PDA

View Full Version : Long legs in the Defender

one_iota
16th December 2007, 05:53 PM
I start this question with a confession:

I took a trip to the dealers today and had a gander at the 07 Defender.

(Went in the companyodore so that the Disco didn't get the wrong or right idea).

The thing that has put me off the Defender has been the difficulty I have in fitting my stalks between the pedals and the steering wheel.

So:

Can the drivers seat be modified to get another 50 mm adjustment to the rear?

Lotz-A-Landies
16th December 2007, 06:16 PM
The thing that has put me off the Defender has been the difficulty I have in fitting my stalks between the pedals and the steering wheel.

So:

Don't know the answer to the question, but you would think that with the 50th year of that body shape to start next month, Land Rover would have been able to solve that one problem.

Santana did it by removing the seat box, but LR hasn't picked up on that one.

Diana

Jeff
16th December 2007, 06:22 PM
Yes, you can buy Mud Rails from the UK that raise the seat and position it further back, or you could possibly make something similar. If you do a search of the forums you will see quite a bit about Mud rails.

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/general-chat/47014-mud-rails-quote-defender-seats.html

MUDSTUFF.CO.UK - MUD Seat Rails - Products - Have you got MUD? - Land Rover Solutions (http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/MUD_Seat_Rails.html)

Jeff

:rocket:

incisor
16th December 2007, 06:40 PM
they dont just raise them, hey also angle them slightly differently..

works very well...

Blknight.aus
16th December 2007, 06:50 PM
yeah you can do it, it takes about 2 hours to do a really professional looking job but I recon in a rush I could bodge it in 20 mins or so.

Bigbjorn
16th December 2007, 08:27 PM
You need two lengths of 25mm square tube and 16 pieces of 3mm plate the shape of the seat feet. Well, this is what I used on a mates County. I am going to do the same on mine. You cut the tube two inches longer, or whatever extra you wish, than the distance from front to back of the seat feet, weld two on the underside to bolt to the seat box and the other two to the top of the tube, two inches further back than the underside ones. Repeat three times. You now have seat mounts that are two inches further back and 1" higher. you need to take the angle grinder to the new tubular mounts to cut a notch to clear a rib on the seat box.

spudboy
16th December 2007, 08:47 PM
Here's a quote I got from MUD UK last month when I enquired about getting some sent to Australia:

David

One set of rails via Royal Mail would be £26.00 to ship.
Two sets = £52.00

You don't have to pay VAT on the product so the total price including shipping would be as follows
1 x Seat Rails: £60.80GBP
2 x Seat Rails: £121.60GBP

If you wish to proceed, you can call us with your credit card details, or alternatively you can pay online using www.paypal.com (http://www.paypal.com)
Send your payment to [email protected]. Paypal will automatically notify us when you've paid.

The Royal Mail service is cheaper than any of the big name couriers by a long way. Packages normally arrive in Australia within a week.

Regards

Kevin Baldwin
MUD-UK
MUDSTUFF.CO.UK - Have you got MUD? - Land Rover Solutions (http://www.mudstuff.co.uk)
Tel: +44 (0) 1422 847704

discowhite
17th December 2007, 04:21 PM
I start this question with a confession:

I took a trip to the dealers today and had a gander at the 07 Defender.

(Went in the companyodore so that the Disco didn't get the wrong or right idea).

So:

in short ,,,, yes,,,

i'll do ya a deal mahn! you buy a new defer then bring it roung my place and ill make you fit in it;)

cheers phil

one_iota
17th December 2007, 04:37 PM
in short ,,,, yes,,,

i'll do ya a deal mahn! you buy a new defer then bring it roung my place and ill make you fit in it;)

cheers phil

:eek:

They used to offer a surgical procedure for new Alfa Romeo drivers that involved transplanting a 200 mm length of the lower arms onto the legs. This made the driving ergonomics perfect.

When I get my defender I'm happy to bring it round but I'll bring my own anaesthetist.

discowhite
18th December 2007, 07:25 AM
:eek:

They used to offer a surgical procedure for new Alfa Romeo drivers that involved transplanting a 200 mm length of the lower arms onto the legs. This made the driving ergonomics perfect.

When I get my defender I'm happy to bring it round but I'll bring my own anaesthetist.

i'll help with the lid and i have glasses:D

cheers phil

Aaron
20th December 2007, 10:22 AM
Im 6'5" and I have mud rails, and it is the most comfortable car iv driven in my opinion.

MacMan
20th December 2007, 12:15 PM
I'm very much on the tall side and the 110s I have driven all had another problem - seeing under the drivers door window frame.

I would have thought going further UP would be a bad idea for tall drivers.