PDA

View Full Version : Please excuse my Ignorance but.....

Tank
2nd January 2008, 03:53 PM
Does the new Defender come with an Auto box option, Thanks, Regards Frank.

George130
2nd January 2008, 03:54 PM
No.
You could convert it though.

spudboy
2nd January 2008, 05:33 PM
That'd be expensive! Fork out for a new car and then have to mod it for an auto box.

The new 6 speed is a beautiful gearbox to operate. Light. Accurate. Have you tried one, or do you just have to have an auto for whatever reason?

numpty
2nd January 2008, 05:47 PM
No.
You could convert it though.

I understand it would not be an easy conversion, as there is no vehicle on the market running the Transit engine which has an auto attached. Therefore it would mean picking a box and modifying and adjusting everything to suit.

Not impossible of course, but the 200/300tdi and Td5 engines have a ready made donor box from the Discovery, which makes the job a lot easier.

George130
2nd January 2008, 06:46 PM
I understand it would not be an easy conversion, as there is no vehicle on the market running the Transit engine which has an auto attached. Therefore it would mean picking a box and modifying and adjusting everything to suit.

Not impossible of course, but the 200/300tdi and Td5 engines have a ready made donor box from the Discovery, which makes the job a lot easier.

True. Could be fun to do anyway. Glad I don't have the money to try:D

Blknight.aus
2nd January 2008, 06:59 PM
I might be wrong but I understand that frod has copied a landrover tradition and the bellhousing to fit the manual is from something else which can have an auto so all you would probably have to do is make up a new engine-bellhousing adaptor o suit the engine and whichever ford auto you wanted to install...

IF they kept the r380 bellhousing layout (highly unlikey but) then the bellhousing from a d2 auto will cut the mustard.

If scallops is still interested in doing a side by side of his 07110 and my 02110 then lots and lots of stuff shall be revealed.

camel_landy
2nd January 2008, 08:01 PM
I might be wrong but I understand that frod has copied a landrover tradition and the bellhousing to fit the manual is from something else which can have an auto so all you would probably have to do is make up a new engine-bellhousing adaptor o suit the engine and whichever ford auto you wanted to install...

IF they kept the r380 bellhousing layout (highly unlikey but) then the bellhousing from a d2 auto will cut the mustard.

If scallops is still interested in doing a side by side of his 07110 and my 02110 then lots and lots of stuff shall be revealed.

The engine and gearbox are both Ford units and completely different to what has gone before (IIRC - the gearbox is the MT82). On the back of the gearbox, there is a spacer block and then into the transfer box.

The other thing you'd have to consider is how to deal with the ECU and the decisions it makes based on inputs from the gearbox.

HTH

M

loanrangie
2nd January 2008, 08:37 PM
Ashcroft have been converting a new 90 using a ZF, has taken them months to convert, they still use an LT230 tc so its the bellhousing end causing the drama's.

Captain_Rightfoot
2nd January 2008, 08:40 PM
I would suggest it's cheaper to fix your left leg than install an auto :) That's what I'd do. :)

Manuals are more fun anyway :)

Tank
2nd January 2008, 10:59 PM
That'd be expensive! Fork out for a new car and then have to mod it for an auto box.

The new 6 speed is a beautiful gearbox to operate. Light. Accurate. Have you tried one, or do you just have to have an auto for whatever reason?
I just believe there is no better transmission for off-road work, they are much kinder to driveline components and you dont need to flog the engine to get up over an obstacle. The auto only requires light throttle to overcome most obstacles, at low revs torque is increased which allows better rock crawling.
I suppose it's what you come to like better over the years, I have had a mix of manual g/boxes and autos and in my opinion the auto is my choice, coupled with front and rear lockers there's not many places I cant go, but to each, his own.
My Son just informed that Transits have a type of semi-auto gearbox available behind the diesel, anyone know anything about them, how they work and are the Ford motor in the Defender the same as in the Transit, Regards Frank.

camel_landy
3rd January 2008, 05:25 AM
I just believe there is no better transmission for off-road work, they are much kinder to driveline components and you dont need to flog the engine to get up over an obstacle. The auto only requires light throttle to overcome most obstacles, at low revs torque is increased which allows better rock crawling.

I will agree that autos are an excellent choice for off-road work (once you get used to the way they work on steep drops!!!). However... I will say that you should give the new Defender a try before completely writing off the manual gearbox.

Stick it in 1st-Lo and make it go over something on tickover... The anti-stall will let it do a lot more than people think!

