PDA

View Full Version : High Speed Transfer Case with a 2.25p ?

nobbydoldrums
24th January 2008, 10:15 PM
G'day Folks,

I opened up the transfer case on my 109" SIII the other day to investigate the backlash and found the output shaft splines fairly worn and ditto with the mating inner face of the low ratio gear. Intermediate gears also showed a fair bit of slop on their stationary shaft (assume this is the roller bearings to blame).

Given the need to replace the output shaft and bearings I'm considering going for a high speed kit from fwds at the same time.

Now to the question... with a HS transfer kit will the 2.25 petrol be able to cope or am I wasting my time? I may go for a holden 6 down the track, but for the time being I'd like to achieve 100kph on the four without ear defenders. Obviously going up hill would require changing down but most of the driving in this country of ours is on long flat roads.

Darren.

Blknight.aus
24th January 2008, 10:48 PM
Providing the engine is in good nick (and tune) and your not running heavily loaded or on uber fat rubber (or over tall rubber) then you should be able to achieve what your after with the 2.25 and the highspeed gearset.

Just dont go expecting the normal neck breaking acceleration...:angel:

LandyAndy
25th January 2008, 06:32 PM
Fitting the holden stromberg carby will help it pull the gearset no probs.
Make sure you get a vairiable main jet so you can tune it to suit the smaller motor.
Be carefull not to run it too lean,you will burn a valve,BEEN THERE DONE THAT!!!!
The carb bolts straight on,linkages easily adapted.
Andrew

nobbydoldrums
25th January 2008, 09:53 PM
Many thanks for the advice... Now will have to see if the bank balance holds out to afford the kit :)