PDA

View Full Version : Which is your pick?

Chucaro
21st January 2008, 09:29 PM
I am on the market for a UHF to fit in the Disco.
What it is your choice
GME TX 3220
Uniden UH 012
Or pay heaps more for the Icom IC400 (crack it up to 25 w :angel:)
if you know where are good deals let me know
Cheers

Ken
21st January 2008, 10:15 PM
Have a look here Prestige Communications, Lowest Prices in Australia Guaranteed! (http://www.prestigecom.net.au) :)

Chucaro
21st January 2008, 10:33 PM
Thanks mate, have you heard about the Vertex VX 2500U ? Apparently is as good as the Icom and it is cheaper. Also is 25 w ;)
Cheers

tombraider
21st January 2008, 10:37 PM
1. go the GME

2. Whats the point of 25w out if noone can transmit back to you?
eg. your shouting loud, and theyre shouting softly back..

Xavie
21st January 2008, 10:54 PM
I went the Icom after researching them all including the vertex one. Icom are just such a nice bit of gear. They are pricey but I think they are worth it. Mind you they are freaking confusing and I just wish people would go back to 27mhz.

I used prestige any many other people here used them too with reasonable results and always a good price.

If you like the other radios just choose what you think will suit you especially if it is cheaper. I truly believe there is very little difference in any of the units performance.

Xavier.

CraigE
22nd January 2008, 12:33 AM
I would go GME or Uniden depending on price and what you like. The Icom is not really worth the extra cost. I have had a couple of Unidens and they are good for their price. Have had the current one 12 years with no real dramas except had to replace a hand piece 2 years ago.
CraigE

lokka
22nd January 2008, 02:18 AM
Keep an eye on ebay for either a syntrax or an fm900 philips both will give 25watts out and both will out last anything else they may be bigger but you should get one for around 100 bucks ready to go :D:D:D

Chucaro
22nd January 2008, 05:58 AM
Thanks mates, Unidens start from $ 245,00 and GME from $ 295.00. I guess that 60 or 100 savings is ok.
I was under the impression that with 25w I will have more chance of some body pick up an emergency call.
Also i was thinking in the Icom because it is made to army specs and it is very solid and use aluminium case where the heat disperse.
Cheers

Treads
22nd January 2008, 07:47 AM
I was under the impression that with 25w I will have more chance of some body pick up an emergency call.
Unfortunately, NO - difference between 5w and 25w with UHF makes bugger-all improvement in range. Simply due to the way UHF works :(

Also i was thinking in the Icom because it is made to army specs and it is very solid and use aluminium case where the heat disperse.
Icom's are well built, good units.

Try also Alinco DR-435 on Ebay, we are having great success with that brand gear at work. Very sturdy :BigThumb:

Chucaro
22nd January 2008, 08:05 AM
Unfortunately, NO - difference between 5w and 25w with UHF makes bugger-all improvement in range. Simply due to the way UHF works :(

Icom's are well built, good units.

Try also Alinco DR-435 on Ebay, we are having great success with that brand gear at work. Very sturdy :BigThumb:

The Alicon is 35w, but after you said that the watts over 5 is useless in UHF, why bother to pay $100 more than the Uniden UHO-089SX for $ 239.00?
It Alicon will have better reception quality ? or simple better made like the Icom?

Treads
22nd January 2008, 08:31 AM
The Alicon is 35w, but after you said that the watts over 5 is useless in UHF, why bother to pay $100 more than the Uniden UHO-089SX for $ 239.00?
It Alicon will have better reception quality ? or simple better made like the Icom?

I just like their build quality. 35w makes a small improvement on range, but not enough to matter. Clarity of a 25-35w unit may be better in thick scrub though :question: as UHF is soaked up by vegetation a lot more than other bands

Psimpson7
7th March 2008, 05:06 PM
Guys, I am also in the market for a UHF, hope you dont mind me posting here... what about this one?

Uniden UH015SX Remote Head UHF CB Radio [UH015SX] : UHF CB Radio, GPS Navigation, Radar Detectors, Prestige Communications , Lowest Prices in Australia Guaranteed! (http://www.prestigecom.net.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=352&zenid=aaf242019e9602e703811798d6a056e4)

Is that any good? Sorry not much experience of them!

Cheers
Pete

isuzu110
7th March 2008, 05:23 PM
I have a UH088sx from Prestige Communications bundled with an antenna. Got a good price and quick delivery.

Have transmitted and received to friends 16K away (without repeater) from the Toonumbar range to Sheepstation Creek in Northern NSW.

Like most things, there are probably better units out there, but is the incremental cost worth it ?

jik22
7th March 2008, 05:49 PM
I think any of the major brands will do what you need. I have a GME unit in the car, and both GME and Uniden handhelds. Icom would be worth it if you needed the extra private channels, but the 25w is pointless on UHF (and illegal!) as you will hardly notice the difference form 5w. Spend the extra on decent cabling and antenna, as it will give you more benefit.