PDA

View Full Version : 4BD1 performance

O SEA D
17th December 2007, 10:47 AM
Is there any tricks to get the best performance out of my 4BD1 apart from fitting a turbo. I tow a large boat and it just dies on the highway whenever I start going up the slightest hill. The car is a 86 model 120 with a five speed box.

EchiDna
17th December 2007, 03:23 PM
firstly, welcome to the forum! consider an intro thread in the introductions area and please also update your location in the User CP so we know where you are :)

onto the questions...

how big is the 'large boat'?

it's either a case of you are expecting too much, or something is NQR as the 4BD1 has great pulling power, even among current models it's torque is quite aceptable and should be ok pulling up hills at 80+ km/hr.

given it has a 5 speed, could you advise what model transmission? AFAIK, the 85 model didn't have an option for the 5 speed, so you might find a previous owner has also altered transfer/diff ratios etc etc which might not suit towing...

lastly, what's the tyre size? this too could 'assist' in underperforming while towing...

rovercare
17th December 2007, 07:34 PM
Turbo:angel:

Blknight.aus
17th December 2007, 07:55 PM
make sure all the filters are micky mouse for starters and have a decent diesel mech check the timing. the pump can be tweaked a little but its not really worth it without some kind of induction assistance.

as previosly mentioned making sure all of the gearing and tyres are stock should be high on the list.

O SEA D
17th December 2007, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the help EchiDna. I think you might be on to something with the diff and gear ratios. Someone once told me that the diffs were "highway geared" or something like that. I run 235,85,16 tyres whereas when I bought the car it had 15 inch tyres and rims. The motor has only done about 10000 klms since a full rebuild so I am guessing it is not the motor.
The boat I tow is about 2 ton in weight so you would think the car should be able to handle it fairly well.
As it is though I have to drop back to 2nd gear on most hills on the highway,dropping my speed back to about 50kph.

rovercare
17th December 2007, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the help EchiDna. I think you might be on to something with the diff and gear ratios. Someone once told me that the diffs were "highway geared" or something like that. I run 235,85,16 tyres whereas when I bought the car it had 15 inch tyres and rims. The motor has only done about 10000 klms since a full rebuild so I am guessing it is not the motor.
The boat I tow is about 2 ton in weight so you would think the car should be able to handle it fairly well.
As it is though I have to drop back to 2nd gear on most hills on the highway,dropping my speed back to about 50kph.

The diff ratio's will be 3.54:1

I've driven a few and even my own is slow as a wet weak, I've had *cough*approx3.5ton*cough* on mine though and **** you know it, christ can even feel the 9x5 tandem empty

Turbo is the fix

EchiDna
17th December 2007, 09:40 PM
well I guess another thing is how fast/far do you want to tow the boat? if it's 20km once a week, then shouldn't be a huge deal to have to gear down for hills, but 200km once a month is a whole 'nother story... a 4BD1 powered 110 should pull 2 tonne of boat quite well, so second gear on hills @ 50km/hr would mean it's working at the very high end of the rev range!

how does it go offroad climbing hills? as good as others? if not, as Dave said it could be filters, timing, fuel... lotsa stuff... I'd do a complete filter swap as a first step (including the sedimeter - might have been missed since new:))... timing might not have been put back right since the re-build too...

those tyres are not extremely big, I'd have thought they would be fine in terms of reduced performance, but if you really want it as a tow vehicle, factory sized 31's are the go!

Bearman
8th February 2008, 06:29 PM
Hi mate, I know this is a bit late but just thought you might like to hear my input into this one.I have run a 1986 Isuzu 110 for about 15 yrs now and wouldnt be without it. Without a turbo they are slow on the hills. They are like an elephant-slow but strong. I also run 235/85r16 tyres on mine with 130 rims ( bit wider at 6.5in) and these make no difference to the gearing-they are the same height as 7.50r16. I have a turbo motor and tow a 3.5tonne Sharkcat to the boatramp every couple of months.Even with the turbo its a bit slow towing the boat but I can live with that.Where the Isuzu really shines is off road especially in low range-there is nothing that comes near to it.Best thing I can suggest is fit a turbo to it-might cost a few grand but you will be impressed with the difference-even feel confident overtaking.Regards....Brian

