free standing and takes about 2-3 mins to unpack and setup.

I got the guy who makes it to also make me an Awning for the top of it... thats the only time i had to use extra poles and ropes.

With no awning attached, it just rolls out, then you peg the corners then you slide the ridge pole in then you put the end poles in and your done.............
No need for ropes or extra pegs unless its going to be a stormy night.

Pix with awning attached
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2007/09/113.jpg
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2007/09/114.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2007/09/115.jpg

The whole thing is water proof, i tested it in my back yard for a few hours with the hose on it and it does not leak a drop.
Both ends have flywire mesh and canvas flaps on the inside are zipped so you can have them open completly or partially.

Avail from "Trailer Made Campers" 101F Cardigan Rd, Mooroolbark, Vic. 03 97251000
Open Tues to Sat

www.trailermadecampers.com.au (http://www.trailermadecampers.com.au)

This tent is not on the website, but ask the boss for his 3man canvas tent. Tell him the Landrover guy that lives around the corner sent you. He is doing a Canvas for the back of Grommet also.

Steve

p38arover
23rd September 2007, 11:27 AM
I can't see your pics at work Will check when I get home.

Currently I have a centre pole tent which is quite good. I've had it for many years.

The frame around the top is removable so it rolls up and is not the usual 1 metre square thingy when folded. No ropes are needed except for the awning.

It goes up very quickly so any replacement would need to be better or it's not worth changing.

It's biggest problems are lack of ventilation (it is a Canadian tent and the window is very small) and a very small awning (the same width as the door).

Oh, and the yellow waxed roof really attracts the flies. In summer, it gets covered with them!

Ron

Dunnie
23rd September 2007, 12:33 PM
I've got one and it works very well. If you get somewhere where the ground can't be pegged you can just lash it to the Landie or whatever to get you head down.

wmg
23rd September 2007, 07:11 PM
i've had the rv-5 (2.6m * 2.6m) for about a year now. it weighs near 20kg and when packed is 2m long so it needs to be carried on the roof. It's very well made (ripstop polyester canvas) and not much to go wrong. sure the pegging out takes time but that's about the same as any tent of similar size. i recommend you get the side and front awnings aswell (cost a bit extra) it makes the whole tent that much better. a great family tent.

Phil633
24th September 2007, 01:31 AM
I have the RV-3 and My mate the RV-1 I agree they great tents, It's just unfortunate they are so big when packed. Especially with the walls and front panel. It has still been the best tent I have ever owned.

You can see both models in the first pic of this thread.

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/showthread.php?t=42167

mittadisco
24th September 2007, 06:33 AM
The whole thing is water proof, i tested it in my back yard for a few hours with the hose on it and it does not leak a drop.
Steve

Shame on you!

p38arover
24th September 2007, 06:41 AM
Shame on you!

:D

He did it when there was plenty of water in the dams. ;)

My wife was cranky with me the other night. I put the sprinker on some replanted grass runners. But I forgot to turn it off before going to bed. Our 7000 litre rainwater tank is now 2/3 empty - it was full. Most of the water went down the drain in my yard to the stormwater. :(

Ron

p38arover
24th September 2007, 06:45 AM
I have the RV-3 and My mate the RV-1 I agree they great tents, It's just unfortunate they are so big when packed. Especially with the walls and front panel. It has still been the best tent I have ever owned.

You can see both models in the first pic of this thread.

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/showthread.php?t=42167

I'm nearly convinced - it's the money that gets me especially when I rarely get away camping.

BTW, that looks like a nice spot you visited.

Ron

Nat130
24th September 2007, 08:08 AM
We have one and its great. We use it to sleep the kids in (we are in the roof tent), it's so easy to setup.

If it isn't windy we only put a peg in each corner to keep the walls square.

In this pic it has a fly that zips on (then you need to peg that down) but it is handy to put on if you know it is going to rain.

We bought ours second hand through the paper.

Greylandy
24th September 2007, 08:53 AM
What I like about the Oztent is that it gives you options. If you want a qucik overnight stay you basically pop it up and peg it down with four pegs. Done in a couple of minutes.

For a longer stay you can setup the awning which only takes a few minutes and if you really want the five star treatment you can setup the side and front panel which gives you a second bedroom or kitchen.

I find the way it packs up is a major benefit for me. I prefer items that are long and can be tied to the roofrack. The oztent's profile on the roof looks neat and doesn't stand higher than the rack. It also takes the tent out of the cargo area which means more room for beer.

Best tent I've ever owned.

sclarke
24th September 2007, 05:31 PM
Shame on you!

Read my thread on Recycling rain water......

My car and garden get washed and watered by rain tanks...

simple really...

Fluids
12th September 2010, 07:46 PM
Resurecting and old thread ...

Purchased an RV-5 at the 4WD show and it arrived earlier this week. Didn't get a chance to put it up until today. What a ripper !! :)

The skeptical next door neighbour scoffed at my "30 secs!" comment and proceeded to time me on the first time putting it up .... _her_ smart rsdness turned to complete embarresment when she said ... "22 sec!" :p

Got the peaked side panels with it. Might get a front panel later, but we intend to attach it to one side of the Foxwing awning so may not need a front panel.

No doubt about it, as a touring quick put up tent for me, the wife, & the 10yr old its the best thing since sliced bread.

Kev..

stevo68
13th September 2010, 12:54 PM
Yep, we've had an RV5 now for 18mths with front and side peaks plus the fly. Here it is with full set up on a recent trip:

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2010/09/1268.jpg

With a roof rack then the size really isn't an issue as you can see from this pic:

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2011/01/297.jpg

Regards

Stevo

Randylandy
14th September 2010, 08:35 PM
going to buy one in a couple of weeks when I come off shift. Not sure What size to get. It is just myself and the cook. Thinking the RV4 would be the best size for us. any thoughts from those who have them?

15th September 2010, 03:50 PM
going to buy one in a couple of weeks when I come off shift. Not sure What size to get. It is just myself and the cook. Thinking the RV4 would be the best size for us. any thoughts from those who have them?

Good size 4 two, u can add other bits as u feel necessary.
Cheers Dean.

austastar
15th September 2010, 04:22 PM
Hi,
we find the RV3 ok for 2 of us, just using it for sleeping, if it was for long term camping, I would consider a bit bigger and with side bits.
cheers

pop058
15th September 2010, 05:56 PM
Hi,
we find the RV3 ok for 2 of us, just using it for sleeping, if it was for long term camping, I would consider a bit bigger and with side bits.
cheers

Have to agree with this. We (Nan & I) have an RV-3 and only use it for sleeping in. Our fold up camp bed takes up a bit of room inside, but it works well for us.

I don't always set up the awning if the camp has a "kitchen" and as Stevo said the packed shape and size is not an issue.