PDA

View Full Version : RRC what year got seats with arm rests?

HangOver
20th December 2007, 12:59 AM
I have an 81' 2 door.
I was wondering what year the RRC got those nice seats with the arm rests that mine doesn't have.
I think I read some where 82 or maybe 84?

I was also wondering about the legalities of adding a later chair to mine if I can find one with arm rests and has the seat belt in the chair back.

Or maybe they were never made, do you know?

Lotz-A-Landies
20th December 2007, 01:25 AM
I have an 81' 2 door.
I was wondering what year the RRC got those nice seats with the arm rests that mine doesn't have.

I was also wondering about the legalities of adding a later chair to mine if I can find one with arm rests and has the seat belt in the chair back.

The arm rests came on the Phase 2 HiLine models - build commenced for Phase 2 in August 1984 but officially they are 1985 models.

The deal with fitting later seats is that if you don't change the mountings and the seats are ADR approved in the later model they are an approved modification. Your problem is going to be the seat belt anchorage, your 1981 2 door has the seat belt out of the seat, the later seats have the seat belt anchorage as an adjustable fitting in the "B" pillar which in the 2 door will be in the wrong place.

Outside that you are supposed to get the installation checked by an engineer - but hey - what authorised inspection station or RTA examiner is going to know which Range Rover model had which seats?

The thing you need to do is use the original bolts and screws that came off the later model.

C Ya
Dana

dungarover
20th December 2007, 07:28 AM
As Lotz-a-Landies stated that were introduced when the Phase 2 model was introduced Mid 84, but I've seen some earlier 4 doors with the earlier type seats like yours have armrests though.

Trav

Lotz-A-Landies
20th December 2007, 08:50 AM
As Lotz-a-Landies stated that were introduced when the Phase 2 model was introduced Mid 84, but I've seen some earlier 4 doors with the earlier type seats like yours have armrests though.

Trav

Trav

You may be right there - thinking back some of the later "phase 1" Vogues may have had arm rests. The ones which also had the little cushion on the head rest. they may have been the 1984 model but no earlier than 1982 when they changed to later tail-lamp design.

Diana

BigJon
20th December 2007, 09:04 AM
- thinking back some of the later "phase 1" Vogues may have had arm rests.

I thought Vogue was a trim specification that replaced Hiline. My 10/87 Range Rover is a Hiline, so Vogue would be after that.

Lotz-A-Landies
20th December 2007, 09:55 AM
I thought Vogue was a trim specification that replaced Hiline. My 10/87 Range Rover is a Hiline, so Vogue would be after that.
Big John

There were occasional upgraded trim models designed by Vogue from the mid 1970's. In fact the first one was only a concept car and I think it was unveiled in a Paris fashion show. They became the standard upgraded trim models in the first of the 4 door production cars in the early-mid 1980's and particularly in 1983/1984 models.

With the introduction of Phase 2 for the 1985 model (front no-quarter window and new style instrument binnacle) there was the new Hi-Line option but no Vogue. Subsequently the Vogue option was re-introduced with the EFI 1988-9 model.

So yes the Vogue did replace the Hi-Line.

Diana :angel:

BigJon
20th December 2007, 12:45 PM
Ah.

My 10/87 build Hiline must be one of the last then.

Scouse
20th December 2007, 12:55 PM
Ah.

My 10/87 build Hiline must be one of the last then.My 5/88 build EA is still designated as a Hiline on the LR system.

For those out there with Viking access, if you look in Model Enquiry you can see that the first designated Vogue came with the 1989 (FA) model.

HangOver
20th December 2007, 04:46 PM
So there is no chance of me getting the arm rest version with a seat mounted belt, Oh well at least I know.
I'm not about to fit pillar mounted belts, far too much work !

Lotz-A-Landies
20th December 2007, 05:14 PM
So there is no chance of me getting the arm rest version with a seat mounted belt, Oh well at least I know.
I'm not about to fit pillar mounted belts, far too much work !

Wrong, I am thinking (but have no proof yet) that the 1984 Vogue models had both the integral seatbelt and an armrest, but they will take some finding.

Although, it was very common for Recaro seats to be fitted to 2 door models with a variety of seat belt anchorages to replace the integral belts. This will require fitting by an authorised seat belt fitting station and then certification of the seat.

Diana

P.S. Onto the Vogue issue. The second appearence of the Vogue option (the Vogue SE) was launched at the Geneva Motor Show in March 1988.

dungarover
20th December 2007, 06:36 PM
All Rangies up til 89 were called Hi-Lines, although in the UK they're always referd to as a Vogue from day one I think. But all Aus spec Rangies were called Vogues from this time on (89 onwrds) :)

Best way to tell is that all Hi-Lines in Aus all had the LT230 transfer, Vogues IICR were all BW Viscous coupling Transfer cases.

Trav

Dougal
2nd January 2008, 01:13 PM
All Rangies up til 89 were called Hi-Lines, although in the UK they're always referd to as a Vogue from day one I think. But all Aus spec Rangies were called Vogues from this time on (89 onwrds) :)

Best way to tell is that all Hi-Lines in Aus all had the LT230 transfer, Vogues IICR were all BW Viscous coupling Transfer cases.