dobbo
9th February 2008, 07:18 AM
Only recently got mine (85 model 4 speed) but I am very impressed with the performance. Admitedly it isn't a TD5 speed wise but then again the TD5 isn't a 4BD1 in bottom end torque. Still learning to drive mine properly but feel comfy cruising at 90 - 100 kph unloaded on the freeway (need new shocks and springs) I'm dropping to 80 up hills, one even 60kph, again I'm only starting off at 90 - 100kph. I never got as low as 2nd gear on freeway hill climbs though. Offroad it's a monster, I was only stopped by my tyres lack of traction. 1st gear LR the GPS read 0.4kph at idle, (who needs Hill descent control or anti stall features? I have yet to stall it and haven't driven a manual regularly in years never before in real off road situations) up on the beach the first steep dune I hit I was in 3rd, revs bottomed out, dropped to 2nd , again the revs died, I dropped to 1st thinking I was about to get bogged, again the revs died to idle yet the car just kept climbing, slowly and steadily it climbed the dune, I could not do that in my TD5 disco. Keeping up with other cars on the beach the gearing was an issue but once I managed to get it into 3rd and even 4th idling over the beach it was awesome. Bumpy, very bumpy we were only stopped by my youngest chucking up (again suspension issues)

Overall I am very, very impressed with it.

Dougal
9th February 2008, 08:59 AM
With my 4BD1T in a rangie (2.3t empty) I can just be passed on hills by a new commonrail hilux.

Those hilux's have 130kw and are half a ton lighter.
I haven't finished yet.:)

justinc
9th February 2008, 10:50 AM
As Matt/ Rovercare says, Turboing will fix it. I drive a few N/A 120's and 110's, and yours sounds about normal. I turboed and intercooled mine in a RR, will pull hills in top gear (4 spd) faster and easier than a manual 3.9 V8 D1 now, and use half the fuel doing it.And I have 33" tyres.:D Best thing to do to a 4BD1.

JC

87County
9th February 2008, 02:43 PM
fwiw, my most recent and noticeable improvement in power/performance and economy came from fitting a new zu 82deg thermostat (as recommended by earlier threads)

engine had been running way too cool

don't fit it without a new gasket however

KhunMoo
9th February 2008, 05:52 PM
Gidday mate, I've had some experience wringing the best out of my 4BD1 dragging things heavy. I dragged a tandem trailer (all up about 3 tons) from Derby, WA to Alice Springs (2600km on the bitumen). The fuel system was "OK" with no known probs. Poured black smoke for the first 1500km then gradually cleaned up and picked up a bit of power after a few days of flat chat slogging. 2nd gear at 50-60kph on big hills. Lack of cogs in my 4 speed is the main issue (6 would be nice). Only mod I have is a 2 1/2 inch straight through exhaust.

Other things I have found; don't miss the filter inside the delivery pump inlet banjo connection.

The real eye opener was the overflow valve on the top of the fuel filter. After 23yrs use, this valve's seat wears down to only about 1mm thick (about 4mm new). This lengthens the spring and reduces the fuel pressure to the IP (not good). I put a new one in (Isuzu gen. part from Don Kyatt for $29) and the difference was immediate, especially hill climbing. Hills that required a down change can no be made in the higher gear. Best $29 I ever spent on mine!

My preferred mod for more grunt is to fit a diesel gas system (even the most basic type). Easy to do and the govt gives you a subsidy. Adding a turbo is complex and expensive, albeit with a good result.

The 4BD1 is awesome off road, but it a slogger on the highway with heavy loads... not a speedster.

Check your fuel filter overflow valve as it actually determines the fuel pressue feed to the IP.

JohnS
(KhunMoo)

Dougal
9th February 2008, 06:36 PM
My preferred mod for more grunt is to fit a diesel gas system (even the most basic type). Easy to do and the govt gives you a subsidy. Adding a turbo is complex and expensive, albeit with a good result.

Along with the downsides of diesel-gas (detonation etc) on a NA engine it displaces much needed air (incl oxygen).
The combo of more fuel and less air means you'll be in danger of melting pistons.

