PDA

View Full Version : Tow bar?

jik22
17th December 2007, 05:35 PM
OK, sanity check please. Fitted the weird tow hitch for the first time today (Usually use the Defender on the rare occasions I need to tow anything) so we could collect a camper trailer, and was amazed at how close to the floor the hitch then is. Also, there seemed to be no towing ball attachment either. The handbook showed one, but then made the comment this was for all except Australian models.

Once I found out there was no tow ball, I was just planning to use the one off the Defender's hitch (Which is never fitted anyway, as I have a rear recovery point installed there!!) but this then drops the position even closer to the floor!

So, am I missing something, or is this really how they mount, and do I need a special LR tow ball to get it back to a half reasonable height? :confused:

jik22
17th December 2007, 05:49 PM
Hmm...quick call to the dealer later, and I'm assured they do a "special" towing pack which has the hitch to ball adapter bent at an angle to put the thing back to the right height. Best go and look at one I suppose....at $163!

Why on earth they couldn't have just put the square receiver where the towing eye is under the plastic cover and be done with it, I don't know.

Oh, and $27 for a UK plug adapter! (Though that's going to get fixed by re-wiring the trailer with my spare UK plug I still have somewhere!)

Scouse
18th December 2007, 09:54 AM
It's a very strange set up but there was a compliance issue with the UK spec towbar. LR actually recalled the original spec to fit the current type you have.

I'd suggest removing it (both parts) when not in use too. We've had a few customers who've impacted the towbar on driveways & caused damage (one even caused chassis damage so that was a very hard hit).

gghaggis
18th December 2007, 10:30 AM
I'd suggest removing it (both parts) when not in use too ....

I'd concur - they're a bugger to get out when jammed in after bouncing off a ridge!

Cheers,

Gordon

jik22
18th December 2007, 12:21 PM
I'd concur - they're a bugger to get out when jammed in after bouncing off a ridge!

Cheers,

Gordon

Well, at least they are quick to remove the proper way too. :)

Think I have it sussed - turns out the trailer has a Tregg hitch, which I'd forgotten I ordered, so all I think I need to do is take the tow ball itself out of the hitch/bar adapter from the Defender, turn it upside down to get the angle going the other way, and bolt the other half of the Tregg hitch in, and it should be the right height when hitched up!

Will know later today when I have time to play.

PCH
18th December 2007, 03:28 PM
Jeff,

Please also consult the manual on the maximum allowable rise in the hitch you can use on the standard stupid LR receiver. I'm sure there is engineering design reasoning behind the maximum your hitch can be rasied from where it slides into the square on the receiver.

To improve the rear clearance you need to look at replacing the standard LR hitch receiver with an after market one like a Mitchellbros4x4 one that mounts off the LR hitch receptical and rear recovery eye. See below for some pics on the Disco3.co.uk forum - Posted by "caverD3". There are aheap of us waiting for the new hitch to be ready for sale - so get in line.

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Towing Hitch (http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic10853.html?start=180)

Chris

jik22
18th December 2007, 09:21 PM
Jeff,

Please also consult the manual on the maximum allowable rise in the hitch you can use on the standard stupid LR receiver. I'm sure there is engineering design reasoning behind the maximum your hitch can be rasied from where it slides into the square on the receiver.

Will do, though as long as the trailer sits level you'd think that would be good enough...but I suppose i better check, even if it means giving Landrover more money for a bloody stupid and ugly design.

At least I'm only towing a baby camper trailer though, and on tarmac this time, so it's not going to get stressed I wouldn't have thought.

To improve the rear clearance you need to look at replacing the standard LR hitch receiver with an after market one like a Mitchellbros4x4 one that mounts off the LR hitch receptical and rear recovery eye. See below for some pics on the Disco3.co.uk forum - Posted by "caverD3". There are aheap of us waiting for the new hitch to be ready for sale - so get in line.

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Towing Hitch (http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic10853.html?start=180)

Chris

That's very useful - thanks. Much nicer design - now why couldn't the factory have done that as an option? :confused:

Is there some kind of waiting list to get myself on - as the D3 is now going to be the main touring/tow car for the trailer, I do want something better than the factory option!

PCH
18th December 2007, 10:19 PM
Is there some kind of waiting list to get myself on - as the D3 is now going to be the main touring/tow car for the trailer, I do want something better than the factory option!

If you go and look at the Disco3.co.uk post again you will find the telephone number for MitchellBros at the bottom of the posts with user name "mitchellbros4x4". Ask for Aaron Mitchell.

Chris

jik22
19th December 2007, 09:47 AM
If you go and look at the Disco3.co.uk post again you will find the telephone number for MitchellBros at the bottom of the posts with user name "mitchellbros4x4". Ask for Aaron Mitchell.

Chris

With something like 14 pages on that thread, I didn't read it all. Also found them on here too though, so all sorted, thanks!