PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a Defender 130 Tdi

aussie.nomad
31st December 2007, 10:25 PM
Over the past 7 years I've had 2 Disco series 1's, and am now thinking about a Defender 130 Tdi. I've riden in one once and it seemed fairly comfortable, I expected a rough trot after the reviews I've heard on Defenders. When we go bush we usualy have to cover major highway ks to get to the bulldust. Are Defenders really as uncomfortable as my wife has been told?
I also need a truck that will tow a heavy CT (900kg), and a 1200 kg trailer-sailer. Would that be a big ask for a 2.5 Tdi?
What faults and telltales should I be looking for?
What questions should I ask?

My other option seems to be a Troopy, but I reckon Defenders are the sexiest fourbie on the planet. Trouble is, sex has got me into strife in the past and I'm trying to be wise about this one. All comments will be gratefully received.
PS: Happy New Year, I'm going to have another red and watch the fireworks now.
Greg.

lro11
31st December 2007, 10:31 PM
Greg, I had a 94 110 ute and i towed a 2t boat with ease the only thing was getting it rolling at the lights but much better that my father in laws triton v6 for pulling power the only major thing I had go wrong was the clutch bolts break just after i bought it and the accelerator cable broke and no spares available in Brisbane it wes a 300tdi

VladTepes
1st January 2008, 12:43 AM
Thinking about buying a Defender 130 Tdi

Me too. Go for it ! Good choice !

camel_landy
1st January 2008, 03:42 AM
Towing... No problem. You probably won't even notice the trailer there most of the time.

Comfort... Well, that tends to be a very personal thing. Sit in one & give it a try. Failing that, it's not too expensive to drop in a different seat (I use Exmoor Trim Trakkers).

HTH

M

JDNSW
1st January 2008, 06:06 AM
Comfort in a Defender is very much a personal thing - I think it depends on what shape you (and your wife) are. Noise levels are higher than a Disco, and your wife may find it a bit high off the ground to get into without steps, and the finish is spartan compared to a Disco or any "car". But I drove my 110 to Perth and back from Eastern Australia in November, covering 10,000km in three weeks, without feeling uncomfortable, several times spending twelve hours in a day sitting in it.

The one thing you need to consider, in my view is size and turning circle. The 110 is about the limit for easy parking - the extra 17" wheelbase and longer overhang on the 130 mean it will not fit in a lot of parking spaces, and the space between rows in many car parks means taking two goes to get into the spaces.

Also, the height means you have to watch clearance heights - with the 110 you need 2.05m on standard tyres and suspension, the 130 is slightly higher.

I can't comment on the specific ease of towing with the Tdi, except to point out both trailers you mention are well within manufacturer's and legal limits.

John

Xavie
1st January 2008, 07:27 AM
Hope you enjoyed the fireworks!

Defenders are not a comfortable vehicle I find but they are quite livable anyway. When I was buying one I noticed it had so few of the modern conveniences but then I realised all the rubbish other vehicles have in them just ain't necessary and I don't miss them at all.

I'd say a concern maybe the a/c is not as good as it could be and the seats are often complained about. But these are things you can change easily, at least the seats are.

Head light upgrade for night driving would probably be useful and not all that expensive either.

They are an awesome vehicle though. I think their biggest drop off point is cabin noise. I'm not sure how effectively people are able to insulate them but plenty of people on here have done it.

what is uncomfortable is the original freelander which I have as a loan while my vehicle is in under warranty. They are awful and far more uncomfortable then a defender (I realise this is not a choice for you anyway but I needed to say it haha).:)

Xavier

Chucaro
1st January 2008, 08:11 AM
Recaro seats or similar would be a big improvement ?
In the 80's I used to have a FJ40 and I fitted Volvo seats and the improvement was remarkable for the terrible ride of the FJ40.
One excellent bucket seat (which I fitted in my motorhome) is the Mazda 626. I do not know if can be fitted in a Defender.

Cheers

George130
1st January 2008, 09:10 AM
I was told similar before buying my TD5 130. Great rig. They will tow 3 ton without even noticing it. They are noisy but surprisingly comfortable. Your best bet is to test drive one.

VladTepes
2nd January 2008, 08:50 PM
Defenders are not a comfortable vehicle

Head light upgrade for night driving would probably be useful and not all that expensive either.

They are an awesome vehicle though. I think their biggest drop off point is cabin noise. I'm not sure how effectively people are able to insulate them but plenty of people on here have done it.

Xavier

1. Compared to what ?

2. The headlights in the 2007 Defender are MUCH better than in my '94 model let me tell you.

3. I also think that the cabin noise is lower in the new model defender as compared to mine. Maybe its the engine that's quieter though.

Go for it Aussie Nomad !

incisor
2nd January 2008, 09:07 PM
defenders are a very comfortable unit to drive over long distances imho.

i moved from a disco to a defender and i have to say i am fresher after 17 hours at the wheel in the defender than i ever was in the disco.

but, you need to ensure your body shape is suitable

that said there are plenty of things you can do to get better seat posture, eg the easy to make parallel seat rails or the even better tapered mudrails. both lift your seating height which dramatically alters leg length, and the mudrails alter the angle you sit at as well, making an even better improvement imho.