A turbo actually makes your engine run both cooler and more effiiently, reducing EGT's as it improves power.

yt110
20th February 2008, 07:53 PM
I too have an 86 5 speed I changed the transfer ratio from .996 to 1.23 ratio from a disco box. It has made a lot of difference on hills etc. 1st gear high is lower for better up hill starts and reduces the gap between 4th or 5th low and 1st high is much better for driving bush tracks. At a nice steady pace I found 4th low to slow but 1st high was ok but a bit of a creek or something I had to drop back to low again but now 2nd high is about like the old 1st.Highway still cruise at 90/100 all day. Hope this helps Jim.

1103.9TDI
20th February 2008, 10:59 PM
With my 4BD1T in a rangie (2.3t empty) I can just be passed on hills by a new commonrail hilux.

Those hilux's have 130kw and are half a ton lighter.

These things don't have the run on me all the time, even when fully laden in the County I'll run past them up-hill!, mostly they look heavy, but we're 4 ton plus with all the gear!.......no way they'd be anywhere near that!.......their wheels would fall off!:D.

1103.9TDI
20th February 2008, 11:13 PM
On improving the performance of a 4BD1, you could try a 3 inch raised air intake, using a 'ram' type head and smooth pipe all the way to the filter housing, to force air through. Also a 3 inch exhaust, with limited muffling would help.

Anything else is going to cost a bit more, like polishing up the inlet manifold and internals, fitting extractors, viscous fan, and/or blue print/balance the engine.

.......have you tried folding the mirrors back and treating the Rover to a good coat of wax?:D.

Dougal
21st February 2008, 06:12 AM
I too have an 86 5 speed I changed the transfer ratio from .996 to 1.23 ratio from a disco box. It has made a lot of difference on hills etc. 1st gear high is lower for better up hill starts and reduces the gap between 4th or 5th low and 1st high is much better for driving bush tracks. At a nice steady pace I found 4th low to slow but 1st high was ok but a bit of a creek or something I had to drop back to low again but now 2nd high is about like the old 1st.Highway still cruise at 90/100 all day. Hope this helps Jim.

What vehicle is this in and what is your resulting rpm at 100km/h?

I went the other way in my rangerover, from 1.22:1 to 1.003:1. I saved some fuel doing it and cut noise in a huge way. Was 2500rpm at 100km/h, now 2000rpm.

Of course mine is turbo'd and shifts it's 2.3T very well. Squeals wheels in second on dry tarmac.

Dougal
21st February 2008, 06:14 AM
On improving the performance of a 4BD1, you could try a 3 inch raised air intake, using a 'ram' type head and smooth pipe all the way to the filter housing, to force air through. Also a 3 inch exhaust, with limited muffling would help.

Anything else is going to cost a bit more, like polishing up the inlet manifold and internals, fitting extractors, viscous fan, and/or blue print/balance the engine.

.......have you tried folding the mirrors back and treating the Rover to a good coat of wax?:D.

Or just turn the max fuel screw.:angel:
Of course you don't want to do this without an EGT gauge and preferably a turbo.

Using my fixed dyno (man made concrete viaduct with a known slope) I know I've got 75kw (100hp) at the wheels at 2000rpm.
Factor in a drivetrain loss of 25% and that gives me torque of 460Nm (this is at 1000m altitude).
Drivetrain loss of 30% gives engine torque of 497Nm

If the drivetrain loss is greater, then the engine torque is greater.
Can't wait to get the intercooler on, but I think the 24sp axles are a higher priority.

wovenrovings
21st February 2008, 08:30 AM
I was pulling a other county on a trailer with mine so all up with it and the load in mine I would have been shifting about 5.3 tonne. It would hold 75 - 80 up the hills between gladstone and rockhampton in 3rd (4 speed). Not steep hills but about normal for a highway.
However having bought a county once that had only been used around town for a long time on the 400k drive home after picking it up (with roofrack into a head wind) the performance increase noticeable. Went from barely pulling 100 to be able to get 115. Also being a big slow diesel you have to change gear in advance, if you change when the revs are dropping odds are you are too late as it won't pick up. At least with the 5 speed 2nd and 3rd are closer together. Also standard a 5 speed will do 100 in 3rd with out exceeding max revs. Hope this helps.

WR.

yt110
21st February 2008, 06:46 PM
What vehicle is this in and what is your resulting rpm at 100km/h?

