PDA

View Full Version : A Scotsman's Genuine Italian Cuisine

Barra1
19th December 2007, 10:11 PM
Okay - this takes trust and daring... try it and don't allow your instinct to rule the level of olive oil used.

Ingredients:
Veal
Pasta
Olive Oil
Wine
and Wine
and lots of spices

The Idea
We are going to crumb the veal as such:

Cut the veal into strips

Roll in flour, dip in eggs (whipped)

Coat in crumbs - as such

Corn Flake crumbs spiced with
Granulated Garlic - good sprinkle
Sesame seeds - half tspn is good
sprinkle of dried chilli
half tspn of ground cumin - anymore is too much
ground pepper and salt - grind it pleeeaaasssee
a little bit of dried chilli - as I said a little bit - just a touch
Just a touch of sumac
Whack in a bit of that dried parmesan cheese - not too much though.
Maybe a quarter of a tspn of turmeric - if I have enjoyed the company whilst cooking I invariably put more in ... nobody complains.....they have had too much wine also.....

The Pasta
Ah....a wonderful thing is fresh pasta....

Whatever takes your fancy - I like fettucine...fresh is best

Cook it as you normally do - but add salt and a damned good dash of extra virgin oil to the water... now add another good dash of extra virgin oil (Geez you only live once and ... just do it)
When it is cooked - and by the way.....

You have been cooking the veal during this time - you have been cooking in a non-stick frying pan with a slick covering of extra virgin olive oil.... or

You are bush and you have a BBQ? Easy....

Put Oven Bake paper on the cast iron frying pan or Barby Plate, dash of oil and cook the veal strips - yes Oven Bake Paper.....
Plenty of oil - cook it fast, don't burn the crumbing..

Pasta

When it is cooked - drain it into a colandar or whatever - now - add oil to the saucepan/pan, a couple of finely cut spring onions and 50 cloves of garlic - OK not fifty but howabout six - even 8 - crushed - a sprinkle of chilli flakes and a very small sprinkle of cumin seeds - very small - it will crackle etc - another dash of oil and whack the pasta back into it - keep on the heat for a few seconds - toss it/mix it well.....

Serve the pasta and veal...........and top with freshly grated parmesan cheese - no need for much else.

Not traditional - cut out some of the extra spices and it probably is...........

numpty
20th December 2007, 03:41 PM
Sounds allright Barra1. But when you say fresh pasta are you referring to pasta just made by your own loving hands? And there is no need for oil in with the pasta water, unless of course it is just for self gratification.:p

cucinadio
20th December 2007, 03:54 PM
Okay - this takes trust and daring... try it and don't allow your instinct to rule the level of olive oil used.

Ingredients:
Veal
Pasta
Olive Oil
Wine
and Wine
and lots of spices

The Idea
We are going to crumb the veal as such:

Cut the veal into strips

Roll in flour, dip in eggs (whipped)

Coat in crumbs - as such

Corn Flake crumbs spiced with
Granulated Garlic - good sprinkle
Sesame seeds - half tspn is good
sprinkle of dried chilli
half tspn of ground cumin - anymore is too much
ground pepper and salt - grind it pleeeaaasssee
a little bit of dried chilli - as I said a little bit - just a touch
Just a touch of sumac
Whack in a bit of that dried parmesan cheese - not too much though.
Maybe a quarter of a tspn of turmeric - if I have enjoyed the company whilst cooking I invariably put more in ... nobody complains.....they have had too much wine also.....

The Pasta
Ah....a wonderful thing is fresh pasta....

Whatever takes your fancy - I like fettucine...fresh is best

Cook it as you normally do - but add salt and a damned good dash of extra virgin oil to the water... now add another good dash of extra virgin oil (Geez you only live once and ... just do it)
When it is cooked - and by the way.....

You have been cooking the veal during this time - you have been cooking in a non-stick frying pan with a slick covering of extra virgin olive oil.... or

You are bush and you have a BBQ? Easy....

Put Oven Bake paper on the cast iron frying pan or Barby Plate, dash of oil and cook the veal strips - yes Oven Bake Paper.....
Plenty of oil - cook it fast, don't burn the crumbing..

