PDA

View Full Version : Advice please - water tanks and plumbing?

jik22
20th December 2007, 09:32 PM
Just bought a camper trailer, and would ideally like to put a water tank inside, plumbed so the water flows when I turn the tap on, and powered so it doesn't need gravity to feed.

One place I spoke to quoted $300 for the set-up (80l tank) not including wiring or fitting. Another $50 got me a pump that sensed when it was required based on the tap being turned on. Is this about right, and are there any makes I should be looking at for the stuff, or avoiding?

A catalogue I was leafing through also showed an extra take-off for the tank with a hand pump labelled as drinking water. Is there any reason I couldn't use the one off the pump, or would this set-up simply be for convenience of having an extra outlet somewhere?

Also, any recommended suppliers in the Perth area?

Thanks!

Blknight.aus
20th December 2007, 10:04 PM
youve got 3 main options depending on how you want to set it up...

1. fit a 12v pump with a pressure swithc on it that turns the pump off if the pressure is over say 10psi

2. fit a 12v pump with an externally plumbed pressure switch that will turn the pump off in the same way as option 1

3. fit a blank hose with a 3psi check valve in it after the pump so that the water wont flow unless more than 3psi Is applied and then simply wire the switch near the water outlet.

once youve decided which of those 3 is your preference (I like 2+3 depending on application

options one and 2 require that you have a positive displacement type pump as a centrifuge pump unless fitted with a check valve on the outlet (the pump in option one will have this as standard or be a positive displacement pump) where as option 3 can be made to work with a cheap 12v boat bilge pump or one of those cheap 12v shower pumps and a relief valve from an aquarium pump

IMHO its All DIY no matter which way you go and if you only have one outlet option 3 is the goods as its the simplest to in stall the easiest to modify/repair and you can use one of those plunger type pumps that you see on really cheap vans or motor homes can be used as the final outlet so you can still draw water in the event of a total electrical failure. If its up high enough you can omit the relief valve.

after that I just use food grade hose, joints and seal it up with those black snap ring type connectors that you use on retic hose.

Utemad
20th December 2007, 10:14 PM
I've got a pressure sensitive pump on my camper. So when you turn the tap on the pump turns on. My pump has an inbuilt pressure switch but it is wired externally so if it ever played up I could just adjust the wiring.

My pump is overkill though (was unused at work so I gave it a home). It pumps 18.7L/min. Good for washing the car with the left over tank water though.

p38arover
20th December 2007, 11:02 PM
Jeff, sometimes it's worth checking out the boating suppliers. See Bias Boating BIAS Boating Warehouse - Catalogue Order Form (http://www.biasboating.com.au/catalogueorderform.html) and get one of their catalogues. Ditto for Whitworths Whitworths Marine & Leisure: Discount Marine Supplies (http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_home.asp) - get their catalogue, too.

RonMcGr
21st December 2007, 07:33 AM
If you go to a Caravan accessories shop, the 60l tanks are not very expensive. Make sure you fit it with a drain and tap, so you can empty it when not in use. That prevents misc growths inside :)

I fitted a "whale" water pump between the drain tap and tank. It is not a pressure pump. (We had those in the Chalet Campers and if a fitting became loose, the whole inside of the camper floaded with water :( )

The idea of the inline pump near the drain, is for priming it when the tank is refilled :D

I bought a tap ( Caravan accessory) that has an electronic switch on it as well as water flow regulator. It works very well.

Cheers

sschmez
21st December 2007, 07:56 AM
I've got a pressure sensitive pump on my camper. So when you turn the tap on the pump turns on.

Same, but that tap is on the kitchen and inside the camper when we're travelling

the hand pump is a good idea too, I have one of those as well.
(just think ...... flat battery, elec probs, pump problems etc.)
the hand pump is mounted external of the camper and we use it for getting water for the dogs when we're on the road ... (has also been handy for cooling system problems)

I also carry 20l water in a jerry can ... I don't like having all my eggs(water) in one basket ... nearly smashed a hole in the tank when reversing over an unseen stump once ... would've been a bit short of water that weekend. The Jerry is also handy to take water on trips away from the camper and for topping up the camper supply when suitable supplies are found.

Stevo

jik22
21st December 2007, 10:45 AM
If you go to a Caravan accessories shop, the 60l tanks are not very expensive. Make sure you fit it with a drain and tap, so you can empty it when not in use. That prevents misc growths inside :)

Cheers

Do you need a seperate drain? I was assuming I'd use one of the lower holes in the tank for the main tap outlet (with the upper ones for the filler and breather) and simply drain the tank from the "normal" tap at the end of the trip? Am I missing something here?

I like the idea of a hand pump though - didn't consider a power/pump failure. :(

RonMcGr
21st December 2007, 03:39 PM
Do you need a seperate drain? I was assuming I'd use one of the lower holes in the tank for the main tap outlet (with the upper ones for the filler and breather) and simply drain the tank from the "normal" tap at the end of the trip? Am I missing something here?

I like the idea of a hand pump though - didn't consider a power/pump failure. :(

It is that "Hole" down the bottom :)

What I did was have a tube go from the tank to one end of the pump. From the other end another short tube that goes to a Tee junction. The right angle up and a hose to the sink, the other bit another bit of tube and a "Garden Sprinkler" type tap, so you can A. drain the water and B. prime the pump.

If you like I can take a pic of it.

Cheers,

mcrover
21st December 2007, 05:07 PM
We used to use pressure sensing pumps in the vans years ago and I think they are the easiest way to go, easiest to wire up and being a possitive displacement diaphram type pump they dont need priming.

They only need a switched and fused + lead and a good earth and you have an inlet and outlet to plumb up.

Ive always used the clear PVC hose and poly barbed fittings and I use cable ties instead of the poly clips as there is no way they can come loose.

You can T off a hand pump before the electric pump but I wouldnt try to draw water through the electric pump with the hand pump as it may be a bit hard due to the valves in the pump.

The tank I would use would be a poly under body tank which you can mount inside the van if you want and you can get them with all sorts of different connection points.

If you were to get a stainless tank I could imagine it being a couple of hundred worth but not in poly.

Good luck

RonMcGr
21st December 2007, 07:38 PM
We used to use pressure sensing pumps in the vans years ago and I think they are the easiest way to go

You have obviously not seen one "Pop" a weak link :eek:

Not nice, 60 litres of water inside a Van full of wood, wallpaper doors on 3 ply can get very ugly, indeed :o.

Been there, seen that, never want to see it again :D

I have three water pumps on four water tanks and I watch them daily. A slight leak and you have an instand fload, not to mention precious rain water gone! :angrylock:

sschmez
22nd December 2007, 12:37 PM
You can T off a hand pump before the electric pump

try to use a separate barb on the tank for the hand pump, or the electric pump will suck air through the hand pump;)

RonMcGr
22nd December 2007, 01:17 PM
try to use a separate barb on the tank for the hand pump, or the electric pump will suck air through the hand pump;)

You can get one way valves.
I have one to stop the water running back when the tap is turned off.

DiscoTDI
27th December 2007, 08:52 AM
I use a hand pump on my trailer and it has not let me down in 5 years, plus I can rebuild it if it does break down. Simpler is usually better. :)