I went the other way in my rangerover, from 1.22:1 to 1.003:1. I saved some fuel doing it and cut noise in a huge way. Was 2500rpm at 100km/h, now 2000rpm.

Of course mine is turbo'd and shifts it's 2.3T very well. Squeals wheels in second on dry tarmac.
Hi my vehicle is an 86 county no turbo but a 2 1/2" exhaust,3" raised air intake and a hyclone.I have 235/85 muddies on disco rims,I don't know what revs it doing as said by wovenrovings it would do 100kph in 3rd (down hill) now its in 4th and pulls very well,5th is just good cruising.I have not noted any change in fuel useage.All up loaded incl. camper trailer 4 tonne home(adelaide hills) to cape york and return 12L/100km ok me thinks. Jim

Dougal
22nd February 2008, 05:49 AM
Hi my vehicle is an 86 county no turbo but a 2 1/2" exhaust,3" raised air intake and a hyclone.I have 235/85 muddies on disco rims,I don't know what revs it doing as said by wovenrovings it would do 100kph in 3rd (down hill) now its in 4th and pulls very well,5th is just good cruising.I have not noted any change in fuel useage.All up loaded incl. camper trailer 4 tonne home(adelaide hills) to cape york and return 12L/100km ok me thinks. Jim

So that's the LT85 gearbox?
I'm running an Isuzu box, the ratios are very different and my rangie tyres are 225/75/16
With the old 1.22:1 transfer 3rd gear would topout around 60km/h, now it's over 80km/h but nowhere near 100.
4th gear should give me 135km/h and 5th 175km/h.
Averaging 10km/h in a rangie that's a bit more slippery shaped than a county.

yt110
22nd February 2008, 04:06 PM
So that's the LT85 gearbox?
I'm running an Isuzu box, the ratios are very different and my rangie tyres are 225/75/16
With the old 1.22:1 transfer 3rd gear would topout around 60km/h, now it's over 80km/h but nowhere near 100.
4th gear should give me 135km/h and 5th 175km/h.
Averaging 10km/h in a rangie that's a bit more slippery shaped than a county.

Yes its the LT85 box In some books I have it shows .996 ratios as in some 4 speeds,others show 1.222 ratio,the engine output shows 66kW in some and 72kW in others withturbo its 86kW so who knows what bits are used.But I found that loaded (as mine always is) I didn't have the power to run .996 Turbo was an option but I felt 1st high was still too high in the 5speed. As the main use of my landy is off roading how fast it is on road isn't that important, hence the ratio change,this may not suit everybody but in my case it made a very good 4x4 even better.

isuzurover
22nd February 2008, 04:12 PM
... and a hyclone.

:Rolling:

Would Sir be interested in a fuel catalyst as well??? Blinker fluid? A muffler bearing? Or perhaps some snake oil?

sorry - couldn't resist.

Dougal
22nd February 2008, 04:36 PM
Here's the official power/torque for what I think is a truck based 4BD1.

yt110
22nd February 2008, 05:42 PM
:Rolling:

Would Sir be interested in a fuel catalyst as well??? Blinker fluid? A muffler bearing? Or perhaps some snake oil?

sorry - couldn't resist.

Blinker fluid ? it that the new lot for L.E.D.'s?

def-90
22nd February 2008, 07:03 PM
100k's/hr in 3rd:o:o by geese, i'm sitting at 2250rpm on 35's with my 5speed (LT77) and she is screeming! i'd be lucky to get to 60 in third!! hmm i suppose you've got airconditioning too:p

Dougal
22nd February 2008, 07:33 PM
100k's/hr in 3rd:o:o by geese, i'm sitting at 2250rpm on 35's with my 5speed (LT77) and she is screeming! i'd be lucky to get to 60 in third!! hmm i suppose you've got airconditioning too:p

You've got an Isuzu mated to an LT77?:eek:

EchiDna
22nd February 2008, 07:36 PM
...............4th gear should give me 135km/h and 5th 175km/h......

