PDA

View Full Version : Sound systems

Rosco
20th September 2007, 07:05 AM
On our recent trip up north we encountered problems with our sound system. The CD's tended to get knocked about, even though reasonably well stored plus I reckon the system got full of dust.

Got me thinking. Is there a better solution available. I was thinking along the lines of something like storing the music on one of those USB memory sticks thingos or similar which you could just plug in to the unit. Or perhaps an incar ipod.

I've had a bit of a scout around but haven't seen anything along these lines. Anyone got any ideas, or suggestions or come across anything different??

Cheers

Rayngie
20th September 2007, 07:12 AM
If you have an AUX input on the head unit you can buy a $4 cable from the iPod direct to the unit, then you just use the Ipod..

hiline
20th September 2007, 07:34 AM
If you have an AUX input on the head unit you can buy a $4 cable from the iPod direct to the unit, then you just use the Ipod..

most of the new generation stereo heads have this function:D:D

PhilipA
20th September 2007, 08:12 AM
A USB input is better because it charges the Ipod . JVC, Sony and several "off" brands now have this feature.
I am currently trying to justify replacing my 10 stacker with a USB deck and Ipod. There is a new Nano currenly being launched..
I have 8Gigs on my laptop I tunes , but no Ipod!!!!
Regard sPhilip a

waynep
20th September 2007, 08:21 AM
My CD stacker packed up ( got a bit drowned ) so now I just use MP3 music from my Ipaq rx5965 ( which also doubles as the OziExplorer and tom tom navigator ). This is much better than the old stacker - CDs don't get damaged and I don't have to crawl under the seat to change the CDs !!

I bought an adaptor that goes into the tape cassette slot and plugs into the headphone socket on the Ipaq. You can get these adaptors from placesl ike JB Hi Fi.

Another way to do it ( if you don't have a cassette player, or a proper MP3 input socket on your CD player ), is to get an RF modulator that puts the audio through your FM stereo.

I have all the music I need for travelling on a 2MB SD card. If I need more I can just get another 2Mb ($30 )card and rip another 20 or 30 CDs on to it.

dobbo
20th September 2007, 08:30 AM
we should really have a section on the forum for car audio

solmanic
20th September 2007, 08:44 AM
iPod
iPod
iPod
iPod
iPod
iPod

waynep
20th September 2007, 08:54 AM
iPod
iPod
iPod
iPod
iPod
iPod

if you just want a music player ( and maybe file store device ) then Ipods are great ...but it can't run OziExplorer etc, or can it ?

jik22
20th September 2007, 09:39 AM
MP3 player of some description, plugged into either the aux jack of an older head unit, or front socket on the newer "ipod compatible" ones.

VladTepes
20th September 2007, 11:27 AM
we should really have a section on the forum for car audio

We could use that one - just needs a retitle to, say,

Communications, Car Audio and Electronics.

Any admins reading this ?

Utemad
20th September 2007, 11:58 AM
I use an Ipod and FM modulator.

I've got a CD player too but don't use it.

If you are going to use an Ipod for an extended trip just make sure you have a car charger too. Especially if running an FM modulator.

Phil633
20th September 2007, 02:06 PM
I use an Ipod and FM modulator.

I've got a CD player too but don't use it.

If you are going to use an Ipod for an extended trip just make sure you have a car charger too. Especially if running an FM modulator.

That's what I run too IPOD with a Griffen FM Modulator, but I am looking to replace the Radio/CD player with a unit that I can connect the IPOD too and have bluetooth for the phone.

solmanic
20th September 2007, 02:12 PM
if you just want a music player ( and maybe file store device ) then Ipods are great ...but it can't run OziExplorer etc, or can it ?

Correct, but short of a full-on laptop you won't find a device for running GPS with suffucient storage for thousands of tunes too.

Besides, the proper iPod setup in a Defender is nice and tidy. Just cable through to the cubby and leave the iPod in there. With a proper adapter you can control it on the head unit so the iPod itself stays nice and safe whilst charging.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6175/061106ipodinstall001ax8.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/9708/061106ipodinstall003yl5.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

Outlaw
20th September 2007, 02:16 PM
Okay title changed Vlad

Tote
20th September 2007, 02:31 PM
VDO make a head unit with SD card slots so you can just plug an sd card in and it fits inside the unit rather than protruding like a usb stick would. The top of the line has bluetooth as well so you can use it as a handsfree phone.
Regards,
Tote

VladTepes
20th September 2007, 03:13 PM
Okay title changed Vlad Cool.