Trav

Must be market specific.
In NZ they were Vogues from about 85. My 85 is a Vogue but it was an import from the middle east.
We didn't get the Hiline model or the sherwood model. But they did change from LT230 to BW after 88.

There are two door seatbelt equipped seats with armrests, the CSK should have them and I'm assured 2 doors were available right through till the end of the classic line (even though very few were sold).
The UK aftermarket will have the seats you want.

VladTepes
2nd January 2008, 02:05 PM
I've not rad all this thread yet, but if you are even slightlytall you are better off saving your money. I reckon those armrests (as fitted to my 94 Classic) are rubbish. As you adjust them up and down they actually change angle - really uncomfortable. As a result I don;t use them.

(No you can't have my seats!)

dungarover
2nd January 2008, 05:09 PM
I've not rad all this thread yet, but if you are even slightlytall you are better off saving your money. I reckon those armrests (as fitted to my 94 Classic) are rubbish. As you adjust them up and down they actually change angle - really uncomfortable. As a result I don;t use them.

(No you can't have my seats!)

I've owned 4 Rangies with armrests and find them comfortable. Maybe you should stop driving that bloody Defender with crapola seats, but I am a short **** (5'9" is short by todays standards it is), also the Rahgie wasn't meant for lanky buggers like you :lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

Trav

VladTepes
2nd January 2008, 05:29 PM
Yeah Rangies are built for Queens :p:eek::twisted::wasntme:

VladTepes
2nd January 2008, 05:29 PM
Not that there's anything wrong with that !

VladTepes
2nd January 2008, 05:30 PM
Just having a go Trav !

BigJon
3rd January 2008, 09:56 AM
, but if you are even slightlytall you are better off saving your money. I reckon those armrests (as fitted to my 94 Classic) are rubbish.

I use mine all the time and I am well over 6 feet tall. Very comfortable.

rovercare
3rd January 2008, 10:16 AM
I use mine all the time and I am well over 6 feet tall. Very comfortable.

I'm 6'3" and lurve my arm rests:D

dungarover
3rd January 2008, 03:18 PM
Get stuffed Vlad, the rough-**** ride in that Defender must have shaken a few nuts loose in your head :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

You're the only one I know who doesn't like the arm resrs in the Rangies.

Trav

VladTepes
3rd January 2008, 03:44 PM
WHat ? I can't hear you ?

(Must be the Defender at fault again).

PLR
20th January 2008, 08:08 PM
I have an 81' 2 door.

G`day HangOver ,

1983 4 door , ( Highline here Vogue elsewhere ) also known as " Launch Pack " here was the first to come with both front and rear armrests .

This model has the belts in the seats like earlier models , so could be fitted to yours without any problem .

1984 was the last year in normal run to have the belts in the seats so you only have a couple of years that are a straight swap .

This next won`t tally with what`s already been typed but i know the following to be correct .

Vogue came about because a limited number of flash cars were built for 1981 .

LandRover stylists along with Wood and Pickett came up with the design .

This model was publicised in the Magazine Vogue .

This model was called the " In Vogue " because it was IN the magazine .

Then in 1983 a special edition model was made but because it had nothing to do with the magazine was called " Vogue " and the in was dropped .

Then from that model all the flash ones were Vogue ( highline ) and the lesser fitted models " standard " this carried on untill around 1989 .

Cheers

HangOver
20th January 2008, 09:12 PM
So I'm looking out for a 83/84 highline/vogue
thanks for that !

You never know !

Lotz-A-Landies
20th January 2008, 09:29 PM
thanks for that !

You never know !

No (well not quite) the first Hiline was a 1985 model, phase 2 Range Rover, although some had late 1984 build dates (it's a Rover Co production year thing) the Hilines were all 4 door in Oz and had the seat belts from the door pillar.

There was a Vogue (not to be confused with the much later Vogue SE) which was released in 1983 and did have arm rests and an integral seatbelt.

Diana

Lotz-A-Landies
20th January 2008, 09:50 PM

Trav
Trav - Wrong Wrong Wrong.

When I bought my HiLine (10/84 build date first reg December 1984 in Oz) I could have had the base model. The base models had hand winding regulators for the door windows and the trim was a beige colour in plastic and no arm rests in either the front or rear seats.

The Hiline models had grey interior trim with wood panel inserts the door handles, wood trim for the top of the door trim and electric window regulators. The front seats had armrests in the centre of the car and the rear seats had 3 fold out armrests. If it doesn't have wood trim and arm rests then it is not a Hiline.

There were no Hilines before the phase 2 (1985 model with some built after August 1984) and the Hiline ended with the release of the Vogue SE in 1988.