*cough* I'd be scared at those speeds in a nice new defender with perfect suspension etc... my county, 110km/h is about as fast as I feel comfortable with - not to mention driving in Victoria and doing 150km/h is ever so slightly frowned upon! :eek:

Dougal
22nd February 2008, 07:48 PM
*cough* I'd be scared at those speeds in a nice new defender with perfect suspension etc... my county, 110km/h is about as fast as I feel comfortable with - not to mention driving in Victoria and doing 150km/h is ever so slightly frowned upon! :eek:

I haven't tested those speeds, they're from my gear ratio spreadsheet.:)

def-90
3rd March 2008, 06:27 AM
You've got an Isuzu mated to an LT77?:eek:

thats how it was when i bought her, 3 years later and its still holding on, not a daily driver though, just a play truck.:twisted:

Dougal
3rd March 2008, 07:02 AM
Someone makes an aftermarket gearbox which drops in place of an R380.
Can't find it now but it was linked up on Pirate a while ago.

Bush65
3rd March 2008, 11:50 AM
Someone makes an aftermarket gearbox which drops in place of an R380.
Can't find it now but it was linked up on Pirate a while ago.
Possibly Milner? If not probably one of the other UK offroad racing companies.

wovenrovings
3rd March 2008, 12:57 PM
Dougal, any chance of a slightly higher res version of the 4bd1 power curve.

Cheers,
WR.

Dougal
3rd March 2008, 01:21 PM
Dougal, any chance of a slightly higher res version of the 4bd1 power curve.

Cheers,
WR.

Sure. PM me your email address.

Killa
27th March 2008, 11:39 AM
That torque curve is incredibly impressive...I see why everyone has been saying this Isuzu is unbeatable off-road...I want one!!!

isuzurover
27th March 2008, 11:56 AM

Chuck and I discussed top speeds once (he had tested his...), so I went and did the same (late one night on the highway).

If I remember correctly, my county (4BD1/LT85/LT230(1.003:1) with 235s) hit the Governor at 90km/h in 3rd and I think 130 in 4th. Mine has always revved fairly smoothly though - some get a bit harsh up the top end.

rovercare
27th March 2008, 12:01 PM
Chuck and I discussed top speeds once (he had tested his...), so I went and did the same (late one night on the highway).

If I remember correctly, my county (4BD1/LT85/LT230(1.003:1) with 235s) hit the Governor at 90km/h in 3rd and I think 130 in 4th. Mine has always revved fairly smoothly though - some get a bit harsh up the top end.

I rev mine to the governor, 2nd-3rd and 3rd-4th most times its driven, once its warm:eek::angel:

Can't hit the fuel governor in top, WAAAyyyy to slow for that (LT95 and 32's):(

Have to give it a birfday some time soon, NEED that turbo and extra cab:o

wovenrovings
27th March 2008, 12:15 PM
Ok well i think the county i had that could do 100km/h in 3rd had 1:0.996 gearing in the transfer case and a LT85. It also still had the lock wire on the max speed screw so the governed speed was still right.
It was a bloke that test drove it when i was selling it that did that, I never explored to top end that much myself as it isn't the best part of the isuzu power curve.

isuzurover
27th March 2008, 12:40 PM
Ok well i think the county i had that could do 100km/h in 3rd had 1:0.996 gearing in the transfer case and a LT85. It also still had the lock wire on the max speed screw so the governed speed was still right.
It was a bloke that test drove it when i was selling it that did that, I never explored to top end that much myself as it isn't the best part of the isuzu power curve.

LT95 or LT85 (5 speed)? LT85 means it had the LT230 T-case, for which 0.996 isn't an available ratio.

Justin - yep I need to give mine a birthday too ;)

wovenrovings
27th March 2008, 12:44 PM
Oh ok, i have confused myself then. Will have a look in the book later and work out what is going on. All I know was it did and i wasn't very pleased with the fella for trying.

Dougal
27th March 2008, 01:59 PM
That torque curve is incredibly impressive...I see why everyone has been saying this Isuzu is unbeatable off-road...I want one!!!

Now take that graph and stretch the torque curve up to the 500Nm line.:twisted:

rovercare
27th March 2008, 02:10 PM
never explored to top end that much myself as it isn't the best part of the isuzu power curve.

Petty right, mine gets ringed 1. to get the next gearchange, 2. cause it was half glazed and blue smokey, with blowby, seems to have improved a fair bit after 14,oookays of towing and flogging:)

Bigbjorn
27th March 2008, 02:19 PM
LT95 or LT85 (5 speed)? LT85 means it had the LT230 T-case, for which 0.996 isn't an available ratio.

