PDA

View Full Version : V*IP and Internet

abaddonxi
16th November 2007, 10:24 PM
I've got problem; I reckon V*IP should be a swear word.

I picked up a Netgear TA612V V*IP router for almost nothing a year ago. Plugged it in and found out it was locked to Engin. No worries, I'll give it a go.

A year of less-than-landline-quality phonecalls. I don't make many calls with it since the quality is so average. I make a few calls to Engin tech support with not much success. After a year I decide to give it a real go. I spend about five hours on hold and on the phone with no joy at the end.

So I tell them to take a hike. Then I call them back and say pretty-please will you unlock the router before you cut me off?

I think I've spent five days, five days, mucking about with everything I can think of. After a couple of days I got the sound quality to something that made me happy, but I'm still getting dropouts.

And now the Internet isn't working quite the way it was before, I can still get the forum, but no way Ebay.

ADSL2+ near the exchange, TA612v, DG834v2, wireless A access point, MR314 wireless B, couple of switches.

As you can imagine, rebooting everything is a bit of a pain.

Can't get Ebay on multiple computers. I've reset all routers to factory defaults, upgraded firmware, etc. Now I'm running with the V*IP router out of the loop and reset the 834 since, still no Ebay, and other sites still reluctant.

Done all the tests, which say that I should be able to run seven high quality V*IP lines from my connection.

Any suggestions? Other than throwing the damn thing out the window.

Cheers
Simon

Michael2
17th November 2007, 06:40 AM
I hate Engin. Tech support is non existent - 10 days to get a READ RECEIPT on an email, 20 days to get a reply. At best service is poor (lower volume & less fidelity). A promise of getting a tech to call back within an hour means he'll call a week after you disconnect. Then they want to charge for all the time the product didn't work..... sorry to rant on your post, but I know how you feel. Just throw it out and enjoy the peace of mind.

incisor
17th November 2007, 08:48 AM
now you know why you got it for next to nothing...
do your frustration levels a favour and go and buy a dynalink 1025w wireless modem router with decent QOS support and your woes will vanish... they even handle 2+ separate voip streams these days.

solmanic
17th November 2007, 09:32 AM
with decent QOS support and your woes will vanish

Yes, "Quality Of Service" is essential to ensure decent VOIP performace. And if possible, get your VOIP and internet through the same ISP. They will then most likely separate the VOIP and regular data traffic on their network meaning your calls go straight through them and onto the regular phone network (without bouncing around the internet) and you should get landline quality.

(I am not an expert, but I am in the process of setting a business system up here and have a mate who does this for a living - just passing on his advice).

abaddonxi
17th November 2007, 05:46 PM
First problem fixed, MTU was too high.

Cheers
Simon

shorty943
19th November 2007, 02:43 PM
Try Nodephone. That of course is tied in with Internode.
They are possibly the largest private ISP in Australia, and an Australian company.

http://www.internode.com

Quiggers
19th November 2007, 03:45 PM
Sorry Simon, yet to get to VOIP, I could really do with it here...I'm learning lots from your post:D:D:D

GQ:D

jik22
19th November 2007, 08:17 PM
VoIP is fine - been using it and selling it for years. What isn't fine is the service providers of today trying to dumb it down enough for most non-technical users to be able to install and use their offerings, or pretending it works over any IP network - it doesn't, it needs a certain quality of service (QoS).

Now, while today's broadband services will provide that most of the time, it isn't guaranteed and is "best effort". So, mostly it works, but expect some drops and some cellphone like reception. No way, IMHO, should it ever be sold as a replacement for your Telstra line! It's a brilliant way of getting a cheap extra phone number and cheap STD/International, calls, but it isn't something I'd use as my main number!

However, for cost vs. performance, I wouldn't be without it. I've had Pennytel since I've been in Aus. 8c flat rate for calls interstate and to most country's I want to dial, and an extra Perth PSTN (Normal, public telephone network) number for a $10 deposit! - I'll sacrifice some quality for that any day. :)

That said....

Don't touch Engin with a bargepole -as you found out, service sucks, tech support is non-existent except by weekly email exchange, and they blame your ISP for their issues. You can also get cheaper.

Try and get VoIP services from your existing ISP - they can't blame anyone else, and often prioritise their own traffic at least until it exists their network.

Use a decent router, and if you're not VoIP/IP savvy (i.e. If you don't understand SIP, QoS, traffic queuing, latency, and how to troubleshoot all the above) it's worth paying whatever premium and getting the router from the ISP pre-configured. It will save you headache after headache when something goes wrong.

GuyG
20th November 2007, 12:02 AM
So are these questions in relation to voip for home use or voip for small businesses?