PDA

View Full Version : Any Such Thing As A Good 12v Mini Cooler ?

loanrangie
17th January 2008, 01:56 PM
As title says does anyone make a good 12v minicooler suitable for keeping in the car near the centre console , just big enough for a few cans a bottle of water and maybe some food ?

bblaze
17th January 2008, 10:31 PM
I have a little one that sits on the back floor, can reach easily when driving. Fits 8 cans and a couple of salad rolls (salad rolls end up a bit flat). I run it on my second battery, power it up first thing in the morning and turn off at the end of the day. Works better if things are cool when put in but still keeps things fresh and cool in the heat of the day. Its only a cheapie my son in law picked up for himself, he used it for 12 months, i have used it for 6 and cost all of $35. Will also heat to 60 degree
cheers
blaze

dmdigital
17th January 2008, 10:35 PM
Most of these are a peltier cooler (do a Google and you'll get an explanation). They will usually only drop the temp to 15C below ambient temp. That said there's nothing wrong with some of the coolers using this system but there are some very cheap and nasty ones on the market so watch what you buy.

HangOver
17th January 2008, 10:42 PM
you might be able to mod one to make it better I think the peltier is dependant more on the ability to remove the heat, (big sink & fan?) than the ambient temperature. Also I think they use a lot of energy.
Been a long time since i looked into them though.

amtravic1
17th January 2008, 10:49 PM
I have a Weaco one I use to keep my lunch in when I can be bothered making it. It works best if the items placed in it are already cold and it uses alot of power but its better than hot sandwiches and softdrinks if I did not have one. I cant be bothered with those brick things you freeze each night to put in a small esky etc.

Blknight.aus
17th January 2008, 10:59 PM
I have 3

1 is about the right size for the 3 of us for a daytrip (and if you want it since my win with an engle pickup you can have it dirt cheap + postage)

and I have 2 of those smaller portable units

I got one from jaycar and one from dicksmiths.

identical units.

I also purchased a 3a 24/12v inverter and a couple of switches for each, gutted them a bit and installed all that so mine work in rovers and trucks.

My usual load out is 2 water bottles (600ml) 4 pieces of fruit, 2 cans of softdrink and a douple pack of sangers. precooled whats left is still cool for afternoon smoko.

Just dont expect it to work like an eski when the power is turned off.

both have seen service in cranes and trucks and one has been on loan on ops...

plugma
17th January 2008, 11:11 PM
As mentioned previously... they are a peltier device and fairly power hungry. (4 amp min and more like 8 amp nominal)

If you do install one as a centre console (or elsewhere) make sure you wire it to your ignition accessory switch as they will easily drain a sizeable battery overnight.

Luxury landcruisers like the Lexus have them installed and they work fairly well, but even they only allow them run whilst the engine is running.

regards
m.

B92 8NW
17th January 2008, 11:40 PM
Dick Smith had bodgy ones for $19.95. I'm tempted to see how good they are, for $19.95 they can last a week and be thrown for all I care.

BUT, as my NY resolution was not to waste money on crap... I'll never know:D

Blknight.aus
18th January 2008, 06:52 AM
if those bodgey disksmiths ones you are talking about are the ones that are a greyish colour with a padded top strap and 2 can holding circles on the front end they are the same as the 2 that I have that I have modded....

they do good (as previously mentioned) providing the goods are cool-cold before you put it in.

VladTepes
18th January 2008, 11:01 AM
I have a Weaco one I use to keep my lunch in when I can be bothered making it. It works best if the items placed in it are already cold and it uses alot of power but its better than hot sandwiches and softdrinks if I did not have one. I cant be bothered with those brick things you freeze each night to put in a small esky etc.

I was going to say that !

loanrangie
18th January 2008, 12:25 PM
I dont want to buy junk so is it worthwhile paying the extra for a Waeco then ? It will sit on the floor behind the console in the disco and will be wiired to the aux batt - i'm planning on a merit/cigi socket under the pass seat or attched to centre console.

VladTepes
18th January 2008, 12:33 PM
Well mine is a Waeco - sort of - the sticker is coming off already so it's just a made in China special like everything else BUT I reckon if I were to have any problems with it (I haven't) then at least Waeco are local to fix it or replace it.

Mine (as do many) has a heating and a cooling function (not simultaneously one hopes!). The heating function is good if you crank it up in advance and have a long drive to go and get the chinese take away and then bring it back home. Also if you were camping in the cold you could pull up, take oput your nice warm meal and be merrily eating away while your mates are still looking for the hose to attach their stove to the gas cylinder ! :)

I got the $99 one from Anaconda. I think they are available a little bit cheaper now.
WAECO mobile solutions (http://www.waeco.com.au/products.asp?id=50&catId=57&subCatId=58&subCatId2=63)
The TB-15G is good in place of the centre seat in a ute (or even on it) as the sloped front allows easy accessw to the gear and transfer levers still. And there's still plenty of room in it for a few drinks and sambos.

dogrock
5th February 2008, 10:13 PM
The only reliable one would be the Waeco, however be warned if you turn the engine off, say for lunch and are away too long it will draine the battery, if left on.

;) Dogrock

95 3.9l Disco

Bushwanderer
5th February 2008, 11:15 PM
Hi All,
Please be aware that there is is thermal relationship between cooler size and proportional heat loss (ie: less efficiency).

Technically, what is involved is that (all things being equal) the larger the volume, the lower is the PROPORTIONAL surface area & therefore the proportional heat loss.

What this means is that bigger is PROPORTIONALLY better.

Nevertheless, the larger the unit, the higher the heat losses, therefore, don't get a bigger unit than you need.

I think that I've made this as clear as mud & so I would welcome those more qualified to explain it better. :(

Best Wishes,

p38arover
6th February 2008, 03:29 AM
An alternative would be to look for an old Toyota Crown. They had a refridgerator in the rear parcel shelf. I don't know if they were Peltier device cooled or compressor operated.

langy
7th February 2008, 11:47 PM
I did some looking into Mr B's post about the Toyota Crown - as a small esky in the rear parcel shelf sounded appealing: alas, for those who were thinking along the same lines it is not to be. The 'Cooler Box' is part of the rear aircon system. Toyota split the refrigerant lines so a pair go to the boot, and there a copy of the front A/C unit nestles above the fuel tank and below the parcel shelf. The cooler box is merely next to the coils. The pictures are of a 84 Crown at P & P Blacktown

HangOver
8th February 2008, 01:26 AM
what puzzles me is how come the waeco coolers are better?
As far as I know a peltier is a peltier.

Just wondered

lewy
9th February 2008, 10:43 AM
these are better

New Inventors: Stubby Cooler (http://www.abc.net.au/tv/newinventors/txt/s2040197.htm)