Justin - yep I need to give mine a birthday too ;)

Read the owners handbook. 0.996:1 is what it says for the Aust. production 3.9 Izuzu with LT85 five speed.

Mine does 100kmh @ 2000rpm in high fifth, 110 @ 2200, 120 @ 2400, and tops out at 130kmh in high fifth.

isuzurover
27th March 2008, 07:05 PM
Read the owners handbook. 0.996:1 is what it says for the Aust. production 3.9 Izuzu with LT85 five speed.

Maybe you should.

Don't know which handbook you have, but mine (PN TP1107 B ) says:
On Page 26:

LT95 0.996:1 LR230T 1.003:1

Afaik there was no ratio taller than 1.003:1 available for the LT230 anywhere (or LR230 for that matter ;) )

yt110
27th March 2008, 07:40 PM
Maybe you should.

Don't know which handbook you have, but mine (PN TP1107 B) says:
On Page 26:

LT95 0.996:1 LR230T 1.003:1

Afaik there was no ratio taller than 1.003:1 available for the LT230 anywhere (or LR230 for that matter ;) )

Thats funny my handbook(PN TP1107)says on page 26 RUNNING REQUIREMENTS

Ben what gearbox and ratio does your county have? My listings suggest 1.222:1 Mine ('86) had LT85/230T with 0.996:1 which I changed.
Jim.

isuzurover
27th March 2008, 10:46 PM
Thats funny my handbook(PN TP1107)says on page 26 RUNNING REQUIREMENTS

Ben what gearbox and ratio does your county have? My listings suggest 1.222:1 Mine ('86) had LT85/230T with 0.996:1 which I changed.
Jim.

The PN of my handbook is actually TP1107 B - the B didn't show before because I had a ")" next to it.

My county is an '87 model with LT85/LT230T and 1.003:1 high range. Did you count the teeth on your gear, or are you just going from what is in the handbook. This is the first time I have heard of a 0.996:1 ratio for the LT230, so I strongly suspect it is a misprint (just as they have LR230T instead of LT).

The LT95 has the high range ratios:
0.996:1
1.113:1
1.174:1
1.336:1

The LT230 has:
1.003:1
1.192:1
1.222:1
1.410:1
1.667:1

The interesting thing to note is that NONE of these ratios correspond - so therefore I cannot see how the LT230 could also have a 0.996:1 ratio - but am happy to be proven wrong.

EDIT - on the subject of misprints in the handbook - on page 27 of mine it says TR230T !!! (everywhere else LR230T)

Dougal
28th March 2008, 05:46 AM
EDIT - on the subject of misprints in the handbook - on page 27 of mine it says TR230T !!! (everywhere else LR230T)

Shouldn't that be LT230R?

I have the LT230R in my rangie (taken from a rangie with the TF727 3sp auto). It's the 1.003:1

Bush65
28th March 2008, 06:21 AM
It should be LT230. The 'LT' is derived from Leyland Transmission.

Bigbjorn
28th March 2008, 08:53 AM
Sorry, I was looking at the wrong line. Australian Supplement no. TP1107B on pages 26-27 shows following transfer ratios:-

3.9D LT95 0.996:1
3.321:1

3.9D LR230T 1.003:1
3.198:1

V8P LT95 1.336:1
3.321:1

LR230T 1.410:1
3.319:1

One wonders which direction they worked out the ratio as 1.003 is the repricrocal of 0.996 (1.004-0.997).

Dougal
28th March 2008, 09:30 AM
I thought all LT230's had the same low ratio. can anyone confirm that?

isuzurover
28th March 2008, 10:57 AM
Dougal, I am 99.9% sure that all counties with 3.9D/LT85/LT230 had 1.003:1 high range.

One wonders which direction they worked out the ratio as 1.003 is the repricrocal of 0.996 (1.004-0.997).

No worries. Not quite sure what you mean about "which way they worked out the ratios". AFAIK the tooth counts are:

Input 26 Intermediate in/out 41/45 high range 26

The 26/41 is the same for all t-cases. Someone did tell me once that there were two different 1.003:1 ratios (tooth counts), but NFI if that is true...

anyway, 1.003 was an already existing ratio for TF727 rangies. Just as the 0.996 LT230 ratio already existed for high compression 4-speed rangies. I very much doubt there would have been a special, extra ratio made for the county that was only 0.7% different from an existing ratio.

