PDA

View Full Version : Refitting Door Tops

DiscoDave
1st January 2008, 11:56 AM
This has to be one of the simplest operations on a Land Rover right? I mean there is no way anyone could stuff this up is there? Except I can't get it right. :angel:
I removed the door tops from my soft-top 109 the other week when I was driving round with the top off (loads of fun!) but now I've come to put the tops back on they don't angle in to the roof enough. There's a gap at the top you could put your hand through. They didn't fit that well originally but now they just look stupid! There doesn't seem to be any adjustment, no shims or anything fell off that I noticed, and to forestall the comedians - yes I am putting them back the right way round on the correct doors! :p
Can someone tell me what is going on? :confused:

tony
1st January 2008, 02:25 PM
Dave, Too much Christmas spriit..........emphasise on the word sprit.....

But in all seriousness....tighten up the nuts on the top frame where they go through the door bottom and bend in wards until fitting correctly thats all i do

Tony

Slunnie
1st January 2008, 03:39 PM
Is the rubber seal underneath it in the correct way?

JDNSW
1st January 2008, 04:04 PM
Mostly there is a fair bit of slack between the mounting pins and the tubes they fit in, and you have to hold the top of the door in while you tighten the bolts.

John

DiscoDave
2nd January 2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks for your replies! :)

Tony - I'm not clear what you are telling me to bend? Bend the pins where they come out of the door top? *sound of rusty metal breaking apart*

Slunnie - is this a good time to say "what rubber seal"? Does the seal help incline the door tops?

John - the pins on mine are a bit rusty. Maybe that's all it is - clean off the rust and I might get enough play to achieve the correct angle. I'll give it a try. ;)

dobbo
2nd January 2008, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE=DiscoDave;662638]

Slunnie - is this a good time to say "what rubber seal"? Does the seal help incline the door tops?
QUOTE]

Thats what I was thinking

Dave put the door top on whilst the door is open, tighten the back nuts up first then the fronts whilst the doors are shut, a bit more hassle but I managed to get the windows fitting right doing it this way.

scrambler
2nd January 2008, 01:36 PM
Re rubber seals - there's a rubber strip between the hinged part of the door and top of the door. Usually it adheres to the top so might not have been noticed. If missing, replace.

If you slack off the nuts you will find the top of the door will be able to angle over perhaps a 5 degree arc. Hold it in and retighten. On mine it will "naturally" sit about where you are describing yours is sitting. I guess Dobbo's procedure is as good as mine - I'd do up both bolts with the door open but check that you got the angle right before fully tightening.

DiscoDave
2nd January 2008, 11:09 PM
Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. :)
Closer inspection shows the rubber seals are present, worn and painted over, attached to the door tops.

I've figured out what's going on. When I had the top off the 109 I removed the canvas and the hoops and lowered the windscreen. However I quickly found driving with the windscreen down is not a good idea without protective gear on and raised it by the side of the road. I later put the hoops and canvas back up but not the doortops. The problem was the winscreen was not at the correct angle to match the door-tops. Shutting the doors with the tops in place caused them to hit part of the windscreen clamp mechanism (concealed low down beneath the door rubbers) which pushed out the tops so they had a ridiculous gap at the top edge.
I loosened all the bolts in the hoop frame and windscreen clamps and used a couple of cargo straps to pull the windscreen to the correct angle then re-tightened the bolts.
Now my doors have only the normal gaps at the edges. :D

Dinty
3rd January 2008, 09:32 AM
G'day All, have you lost the rubber strip from underneath the screen as well, if it's missing or U/S get a replacement from rubber stores approx 25mm x 6-8mm thick cut to length, then you will have to apply pressure to the screen frame to bring it back into line with the door tops, this rubber fits under the screen and on top of the B/head, cheers Dennis:wasntme: