PDA

View Full Version : Isuzu Fuel Sedimenter

D3Jon
12th December 2007, 10:58 AM
Hi all,

I had a look at the fuel sedimenter on my 110 Isuzu with a view to removing the alloy bowl and cleaning it out. I couldn't get the thing to budge by hand. Am I correct in thinking the (lower) alloy bowl simple spins on? Or is there a bolt through the top that I didn't spot? Didn't want to break it, so gave up and thought I'd ask those that know!! :D

Ta,

Jon

JDNSW
12th December 2007, 11:48 AM
Bolt from the top - while in theory you might get it off by turning the bowl, the bolt should be pulling it against the rubber gasket seal so tightly that you haven't got a hope - and even if you could, for sure the bolt would just turn without loosening.

John

Bigbjorn
12th December 2007, 05:13 PM
If it hasn't been off for a long time, and, most service organisations don't take it off, only drain it, you may need to persuade it off with a nylon or rubber hammer.

justinc
12th December 2007, 10:08 PM
Bolt through the top, 7/16" ring spanner will do it. As said, don't bother draining them, just pull them off and clean it out. Algae etc will not come out the drain hole!!:p

JC

D3Jon
14th December 2007, 09:30 AM
Thanks Fella's will have a go at it this weekend. Might see if I can pick up some spare rubber seals first though!

Jon

Bigbjorn
14th December 2007, 11:10 AM
If it hasn't been off and cleaned for some time, you will be startled by the amount of crud in it.

rar110
17th December 2007, 10:16 AM
I cleaned my sedimenter about 12 mths ago. I just took it out and cleaned it again. Here's a photo of what I found.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5789/may2007136zc0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I think I have some rust issues in my new tank.

D3Jon
19th December 2007, 09:42 AM
Just a quick update on the Sedimenter.

I whipped the sedimenter bowl off by undoing the 7/16 bolt at the top (thanks JDNSW and JusticC) I momentarily let go of the alloy bowl and it fell into the catch pan I had underneath - which I wasn't expecting!

As it was now is several pieces in a bowl full of diesel, I was unsure as to which way up the "cone" piece was fitted, but I then found this diagram in the workshop manual which cleared things up a bit (so the small part of the cone points upwards) ;)

http://www.jonmurray.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/sedimenter.JPG

Image (c) Land Rover (I hope this is ok to put this image on here?)

The bowl itself was remarkably clean with virtually nothing in it. I can only assume that it had been cleaned fairly recently. I've had the car about 4 months now and I know the previous owner had a mate who was a diesel fitter, so maybe he had been looking after it for him?

The plastic drain plug had been replaced at some time with an M8 stainless steel set screw with Allen type head. The last time I drained the sedimenter, I felt the thread "go" when I tightened the screw. So with this in mind I drilled and tapped the hole out to M10 and replaced the screw with another larger stainless steel one.

I then scrupulously cleaned out the bowl and upper assembly, re-assembled it with new rubber gaskets. Incidentally the sedimenter is the same as fitted to 200 & 300TDi engined Defenders so getting the seals was no drama.

I then moved further along the fuel line and cleaned out the small plastic strainer fitted within the banjo fitting bolt underneath the fuel pump. This was reasonably clean but seemed mainly to have trapped what looked like bits of hair! It was also quite a dark colour, so a good soak in kero and cleaning with a tooth brush saw it looking like new again.

I then changed the spin on fuel filter and bled the system. Bleeding proved somewhat difficult until I undid the drain plug from the sedimenter and let a fair old glug of diesel come out of the bottom (into the catch pan). After a good few pumps of the priming pump I was getting diesel out of the bleed screw. A quick turn of the key and the trusty Isuzu thumped into life.

So of the 2 "cleanable" fuel filters (sedimenter and fuel pump inlet strainer) I was expecting to have loads of crud to clean out, as it happens this wasn't the case but at least I now know that it's good for another few K's without drama! :D

Jon