VladTepes
2nd January 2008, 11:51 PM
I predict aussie nomad will sook out.;)

abaddonxi
3rd January 2008, 07:26 AM
Tell us where you are. I'm sure somebody will be happy for you to try out their seats in the driveway for a couple of hours.
:D:D:D

I'm in Inner West Sydney.

Cheers
Simon

rick130
3rd January 2008, 11:21 AM
It really surprises me when I hear Defenders are uncomfortable.
As Inc points out, have those that have derided the Defender spent any time behind the wheel ?
The (standard) drivers seat in mine is lifted 20mm, and all I know is that I jump out of it far fresher than I do out of the GU Patrol we also have. The Defender seat has much more lumber support than the Nissan, and even though the squab appears too short, the more upright driving position ensures my clutch leg is more vertical and not canted over to the left as it is the Patrol. This eliminates the chronic knee pain I experience driving the Patrol.
The air con is OK in the crew cab or truck cab.
As for the rest of the ergonomics, a lot of 'fenders I see have the gear lever positioned far too away from the driver, almost in the centre of the vehicle meaning it's a hell of a reach to the gear lever and makes changing gears a chore. This is easily remedied as the lever position is adjustable, it's mounted on a spline on the extension housing and just needs a nut undone and the lever repositioned nearer the driver.
Why most come from the factory with the lever so far away is a bit of a mystery, but I suspect this may have a bearing on some of the folklore behind the Defenders poor driving position.

Noisy ? tick.
Rattly ? tick.
Leak water and dust ? tick.
Restricted vision out the drivers window if tall ? tick.

Otherwise, a great vehicle for touring or work, and a much better, more comfortable and engaging drive than a Troopy, but in reality you get used to whatever you spend most of your time in.

Quarks
3rd January 2008, 11:43 AM
I predict aussie nomad will sook out.;)

I don't think 'sook out' will be quite right - maybe 'sober up'?

He did say he was going to have another red...

And liked the sexiness of the defender...

:D

But I still hope he tries ;)

VladTepes
3rd January 2008, 11:54 AM
What rick says is right - I'm tall (in the upper body is where it is it would seem) and next time I break the windscreen im gonna get one w/out the blue tinted band - so I can see through it better.
I don;t think LIFTING the seats any higher would do me any good.
As far as seeing sky out of the side windows - forget it.

Would I buiy another Defender ?

You betcha !!

Gillie
3rd January 2008, 02:07 PM
Before I got my defender I asked the same questions and had the same concerns. I am 6ft 3" and have no problems what so ever. I drive about 1000 km a week in it and find it cery comfortable. The seats though quiet simple to look at give suprisingly good support. I thought I would have to extend the seat rails for more lef room but never worried about it and I don't think I would. The handbrake was a concern of mine but you don't even notice it and it is a good place to rest your leg. I also thought that the b pillar would be a pain in the bum but I never really noticed it.
the Big thing that caught me by suprise was catching my pants on the door lock when getting in. Probbaly something that all defender owners have done ONCE. It hasn't caught me out again!
Would I buy another. for Sure! In fact the wife wants one now after reading the posting on 10 sexiest cars!

Did I mention I know where one is for sale?:D
AULRO Classifieds - Message - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds (http://www.aulro.com/apc/showproduct.php/product/1441/cat/9)

VladTepes
3rd January 2008, 03:04 PM
Hmm message on its way by email I suspect.

abaddonxi
3rd January 2008, 03:36 PM
What rick says is right - I'm tall (in the upper body is where it is it would seem) and next time I break the windscreen im gonna get one w/out the blue tinted band - so I can see through it better.
I don;t think LIFTING the seats any higher would do me any good.
As far as seeing sky out of the side windows - forget it.

Would I buiy another Defender ?

You betcha !!

x2

Cheers
Simon

Aaron
3rd January 2008, 06:19 PM
I had all the same concerns before I bought one. Now I cant imagine having anything else. The comfort is amazing, the noise isnt THAT bad.

As for the abilities of a purpose build 4wd.... It does everything really well :D

Im 6'5, I installed the MUD Rails.

Get one...

Aaron
3rd January 2008, 06:28 PM
I have a 110 BTW.

I wouldn't like to park a 130 :P

rick130
4th January 2008, 07:33 AM
Christ, you lot are all taller than me ! :o
I feel like the little bloke, I'm only just under 6'2", but I'm all legs, and with the seat raised the driving position is, as I've already said, great.

Thanks Vlad, I was thinking of getting a banded screen, maybe I should give that one a miss......

rick130
4th January 2008, 07:39 AM
I have a 110 BTW.

just live in the country like I do, then you can park any where you damn well please :D

Ok, ok, when I go to town everything is reverse parked, it isn't that much of an issue, but it is a revelation when I'm driving the Pootrol and I can actually do a U turn in a narrow(ish, not including those things laughably called lanes and streets where Simon lives) street instead of a reverse U'y or 5 point forward turn.....

VladTepes
4th January 2008, 08:23 AM
I have a 110 BTW.

Sook, HTFU !!!! :D

abaddonxi
4th January 2008, 01:34 PM
Parking is no problem, I don't hear the screams and crunches over the engine noise.:D

Cheers
Simon