Pasta

When it is cooked - drain it into a colandar or whatever - now - add oil to the saucepan/pan, a couple of finely cut spring onions and 50 cloves of garlic - OK not fifty but howabout six - even 8 - crushed - a sprinkle of chilli flakes and a very small sprinkle of cumin seeds - very small - it will crackle etc - another dash of oil and whack the pasta back into it - keep on the heat for a few seconds - toss it/mix it well.....

Serve the pasta and veal...........and top with freshly grated parmesan cheese - no need for much else.

Not traditional - cut out some of the extra spices and it probably is...........

uuummmm "turmeric"!!!! ;);););)

but other than that, sounds great

cheers

cucinadio
20th December 2007, 04:17 PM
Sounds yum :D

I'd be tempted to toss in a little fresh basil to the pasta too :D

Oh...now I'm hungry...;)

you go girl now were talkin :D

cheers

RonMcGr
20th December 2007, 05:10 PM
Cannot say I've ever done that to veal!

Crumbed, yes.
Fry it put it on a plate with cooked prawns or crab on top, add freshly cooked asparagus and top with Hollandaise Sauce.

Absolutely lovely and called, Veal Oscar :D

Barra1
20th December 2007, 08:05 PM
Sounds allright Barra1. But when you say fresh pasta are you referring to pasta just made by your own loving hands? And there is no need for oil in with the pasta water, unless of course it is just for self gratification.:p
Fresh pasta, Numpty - made at a local shop here in Albury. Mate, I'm stretched for time at the best so sometimes I have to cheat - and the Green Zebra makes fine pasta.

Oil in the pasta water - who am I to doubt the young lass who insisted this was a must - can't say I have ever tried it without putting the oil in.... now you have me wondering....

I don't know if I mentioned to make sure there is olive oil on the oven bake paper - and hot - before putting the veal onto it. (Keeps the crumbs from burning);)

Aaron
20th December 2007, 08:57 PM
Olive oil in the water isnt needed. The oil floats at the top of the water and dosnt do anything except get tipped down the drain. At work doing big batches of pasta we coat it in oil to stop it sticking in storage.

I, Aaron, promise you the next time you cook pasta, and don't add oil, it will not stick. Just make sure the water is boiling, stir it as soon as it hits the water, and bring it back to the boil ASAP.

Ive cooked 20kg batches of pasta with no oil, and ive never had a sticking problem. If you can get something to stick while under water, you are pretty skilled.

loanrangie
21st December 2007, 03:57 PM
Olive oil in the water isnt needed. The oil floats at the top of the water and dosnt do anything except get tipped down the drain. At work doing big batches of pasta we coat it in oil to stop it sticking in storage.

I, Aaron, promise you the next time you cook pasta, and don't add oil, it will not stick. Just make sure the water is boiling, stir it as soon as it hits the water, and bring it back to the boil ASAP.

Ive cooked 20kg batches of pasta with no oil, and ive never had a sticking problem. If you can get something to stick while under water, you are pretty skilled.

Well said, working in a few Italian restaurants over my 22 year cooking career i only ever used oil when i was twirling pasta into serving sizes ready for dropping into a chinois to heat. We had tubs full in the coolroom ready for those busy thurs- sun nights @ 200 covers a night.

Barra1
21st December 2007, 07:16 PM
Well thanks fellas:) ... that's what is good about this site... advice.

But guess what... it is my recipe so I will stick to it....

The advice re the oil in the water is graciously accepted but hell, after 30 years - I ain't changing it.

Pasta sticking? Never mentioned that - I didn't did I - nah, don't think so - think outside the square fellas - it is there for taste;) Have you tried it - yeah, I know you have been doing it for 22 years and never needed it - time for a change?

Damn - might be time for me to change........:o
probably, Old Farts need a change....

But recipes posted on here :)... let me share - does anyone follow a recipe - EXACTLY - not this old fella (except this recipe - because I like it)...so please feel free to cook the pasta as to however it works for you...

