PDA

View Full Version : Deefer 07 engine oil?

Xavie
17th January 2008, 01:33 PM
I've done a site search and spoken to my L.R. mechanic this morning and was interested in some opinions. It'll be first oil change in the Defender and I'm not sure what oil to use (07 model).

The L.R. man says 0w-40 (mobil) or 5w-40 (mobil) (actually it may of been 5w-50 I don't have my notes next to me, sorry). This some what surprised me but I don't really know much about this sort of thing so I need advice. He said it is same gear that they used in td5 and tdi by the sounds of it.

Also, is it important that the same oil is used all the time I.e. will it harm the engine by using different oils? I do realise that it must always be synthetic in this engine. I plan on keeping my scheduled services with L.R. and then doing an oil change myself every 6,000 as scheduled is at 12,000 Km's and I think this is to far between changes.

And as a side note: If someone could explain if I should be changing diff oil as well at the same time as engine. I know how to do it but I don't know much about it other then that.

Thanks in advance,
Xavier

dullbird
17th January 2008, 08:02 PM
hi
landrover recommend 5w-30, i have just bought castrol fully synthetic for my top up.
personally i would not be changing oil so quickly, considering the advances of oil technology. i think 10,000 would be more realistic unless of course you use your landrover particually hard there ofr decreasing the service intervals..i dont see any reason to change the diff oils for a year or two unless you have been wading.

according to my book landrover service interval is recomended at 20,000 not 12,000

muddymech

Xavie
17th January 2008, 08:20 PM
hi
land rover recommend 5w-30, i have just bought castrol fully synthetic for my top up.
personally i would not be changing oil so quickly, considering the advances of oil technology. i think 10,000 would be more realistic unless of course you use your land rover particularly hard there ofr decreasing the service intervals..i don't see any reason to change the diff oils for a year or two unless you have been wading.

according to my book land rover service interval is recommended at 20,000 not 12,000

muddymech

Hmm....... I have not read anything about 20,000 km service but I'll re-check that. And thanks for diff info I did not think it was important to change that often and i'm pleased it is not!

But I am surprised to hear which oil you say L.R. recommend because they told me a different story. Where did you get your recommendations?

Also, is it important to use the same oil all the time or it doesn't matter?

Thanks muddymech.

dullbird
17th January 2008, 08:38 PM
according to the landrover hand book

you need a 5w-30 meeting landrover specification wss-m2c913-b

i decided to go for fully synthetic oil at 5w-30 as i did not know what would be its equivalant and was not prepared to buy from landrover direct.

not very impressed as they list manufactuors for all the other oils needed except the engine.

it states in the land rover service portfolio on page at that it is to be serviced every 20,000k

muddymech

JohnR
17th January 2008, 11:02 PM
When I first picked up my car they said to me every 12,000km after reading my book I went back and asked them why not 20,000km they got a bit nervous and said just to be sure. I keep asking a few different people at LR and I eventually found it that it should be 20,000km and the other person had made a mistake they were thinking the old model??? I just think they were confused! It seems to be taking them a little while to get up to speed with the changes in the new model.

Cheers,

Xavie
18th January 2008, 07:34 AM
When I first picked up my car they said to me every 12,000km after reading my book I went back and asked them why not 20,000km they got a bit nervous and said just to be sure. I keep asking a few different people at LR and I eventually found it that it should be 20,000km and the other person had made a mistake they were thinking the old model??? I just think they were confused! It seems to be taking them a little while to get up to speed with the changes in the new model.

Cheers,

wow, thanks JohnR. I have to admit I read about the 20,000km but thought that was an error because it seemed to good to be true. But that's excellent. When I pick up my defender from warranty issues I'll get my logbooks out and check everything again.

Xavier

Pedro_The_Swift
18th January 2008, 08:13 AM
There are a LOT of which oil is best posts,,
and some very savy oil people on here--

I'd do a LOT more searching and researching before you settle on anything.

BigJon
18th January 2008, 09:12 AM
There might be a 20 000km service interval, but check the conditions.
There is always a proviso, eg if you do stop start driving, towing, high speed high temp driving, etc, the interval is brought back to 10 000km.

Most Australin vehicle will fall into at least one of those categories.

RMB3218
6th February 2008, 06:26 AM
There might be a 20 000km service interval, but check the conditions.
There is always a proviso, eg if you do stop start driving, towing, high speed high temp driving, etc, the interval is brought back to 10 000km.

Most Australin vehicle will fall into at least one of those categories.

I spoke to MLR in Melb yesterday. According to them LRA is saying that Australia is defined as "harsh conditions" and that ALL 07 fenders should have oil/filter change at 10,000km

Captain_Rightfoot
6th February 2008, 06:48 AM
This has been discussed before, and as much as you can have consensus on this type of issue Mobil Delvac 1 seems to be the premium choice.