PDA

View Full Version : No roof or back wall - is it legal

srowlandson
12th January 2008, 09:56 AM
I am getting closer to registration of my SIIA LWB Ute, is it legal to attempt to register it woth no roof or back wall, the roof is in real bad shape and will take a lot longer to get fixed, and in the short term, i am happy to drive it around in convertible mode since the weathers good and I will actually very rarely use it.

Any thoughts?
Steve

lro11
12th January 2008, 10:21 AM
Steve, sorry that this is not related to your question but I am working on a similar project and I was wondering what you have decided to use for a tray?

JDNSW
12th January 2008, 11:57 AM
Not sure what you are referring to as a back wall, but basically there is no problem registering almost any Series landrover as a soft top, which does not need to have the top on for registration. The only issue is the upper seat belt mount, which may be a problem, but is not insoluble. Depending on its age, it may be legal without seat belts, although this is not a very good idea and you may have trouble convincing the authorities that it does not need them. A search should find other threads talking about the seat belt issues.

John

srowlandson
12th January 2008, 12:02 PM
Not sure what you are referring to as a back wall, but basically there is no problem registering almost any Series landrover as a soft top, which does not need to have the top on for registration. The only issue is the upper seat belt mount, which may be a problem, but is not insoluble. Depending on its age, it may be legal without seat belts, although this is not a very good idea and you may have trouble convincing the authorities that it does not need them. A search should find other threads talking about the seat belt issues.

John

cool, mine is a '64 and has no seatbelts in it nor does it have ANY mounts to indicate it ever had them.

srowlandson
12th January 2008, 12:03 PM
Steve, sorry that this is not related to your question but I am working on a similar project and I was wondering what you have decided to use for a tray?

wood - as close to original as i can, cheap, quick and easy.

might make a steel frame / wood deck later, but all wood for now.

JDNSW
12th January 2008, 12:13 PM
From the other posts I gather it was originally a tray top with cab. Since it does not have seat belts, I can see no reason why it should not be legal without the cab (roof and rear wall), although I would leave the door tops off as well, if driving it like that. However, I should point out that it will not be accepted for registration without a tray, rear mudguards and lights etc.

The trays were built locally in each state or even at dealer level, and differed widely. My 1961 2a, first registered in the NT, which I bought in 1966, had an all steel tray, which from memory was made in Adelaide.

John

srowlandson
12th January 2008, 12:16 PM
From the other posts I gather it was originally a tray top with cab. Since it does not have seat belts, I can see no reason why it should not be legal without the cab (roof and rear wall), although I would leave the door tops off as well, if driving it like that. However, I should point out that it will not be accepted for registration without a tray, rear mudguards and lights etc.

The trays were built locally in each state or even at dealer level, and differed widely. My 1961 2a, first registered in the NT, which I bought in 1966, had an all steel tray, which from memory was made in Adelaide.

John

My door tops are R/S hence i am hoping to get it registered before being 'finished'

tray won't be a problem, should knock it together in an afternoon from wood.