Gee that was a long way to say......nah, have a couple of bottles of red, friends etc ...cook it as however you want... betcha you enjoy it. ;););)

cucinadio
21st December 2007, 09:19 PM
Cannot say I've ever done that to veal!

Crumbed, yes.
Fry it put it on a plate with cooked prawns or crab on top, add freshly cooked asparagus and top with Hollandaise Sauce.

Absolutely lovely and called, Veal Oscar :D

gee ron ur realy showin your age now !!!!:D

cheers

cucinadio
21st December 2007, 09:34 PM
Well thanks fellas:) ... that's what is good about this site... advice.

But guess what... it is my recipe so I will stick to it....

The advice re the oil in the water is graciously accepted but hell, after 30 years - I ain't changing it.

Pasta sticking? Never mentioned that - I didn't did I - nah, don't think so - think outside the square fellas - it is there for taste;) Have you tried it - yeah, I know you have been doing it for 22 years and never needed it - time for a change?

Damn - might be time for me to change........:o
probably, Old Farts need a change....

But recipes posted on here :)... let me share - does anyone follow a recipe - EXACTLY - not this old fella (except this recipe - because I like it)...so please feel free to cook the pasta as to however it works for you...

Gee that was a long way to say......nah, have a couple of bottles of red, friends etc ...cook it as however you want... betcha you enjoy it. ;););)

you go boy, mate the boys are just being "chefs" you do it how it works for you!,
And if u want my advise boys, it has nothing to do with the pasta not sticking, the olio is really just to put some flavour into the pasta, which if ur cooking fresh pasta has real merit!!, but it allso depend's on what pasta your cooking, olio helps ****y pasta's like san remo and other ****y brand's not stick, but if its a decent commercial pasta then, rolling boiling "salted" water is best

chou

Barra1
22nd December 2007, 07:40 AM
I re-read my last post this morning - I've got to say it could be taken a little harshly - it wasn't meant to be - I actually reckon your ideas and advice are fantastic - and I am going to try them. Now I didn't say I would like the "new" way of cooking the pasta;) but I will try it OK.:)

Thanks fellas - sorry if it did seem harsh.;);)

cucinadio
22nd December 2007, 07:50 AM
I re-read my last post this morning - I've got to say it could be taken a little harshly - it wasn't meant to be - I actually reckon your ideas and advice are fantastic - and I am going to try them. Now I didn't say I would like the "new" way of cooking the pasta;) but I will try it OK.:)

Thanks fellas - sorry if it did seem harsh.;);)

yhea somtime's its easy to come across as being harsh
trust me i of all people on this site know this just ask anyone :rolleyes::lol2::lol2::D

cheers

RonMcGr
22nd December 2007, 08:12 AM
gee ron ur realy showin your age now !!!!:D

cheers

Well, that's what you get from some one who is + 21 :D

cucinadio
22nd December 2007, 08:26 AM
Well, that's what you get from some one who is + 21 :D

mate if i had to count how many veal oscars i've had to cook over the years i would be happy never to cook one againe!!!

" very very popular dish back around 89/91 "

cheers

numpty
22nd December 2007, 09:35 AM
Have just made a batch of Spag Bol and it is cooking slowly on the stove right now.

I will add, I am at work as well.:D

cucinadio
22nd December 2007, 02:23 PM
Have just made a batch of Spag Bol and it is cooking slowly on the stove right now.

I will add, I am at work as well.:D

i mean this in atottaly gel's and nice way numpty

""B%^$H " :p

cheers

Aaron
24th December 2007, 10:01 PM
Every time I see a parmigana come up on a docket I want to die!

Back to the oil, I just think its a waist. Im an oil fanatic, and have a cupboard dedicated to oils. There is no way I could throw it down the sink.

Barra, just try it ! do it for kicks :)

cucinadio
24th December 2007, 10:40 PM
Every time I see a parmigana come up on a docket I want to die!

Back to the oil, I just think its a waist. Im an oil fanatic, and have a cupboard dedicated to oils. There is no way I could throw it down the sink.

Barra, just try it ! do it for kicks :)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::whistling::whistlin g::whistling::unsure::unsure:

cheers