PDA

View Full Version : Hard wired in-car kit D1

Disco300Tdi
2nd October 2007, 10:56 AM
I am fitting a hard wired in car mobile phone kit into the D1.
Does anyone have a pic of where they have mounted the cradle of theirs.?

I have done a search and it came up with "0"

tombraider
2nd October 2007, 11:42 AM
When I had the D1 I screwed it through the flat surface of the centre console.

When I sold the vehicle I just replaced the rubber mat.

incisor
2nd October 2007, 11:52 AM
what he said....

loanrangie
2nd October 2007, 12:42 PM
I would have thought that the hard wired kit was dead and buried due to the bluetooth handsfree's you can get now, saves wiring headaches.

tombraider
2nd October 2007, 12:47 PM
I would have thought that the hard wired kit was dead and buried due to the bluetooth handsfree's you can get now, saves wiring headaches.

Doesnt charge the handset, nor does it allow an external antenna solution....

(Ok u can fly lead antenna and power) but gets messy...

Cradle is a great way and provides superior coverage.

loanrangie
2nd October 2007, 03:09 PM
True, unless i was on the road a lot and needed it i wouldnt bother as these days you tend to change the phone with your undies !

p38arover
2nd October 2007, 03:37 PM
True, unless i was on the road a lot and needed it i wouldnt bother as these days you tend to change the phone with your undies !

You do? I'm still using an old Nokia 6210 without Bluetooth). It doesn't even have predictive text but it fits the car kit I installed for my Nokia 6385 CDMA phone.

haggisbasher
2nd October 2007, 03:48 PM
Gav...

I made a small metal bracket and fixed the cradle onto this with some aryldite (sp). i then pushed this between the dash and the vent that you see to the RHS of the steering wheel.

if the bracket bent correctly it gives a nice movement free fit and also can be removed without leaving holes.

Sorry..i have no pics

chris

ps...daft boat is still for sale.

GrahamH
2nd October 2007, 10:05 PM
I mounted my Nokia cradle on the windscreen beside the driver-side door pillar (sometimes referred to as the A-pillar I believe). This puts it close to my line of sight (so I don't have to drop my eyes to the gear lever area to view the screen) yet off to the side of my normal line of vision - I think it's a good compromise.

The only hassle has been keeping the mount glued to the windscreen - the adhesive on the double-sided foam didn't really cut the mustard but some contact adhesive seems to have made it permanent now.

I prefer the hard-wired kit as I want an external antenna connection for the RFI CD1795 dual band (GSM/CDMA) 6.5dB antenna on the bull bar. This is robust but expensive (~$185) but works well and will be OK for NextG at some time in the (near) future - when I can find a phone with an external antenna connector.

I tucked the controller module in behind the fold down panel (fuse access cover) under the steering wheel, against the side of the centre console, and the speaker just sneaks in, in front of the transfer box knob (it makes it a bit tricky to select low range but not so hard to be a real problem).

I have a Nokia 6310i (GSM) and a Nokia 6385 (CDMA) which share the same body shape and both work in the same cradle with the one antenna. (It's a shame Nokia will never make another phone, let alone a WCDMA phone, with that same form factor.)

Hopefully the photos below give you what you're looking for.

Disco300Tdi
2nd October 2007, 10:25 PM
I mounted my Nokia cradle on the windscreen beside the driver-side door pillar (sometimes referred to as the A-pillar I believe). This puts it close to my line of sight (so I don't have to drop my eyes to the gear lever area to view the screen) yet off to the side of my normal line of vision - I think it's a good compromise.

The only hassle has been keeping the mount glued to the windscreen - the adhesive on the double-sided foam didn't really cut the mustard but some contact adhesive seems to have made it permanent now.

I prefer the hard-wired kit as I want an external antenna connection for the RFI CD1795 dual band (GSM/CDMA) 6.5dB antenna on the bull bar. This is robust but expensive (~$185) but works well and will be OK for NextG at some time in the (near) future -when I can find a phone with an external antenna connector.

I tucked the controller module in behind the fold down panel (fuse access cover) under the steering wheel, against the side of the centre console, and the speaker just sneaks in, in front of the transfer box knob (it makes it a bit tricky to select low range but not so hard to be a real problem).

I have a Nokia 6310i (GSM) and a Nokia 6385 (CDMA) which share the same body shape and both work in the same cradle with the one antenna. (It's a shame Nokia will never make another phone, let alone a WCDMA phone, with that same form factor.)

Hopefully the photos below give you what you're looking for.

Thanks Graeme
BTW, the LG TU550 has an external antenna connector which pushes into the cradle. It is only 1 of 2 that I have found that is suitable for rural areas, the other a flimsy Samsung

matbor
3rd October 2007, 06:39 AM
I use to have two phones mounted, cdma (bottom left) and gsm (top right)

http://disco.bordignons.net/images/aulro/dash.jpg

Bush65
3rd October 2007, 06:12 PM
Nokia cdma - bracket on dash between instrument panel and a-pillar.

Utemad
3rd October 2007, 06:28 PM
My Disco1 came with a Nokia phone kit for a 5110, 6110 or 6385 series phone (etc). I never used it and have pulled it all out except the microphone and antenna.

The cradle was mounted under the clock on a bracket that was bent in an L shape and screwed up under the switch blanks (cruise control button moved to LHS of instrument binnacle.

You can see the location in this pic
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2007/10/485.jpg

I pulled it out as I didn't have a phone that suited and I wanted to fit my air locker switches there.

By the way, don't fit your CB microphone like in the bottom pic. If you push it all the way into the holder it pushes the PTT button.
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2007/10/486.jpg