M

dobbo
3rd January 2008, 06:37 AM
The 6 speed is very smooth, 1st is very very low and in low range the car cannot be stalled. An automatic conversion on this vehicle is not really required. The only things I would change on the vehicle is a price drop, get the rear windows electric or the front manual so they are all the same, a rethink of that bloody ugly dashboard (110's shouldn't have a dashboard) and have a bit of waterproof shielding for the ECU considering it's bolted to the firewall.

Xavie
3rd January 2008, 07:13 AM
I'm surprised that there is not a transit engine running an auto gearbox.

But, as an owner of the 6 speed manual it is a great gearbox (when working mine keeps going in for repairs). It is smooth, ratios are reasonable and it runs smoothly and quietly. It is far different to the ones of old.

Xavier.

Xavie
3rd January 2008, 07:16 AM
Stick it in 1st-Lo and make it go over something on tickover... The anti-stall will let it do a lot more than people think!

M

I must second that. I stuffed up and went in to the wrong gear going in to a steep sandy incline. I needed to be in 1st but was in 3rd. Although it did not let me accelerate and it was to late for me to change in to 1st it just chugged up the incline in 3rd with anti stall obviously in action and got me up there with no issues.

Xav

Pavo
3rd January 2008, 07:24 AM
Xavier, Frank,

I think there might be an auto for the Transit. I hired a Motor home in New Zealand about 2 years ago and it was a Transit with turbo deisel. It had a 5 speed auto, but no actual selecter. It had buttons on the dash and steering wheel. If I put it in manual mode, it even held on to the gears. I accidently stuck it in manual mode (without knowing) and it was in 5th. When I slowed down I tried to accelerate again and it just wouldn't go and was wondering why it wouldn't kick down...but it was my mistake.

I don't remember if this is the same engine as what is in the defender, but I'd think it might be. For some reason I seem to remember it was a 2.4L turbo.

And it struggled to keep 100km/hour if there was a slight incline, but I remember thinking that if it didn't have this ridiculous house on the back it would actually go very well. And the 5 speed auto worked well with it. Coming up steep passes (like up from Milford Sound) I just left it some gear (can't remember which) and it sat on it's 4000rpm limit happily. Really seemed to like being on 4000rpm unlike my 300tdi...but it could have been because it wasn't my car!!

It had just over 100,000kms on it and it drove well.

Sorry to get sidetracked, but this Transit definitely had a turbo deisel with a 5 speed auto.

Pete

dobbo
3rd January 2008, 07:38 AM
Don't worry Pavo

The one I hired was an automatic as well. Either that or I forgot to change gear or find/use the clutch for a few hundred km's.

LoveMyV8County
3rd January 2008, 10:03 AM
The Transits I've driven have had a semi-auto gearbox. Very easy to use, just press a button. If you want to reverse you have to press it twice, to be sure to be sure.

They have been impressively easy to drive and the motor has coped with good loads.

Chris

Tank
3rd January 2008, 12:29 PM
Some very interesting info, I have always found that 1st gear in nearly all 4WD's is too high and once in Low/Low if you run out of puff up a steep obstacle ridden track and find you are about to stall sticking your foot in usually makes matters worse with wheelspin, bucking and jumping all over the place. Which is hard on the driveline, but it seems from your comments that L/R have put a decent 1st gear in the new Defender.
I will have to try one out and also look into the Ford Transit semi-auto box as well, I have a Disco but I have always been a closet Defender nut, love 'em, Thanks for all of the replies, most appreciated, Regards Frank

Xavie
5th January 2008, 12:03 PM
Some very interesting info, I have always found that 1st gear in nearly all 4WD's is too high and once in Low/Low if you run out of puff up a steep obstacle ridden track and find you are about to stall sticking your foot in usually makes matters worse with wheelspin, bucking and jumping all over the place. Which is hard on the driveline, but it seems from your comments that L/R have put a decent 1st gear in the new Defender.
I will have to try one out and also look into the Ford Transit semi-auto box as well, I have a Disco but I have always been a closet Defender nut, love 'em, Thanks for all of the replies, most appreciated, Regards Frank

I assure you the 1st gear in new model deefer is a beauty. Even in hi range off road it goes well but once it is in low range 1st it feels like you may as well be driving a tractor.

Xav

camel_landy
5th January 2008, 07:55 PM

For going up-hill, we teach people to use "The highest practical gear". So that's typically 2nd or 3rd - It reduces the chance of torque spin (wheel spin)... However, with obstacles to negotiate part way too... That's where the practice and experience comes in (and maybe a little momentum). ;)

Give it a go and make your own mind up. :)

M