1103.9TDI
29th March 2008, 07:15 PM
Petty right, mine gets ringed 1. to get the next gearchange, 2. cause it was half glazed and blue smokey, with blowby, seems to have improved a fair bit after 14,oookays of towing and flogging

Why do you think he calls himself 'ROVERCARE' for C'ssake!!!.

rovercare
30th March 2008, 08:11 PM

Because I've built more Rovers than you've owned;)

EDIT:

Oh and there is 2 ways to fix a glazed diesel, 1. pull it down and hone the bores, 2. load crap out of it and flog it

Which option you think I've chosen?:p

Oh and while we're on it, If I lunch a legendary Isuzu, especially when I boost and fuel **** out of it, I'll just rebuild it and continue on

Lets just say, I'm conducting a 4BD1 endurance test.....................................the hard way

Vern
30th March 2008, 09:34 PM
Because I've built more Rovers than you've owned;)

EDIT:

Oh and there is 2 ways to fix a glazed diesel, 1. pull it down and hone the bores, 2. load crap out of it and flog it

Which option you think I've chosen?:p

Oh and while we're on it, If I lunch a legendary Isuzu, especially when I boost and fuel **** out of it, I'll just rebuild it and continue on

Lets just say, I'm conducting a 4BD1 endurance test.....................................the hard way
And when will this be happening? :DJust curious to see your results:)

rovercare
31st March 2008, 09:20 AM
And when will this be happening? :DJust curious to see your results:)

Last year, not long after I bought it:(

It seems to stay on the back of the list, just got back from Round 1 Engel and there is alot of work to be done on mates car, now they're keen to go to Round 2 in Cooma

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2008/06/613.jpg

Vern
31st March 2008, 03:34 PM
Last year, not long after I bought it:(

It seems to stay on the back of the list, just got back from Round 1 Engel and there is alot of work to be done on mates car, now they're keen to go to Round 2 in Cooma

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2008/06/613.jpgNeed any bits?:D

Asking about your 4db1 because the other day when i was following you it didn't seem to go to bad for a non turbo, yes i could have caught you quite easily in the disco but i drive very sedately with the family in the car. I just think with the turbo, intercooler and pump mods they'd go quite well, so what i'm trying to say is hurry up and do it so i can take it for a spin:p

rovercare
23rd April 2008, 06:18 PM

That reminds me, I must apologise to JC for reaching the fuel governor on his 4BD1 when I got a spin the other day:angel:

I really gotta get my turbo and intercooler on now after driving that:D

Vern
23rd April 2008, 06:27 PM
Ah so you liked it a little then;)

rovercare
23rd April 2008, 06:35 PM
Ah so you liked it a little then;)

I liked it alot more, when I followed JC from the west coast back to Hobart and he was towing the camper (albeit light) and he kept a good pace AND 12l/100, mine still has plenty more go, BUT the trailer would suck the guts out of it, especially on those BIG fuggin hills and it didn't bother his one bit

12l/100km

12/100km

12l/100km

:mad:bloody JC has me thinking Diesel:eek: but 13bt and Tojo auto might be the go:angel:

Vern
23rd April 2008, 07:35 PM
yeah bloody diesel:mad:;). Well if i can get that cruiser auto i will drop it off next time i'm down. What about a 4BD1T? and T700? Or Atlas? The Isuzu seems to have a better rep than the 13bt thats all.

rovercare
23rd April 2008, 07:39 PM
yeah bloody diesel:mad:;). Well if i can get that cruiser auto i will drop it off next time i'm down. What about a 4BD1T? and T700? Or Atlas? The Isuzu seems to have a better rep than the 13bt thats all.

Well buy the motor and adaptor, and I'll see about fitting;)

I really like the idea of a larger rev range but:angel:

Vern
23rd April 2008, 07:45 PM
Yeah totally agree on the rev range, 4k is good, whats the 4bdit do? 3600?

rovercare
23rd April 2008, 07:48 PM
Yeah totally agree on the rev range, 4k is good, whats the 4bdit do? 3600?