Rosco
20th September 2007, 03:31 PM
Just did a quick Google and Pioneer + Clarion (only ones checked) have USB connectable models. This would appear to negate the need for an iPod .. true/false??

Bear in mind I know jacksh*t about all this........:wheelchair::blush:

scrambler
20th September 2007, 03:47 PM
Just did a quick Google and Pioneer + Clarion (only ones checked) have USB connectable models. This would appear to negate the need for an iPod .. true/false??

Bear in mind I know jacksh*t about all this........:wheelchair::blush:
And some lesser-known brands:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110171579743&ih=001&category=50144&ssPageName=STORE:PROMOBOX:NEWLIST

No need for an Ipod - have the Mp3 on the card and play away. Just check that you are using the right file type - e.g. my Hyundai Getz will play a CD with Windows Media Player files, but you won't find too many that play them. Ipods don't use MP3, they have their own file type, so your ITunes files may need to be saved as MP3.

Chenz
20th September 2007, 03:54 PM
most of the new generation stereo heads have this function:D:D

That's what I do as well. I have an invertor in the Fender and just plug the iPod in to recharge as we go along. 30Gig is a sh*t load of music and on shuffle mode means you can bop along for days and not hear the same track twice. Can also store photos on the trip on this as well.

I have one of those sun visor CD holders and just put it in that and run the cord behind the rear view mirror and into the stereo.

I just added another two speakers to the rear cargo barrier. That plus the two in the dash and two tweeters mounted near the sun visors makes for a great sound.

My wife was trying to work out what six speakers would be. If 4 was quadraphonic she deduced that 6 must be septasemiaphonic. Hmmmmmmmm:eek:

jik22
20th September 2007, 04:39 PM
Besides, the proper iPod setup in a Defender is nice and tidy. Just cable through to the cubby and leave the iPod in there. With a proper adapter you can control it on the head unit so the iPod itself stays nice and safe whilst charging.

That's nice and neat - is the iPod cable a special one for the head unit that also charges the iPod?

awabbit6
20th September 2007, 07:15 PM
Another way to do it is to get an RF modulator that puts the audio through your FM stereo.

I use one of these with my PDA. I've mounted the FM transmitter under the dash and wired it into power (along side my bluetooth GPS reciever) so I don't have to worry about batteries. It's a Belkin one that detects an incoming audio signal and automatically turns on the transmitter which can be set to any FM frequency.

I now run music and navigation software from my PDA. I just need a bigger SD card to store everything. They are available up to 8GB now which is more than enough for my modest music collection.;)

waynep
20th September 2007, 07:47 PM
I

I now run music and navigation software from my PDA. I just need a bigger SD card to store everything. They are available up to 8GB now which is more than enough for my modest music collection.;)

Careful though - sometimes there is a limit on the size of SD card your PDA will take ( mine will take max of 2GB )

Its no big deal - 2GB cards are real cheap these days, and IMHO if you have your music on a few cards rather than one big one ( or one big Hard Disc in the case of an Ipod ) there's less risk of losing the lot. In my setup, the PDA mounts above the dash and I can change the SD card without taking it off the mount. I have about 5 2GB SD cards now with all my maps & music on them. The SD cards store nicely in the Disco coin holder.

awabbit6
20th September 2007, 08:17 PM
Careful though - sometimes there is a limit on the size of SD card your PDA will take

Thanks for the warning. I was only going to get a 2GB one anyway. 8GB is still too expensive.

Utemad
20th September 2007, 08:32 PM
Careful though - sometimes there is a limit on the size of SD card your PDA will take ( mine will take max of 2GB )

I was going to mention that. It depends on the operating system version AFAIK.

solmanic
21st September 2007, 02:30 PM
That's nice and neat - is the iPod cable a special one for the head unit that also charges the iPod?

There is another black box between the iPod and the head unit which is inside the firewall fusebox. The iPod cable runs from there under the mat and up into the cubby.

Some head units may just take the iPod cable straight in the back - this is the long-flat iPod specific connector, NOT a regular USB cable.

LRHybrid100
24th September 2007, 07:27 PM
I have recently installed a Sony Head unit into my D110 - has both a USB and AUX input.

Been running my 4Gb Nano and 1Gb stick off it - NOW just bought a 40Gb pocket harddrive!!!

All controlled by remote control!!!

LRH

sclarke
24th September 2007, 07:36 PM
Whats a Radio?????

i have this box that makes a woefull racket that i cant hear over the road and tyre and engine noise.....