PDA

View Full Version : Installing UHF antenna

Bushwanderer
30th December 2007, 10:10 PM
Hi All,
Following advice from the General Forum, I have decided to fit my UHF antenna onto the ARB towbar, just beside the headlights.

Unfortunately, my current 6/9dB is a compact unit & I think will sit too low for good transmission in this new location. Consequently, I have bought a new fibreglas 6dB antenna (about 5ft long) to give me better range in hilly terrain.

I have managed to fit the base to the ARB bullbar, & the antenna attaches nicely. However, when trying to feed the coaxial cable through the firewall, I am lost.:(

Can people please advise me whether their co-axial cable has been fed through an existing grommet (&, if so, which one). Alternatively, was a new hole drilled through the firewall, &, if so, where?

Further, any advice as to placement of the UHF radio in the D3 would be appreciated.

Pics would help.

Many Thanks,

Sprint
30th December 2007, 10:49 PM
look for a convenient cable grommet that is 1: near where you want the cable to go through and 2: is reasonably easily accessible from both sides, trust me, theres nothing worse than turning yourself into a pretzel and slicing up your hand just because something is in the way!

Will
31st December 2007, 07:41 AM
I used the one located behind the spare battery box. A tight fit with all the other cables that are now located there, but a perfect fit.

Bushwanderer
31st December 2007, 03:01 PM
look for a convenient cable grommet that is 1: near where you want the cable to go through and 2: is reasonably easily accessible from both sides, trust me, theres nothing worse than turning yourself into a pretzel and slicing up your hand just because something is in the way!

Hi Sprint,
Unfortunately, there is no such grommet. :(

Bushwanderer
31st December 2007, 03:03 PM
I used the one located behind the spare battery box. A tight fit with all the other cables that are now located there, but a perfect fit.

Hi Will, I have been looking at a ssimilar location behind the main battery (without enthusiasm :(:(). I'll check your idea out

Best Wishes,

PCH
2nd January 2008, 02:57 PM
Hi Will, I have been looking at a ssimilar location behind the main battery (without enthusiasm :(:(). I'll check your idea out

Best Wishes,

Bushwanderer,

Will said "spare battery box". Look where your brake booster/master cylinder is. Behind this you will find the grommet which you can pull out and then make a hole thought the insulation material inside.

Cut a hole in the grommet and feed the coax through this hole and into the driver's side foot well and route it to where your UHF will be mounted. This is the fun bit - finding a good spot. Re fit your grommet into the firewall.

Chris

Bushwanderer
2nd January 2008, 03:21 PM
Bushwanderer,

Will said "spare battery box". Look where your brake booster/master cylinder is. Behind this you will find the grommet which you can pull out and then make a hole thought the insulation material inside.

Cut a hole in the grommet and feed the coax through this hole and into the driver's side foot well and route it to where your UHF will be mounted. This is the fun bit - finding a good spot. Re fit your grommet into the firewall.

Chris

Hi Chris, Thanks for your post.

I realise that Will was referring to the "spare" battery box, that's why I said that I'd check his idea out.

Thanks for your extra detail on how to feed the cable through the firewall.

As my D3 is the "S" model, I don't have the Nav. system. I'm considering fitting the UHF unit in that space. Does anyone have any "pros" or "cons" to fitting it in that location?

Best Wishes,

muppo
2nd January 2008, 08:33 PM
Bushwanderer,
Your car doesn't have the grommet that they are talking about because that is where your clutch cable is.

PCH
3rd January 2008, 08:16 AM
Bushwanderer,
Your car doesn't have the grommet that they are talking about because that is where your clutch cable is.

Doh :(. Sorry Bushwanderer about the bad information. Most of us have autos. Didn't even think that is why there is a grommet there. Thought LR was being thoughtful.

Regards,

Chris

Bushwanderer
3rd January 2008, 08:53 AM
Doh :(. Sorry Bushwanderer about the bad information. Most of us have autos. Didn't even think that is why there is a grommet there. Thought LR was being thoughtful.

Regards,

Chris

No probs. I think that I have the only D3 manual on AULRO.

Back to square 1. :(

garryc
3rd January 2008, 01:51 PM
No probs. I think that I have the only D3 manual on AULRO.

Back to square 1. :(
There is another small grommet down below the steering shaft. Very hard to get to. Inside the car remove the upright panel beside the accelerator pedal to get access:)

Jamo
7th January 2008, 10:50 PM
Sorry, I can't help. I've got an auto and used the one behind the aux battery box.

Bushwanderer
8th January 2008, 11:09 AM
Sorry, I can't help. I've got an auto and used the one behind the aux battery box.

Hi Jamo,
I suspected as much, but thought it was worth trying.

Best Wishes,