3200:eek:

Vern
23rd April 2008, 07:49 PM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek2:

Dougal
24th April 2008, 04:40 AM
3200:eek:

Mine does 3600.
I don't seem to ever take it over 3000 though. Adjusting the rev limit is as easy as turning a screw on the top of the fuel pump governor.

rovercare
24th April 2008, 08:12 AM
Mine does 3600.
I don't seem to ever take it over 3000 though. Adjusting the rev limit is as easy as turning a screw on the top of the fuel pump governor.

Rev range will be handy in the bush:angel:

Dougal
24th April 2008, 08:17 AM
Rev range will be handy in the bush:angel:

You don't need many revs when you can spin all four in 3rd.:)

But first you need the gauges so you know when to stop turning the screws.

rovercare
24th April 2008, 08:33 AM
You don't need many revs when you can spin all four in 3rd.:)

But first you need the gauges so you know when to stop turning the screws.

Trust me, it helps

Yea of course i'll have a pyro;)

What temps i'll run who knows:D, gotta turbo/intercool my current Isuzu first and play

1103.9TDI
24th April 2008, 05:19 PM
All well and good, but I'm expecting somewhere above 50 000km before I have to pull it down, more in the region of 500 000km and preferably more!, but I guess if you're into some sort of competition!!!.;)

rovercare
24th April 2008, 05:25 PM
If you use the quote symbols for your sig, it'd look just like a quote:D, I like it but:eek::)

How many kays you done now JC?:D

1103.9TDI
24th April 2008, 05:40 PM
60 000kays, without a hitch, just a new starter motor $398, but that was off the old NA, so 420 000kays on that!.......
..........If I turn the screw, I'll loose some economy, and with diesel set to get to $2 a litre soon.........:mad::D:D:D

Dougal
24th April 2008, 05:48 PM
..........If I turn the screw, I'll loose some economy, and with diesel set to get to $2 a litre soon.........:mad::D:D:D

You'll only lose economy if you drive everywhere faster.
Most driving is at part load, so changing the max power where you only run a few percent of the time makes no noticable difference to economy.

The best fuel saving device is still a block under the pedal.

justinc
24th April 2008, 07:56 PM
If you use the quote symbols for your sig, it'd look just like a quote:D, I like it but:eek::)

How many kays you done now JC?:D

G'day Matt.
How was the trip back?
We're off to Nugent tomorrow for a look...Not enough rain lately though to make it as interesting as last time stooge and his associates went there...:(

I had to put some fuel in at about 900k, but I'm guessing as my Odo isn't working properly ATM. It was Wednesday when I put diesel in it!!
I'm guessing aroound 12l/100k.

Hope you get that turbo on the 120 soon.:twisted:.

JC

rovercare
24th April 2008, 08:42 PM
G'day Matt.
How was the trip back?
We're off to Nugent tomorrow for a look...Not enough rain lately though to make it as interesting as last time stooge and his associates went there...:(

I had to put some fuel in at about 900k, but I'm guessing as my Odo isn't working properly ATM. It was Wednesday when I put diesel in it!!
I'm guessing aroound 12l/100k.

Hope you get that turbo on the 120 soon.:twisted:.

JC

Good, on the boat now, limped it another .5k, but hired a car:( and did more of the central highlands, didn't wanna risk it TO much, already did near 1k:twisted:

1103.9TDI
25th April 2008, 11:14 PM
Dougal
You'll only lose economy if you drive everywhere faster.

Sorry mate, I just don't see the point of the adjustment unless you're after more power, which would be difficult not to use!......:twisted:

Dougal
27th April 2008, 06:46 AM
Sorry mate, I just don't see the point of the adjustment unless you're after more power, which would be difficult not to use!......:twisted:

For sure. But due to government imposed speed limits, I can only use all my extra power on hills and in short bursts. It hasn't changed my overall fuel consumption, but tyre consumption has definitely increased.:D

dylan gover
12th September 2008, 01:15 PM
fwiw, my most recent and noticeable improvement in power/performance and economy came from fitting a new zu 82deg thermostat (as recommended by earlier threads)

engine had been running way too cool

don't fit it without a new gasket however

how cool is to cool ?????

O SEA D
29th November 2008, 07:37 AM
Thanks for all the replies and discussion on this thread. A turbo will be going on the old girl soon.