PDA

View Full Version : Dent in bonnet

cdrtravis
2nd November 2007, 08:21 AM
Hi

I recently had the pleasure of being loaned a new TDV6 SE overnight by the local LR dealer. A fantastic car; in fact, probably all the car I'd ever need. However, whilst driving the vehicle I noticed a dent in the bonnet on the driver's side. The dent was perhaps about a quarter of the way up the bonnet's length.

The weird bit is that the dent would only appear when you were travelling at speed, say 100kph. Once you stopped, it disappeared! When I returned the Disco to the dealer, I had a good close look at the bonnet and couldn't see any evidence of the dent. Most perplexing.

Anybody else had this? Is it because the bonnet is thin in that area, or has someone pushed the bonnet shut with the heel of their palm? If it was the latter, then I would expect to see the dent at any time. Needless to say, the salesman didn't have an answer...

barryj
2nd November 2007, 08:26 AM
Turbo sucking too hard :cool::p?

Captain_Rightfoot
2nd November 2007, 08:30 AM
Thermal expansion? :confused:

cdrtravis
2nd November 2007, 08:37 AM
Well, it seemed to depend on the amount of wind force. The faster you went, the deeper the dent became!

PCH
2nd November 2007, 10:52 AM
Never seen this before on my D3.

The bonnet is aluminium and would no like to be closed by the palms of your hands because the 2 catches need a bit of force to lock. The bonnet needs gentle pursuasion to close by "slamming" it down to ovecome the gas lifts. Well mine does otherwise one cathc will remain unlocked.

Chris

cdrtravis
2nd November 2007, 03:31 PM
Well, perhaps I didn't shut the bonnet properly after I had the vehicle overnight. The salesman did comment about the twin catches.

Anyway, I've still bought the car! :)

spudboy
2nd November 2007, 07:36 PM
He was a good salesman then!

cdrtravis
2nd November 2007, 08:03 PM
I suppose so! I never saw it on the test drive before borrowing the vehicle, and when I had it at home I opened the bonnet to show the wife. I perhaps didn't shut it properly afterwards.

bigmac
2nd November 2007, 09:27 PM
If you didn't shut it properly it would have told you on the screen, I have never noticed it on mine I and its been up to 160kh and still wanted to go, ran out of road.

spudboy
2nd November 2007, 09:37 PM
...and its been up to 160kh and still wanted to go, ran out of road.

I think you meant to say "... on a private road under controlled conditions" at the end of that sentence (else someone will tell you off for being reckless on a public road) :D

bigmac
2nd November 2007, 09:46 PM
It was on a race track

cdrtravis
7th November 2007, 09:16 PM
Drove the new D3 home today. Looked for the magic dent - no sign of it whatsoever. I reckon that when I saw it one of the bonnet catches wasn't properly engaged and some sort of turbulence thingy was going on in the engine bay. Or summink. I dunno! Just glad it's gone now! :D

garryc
28th November 2007, 07:19 PM
Drove the new D3 home today. Looked for the magic dent - no sign of it whatsoever. I reckon that when I saw it one of the bonnet catches wasn't properly engaged and some sort of turbulence thingy was going on in the engine bay. Or summink. I dunno! Just glad it's gone now! :D

Jeff, Who is the dealer in Darwin now? I have been out of there for two years but spent the three previous years there. The dealer at that time was :toilet: and all the Land Rover owners I spoke to agreed. I spent two years corresponding with LR about all the problems and unhappy customers but the response was "we are looking into it". I heard recently that someone else was now the LR agent, I hope so!

cdrtravis
28th November 2007, 08:48 PM
The LR dealer is now Darwin Mitsubishi. My Evo and the D3 came from there, and my experience has been positive on each occasion, as has the purchase of LR spares for my '97 Disco.

The only gripe I have has been the trade-in offers put before me. Derisory to say the least, but that's Darwin for you - we're a captive audience up here!