You are somewhat correct about the LT230 transfer - they were introduced with the phase 2 although they were on both the Hiline and the base model Range Rover with whichever the LT77, Torqueflyte 727 or ZF gearboxes. The Vogue SE from 1988 did have the BW viscous coupling transfer box. While the Disco 1, which replaced the base model RR retained the LT230

Diana

Addit: For those who want to discuss (argue) this one, can I ask you to consider the following. I owned a 1980 RR in 1982 kept it for a couple or three years and traded it in to Richard Asquith to buy my current Phase 2 Range Rover. I know what was available at the time and what they were called and purchased my Hiline from the showroom. If you have any more personal experience than that. You can call me wrong.

PLR
21st January 2008, 05:17 AM
thanks for that !

You never know !

Yep , i don`t think what it`s called matters .

From 83 the armrests were an option for flasher ones .

Cheers

PLR
21st January 2008, 05:49 AM
Trav - Wrong Wrong Wrong.

When I bought my HiLine (10/84 build date first reg December 1984 in Oz) I could have had the base model. The base models had hand winding regulators for the door windows and the trim was a beige colour in plastic and no arm rests in either the front or rear seats.

The Hiline models had grey interior trim with wood panel inserts the door handles, wood trim for the top of the door trim and electric window regulators. The front seats had armrests in the centre of the car and the rear seats had 3 fold out armrests. If it doesn't have wood trim and arm rests then it is not a Hiline.

There were no Hilines before the phase 2 (1985 model with some built after August 1984) and the Hiline ended with the release of the Vogue SE in 1988.

You are somewhat correct about the LT230 transfer - they were introduced with the phase 2 although they were on both the Hiline and the base model Range Rover with whichever the LT77, Torqueflyte 727 or ZF gearboxes. The Vogue SE from 1988 did have the BW viscous coupling transfer box. While the Disco 1, which replaced the base model RR retained the LT230

Diana

Addit: For those who want to discuss (argue) this one, can I ask you to consider the following. I owned a 1980 RR in 1982 kept it for a couple or three years and traded it in to Richard Asquith to buy my current Phase 2 Range Rover. I know what was available at the time and what they were called and purchased my Hiline from the showroom. If you have any more personal experience than that. You can call me wrong.

G `day Diana ,

Pressuming the last peice is directed my way ?

I have no want to argue , it doesn`t really matter what they were called as highline is an AU thing and out of sinc with other places .

My interest is to see the correct infomation put up as i`m of the opinion if it`s typed it should be right and for no other reason .

If it`s right it gives credibility to this RR section .

The LT230 arrived around 1983 with the 3 spd auto T/F and then with the 1984 5 spd man LT77 when the LT95 was dropped which is prior to the 1984/5 Phase 2 BA model RR .

Please don`t take anything i type personally , i`ve no interest in one upmanship or who seems cleverer or cleverest or anything like .
Only that the info if typed is correct as possible .

If i type wrong or misleading info i expect and ask that it be corrected .

Cheers , Peter

Lotz-A-Landies
21st January 2008, 03:40 PM
Peter

No not directed at you -

The thing that got on my goat and I'm not going to name names is the comments that "All Rangies up til 89 were called Hi-Lines, although in the UK they're always referred to as a Vogue from day one" this is simply wrong on at least 2 counts.

You are correct there was a Vogue model from 1983 to 1984, and the launch pack referred to the release of the 4 door models not to the launch of the Phase 2 models. In this you may be correct the Vogue models could have had the LT230/727 transmission (which was the reason for the LT230 design) up until the LT230 and particularly in Oz the auto was an aftermarket conversion of the original (Ferguson designed) 4 speed manual box to a BW 3 speed auto, these were actually sold with the conversion through the Oz dealer network with a new car warranty.

On the other hand, the Hiline only came in "as the flashy model" from the start of the phase 2 up until the Vogue SE which was launched in 1988. There was always a standard trim version while the Hiline was available, however when the Vogue SE came in JRA could have well dropped the importation of the standard version while they awaited the intro of the Discovery.

When it all comes down to it - HangOver's question about the arm rests: he needs to find seats from a Vogue model (the flashy upgraded trim option) built between 1983 and August 1984. This may be an awkward ask.

Diana

PLR
21st January 2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks Diana ,

i don`t want to seem to be treading on anyone toes because that`s not my way .

If i disagree with something i will always try to give explaination and reason as to why .

Cheers , Peter .

Lotz-A-Landies
22nd January 2008, 01:50 AM
Thanks Diana ,

i don`t want to seem to be treading on anyone toes because that`s not my way .

If i disagree with something i will always try to give explaination and reason as to why .

Cheers , Peter .
Peter

I cant agree more.

There is far too much stuff put on internet fora which is mythology. The one that gets my back up most are the people who state that "my XXX year old so and so car has this particular thing attached to it now - so that must have been original" and they say it with a straight face without any documentary evidence. :nazilock:

Cheers
Diana

Dougal
22nd January 2008, 09:30 AM
I'd try UK landrover magazines.
They have a massive market over there for upgrading and restoring old rovers. I have seen photos of restorations which used new style seats (with seatbelt anchors in them) in a 2 door rangie.